Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Colonia Trophy Dash (continued)

The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: The Colonia Trophy Dash. A Standing Challenge Event in Colonia

mf0s9Xq.png

"The Colonia Trophy Dash is a time trial race that is intended to be an ongoing standing challenge with all waypoints in the Colonia region. All waypoints accept all three size classes of ship, so all ship types can compete. In a similar manner to the A* Challenge, the race will be split into Classic and Unlimited classes and the fastest times for each ship class will also be recorded."

Due to health reasons @Edelgard von Rhein is currently taking a break from the day-to-day management of the Colonia Trophy Dash so I will be taking over the running of this standing Buckyball challenge in the meantime.

You can find full details of the race in the OP of the original race thread as quoted below. The only difference while I'm running this is that submissions should be sent in a forum PM to me rather than to Edelgard.

The Colonia Trophy Dash is a time trial race that is intended to be an ongoing standing challenge with all waypoints in the Colonia region. All waypoints accept all three size classes of ship, so all ship types can compete. In a similar manner to the A* Challenge, the race will be split into Classic and Unlimited classes and the fastest times for each ship class will also be recorded.
There are two separate race classes: Classic and Unlimited. In Classic, no Engineering, FSD synthesis or Guardian technology is permitted but Neutron star and White Dwarf jet cone boosts are permitted: this is intended to both allow a level playing field and to encourage new players to race. In Unlimited, Engineering, FSD synthesis and Guardian Technology are all permitted. The use of Supercruise Assist and Docking Computers is not allowed in either category.
Note that it is necessary to have Elite: Dangerous: Horizons to participate.The Buckyball Racing Club's Discord server (https://discord.gg/YwxcsCf) and website (http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk) provide helpful information on entering a race and hints and tips for improving your flying skills.
Race times in Classic class are expected to vary considerably but a vessel with a decent jump range should be able to complete the course in under an hour, depending on chance factors such as planetary alignments. In comparison, Unlimited times are anticipated to be approximately 45 minutes or less but will also vary significantly by ship, loadout and pilot experience, with the very top pilots possibly completing the course in under 25 minutes in racing-optimised ships. Participants may take part in any play mode they wish but Open play is encouraged in order to meet other racers on the course.

Race Outline
The race begins at the Dove Enigma megaship in the Colonia system and ends at Jaques station, also in Colonia. After leaving the Dove Enigma, the course proceeds through the following locations, in order, before returning to Jaques:
  • Colonia Dream, Ratraii. (Coriolis)
  • Moore's Charm, Luchtaine. (Asteroid Base)
  • Brazilian Dream, Santos Dumont. (Plantery Port)
  • Vera Rubin Complex, Garuda. (Planetary Port)
  • Pedersen's Legacy, Mobia. (Planetary Port)
  • Fort Mug, Eol Procul Centauri. (Planetary Port)
  • Mortimer's Charm, Kinesi. (Orbis)
The starting point for the race is the Megaship Dove Enigma. Large landing pad availability is limited so, to race in Open if there are no free pads, it is possible to dock in Solo mode and then switch to Open once docked: a new instance will be created to accommodate you. Remember that, after landing, the pad still needs to turn around as normal so remember to enter the hangar and then return to the surface to avoid beginning with the pad turning around.
LL3dbA5.png

The megaship Dove Engima seen against the background of the Colonia Nebula.
The first port of call in the race is Colonia Dream, the first Coriolis to be constructed in the Colonia region after Jaques' arrival. It is in close orbit of a moon that is itself in close orbit of its parent planet.
F7CsBVy.png

The Coriolis station Colonia Dream seen next to Ratraii A 3 a, with Ratraii A 3 in the background.
The next stop is the Luchtaine system, where the Engineer Mel Brandon operates from The Brig, but the race calls instead at the nearby asteroid base Moore's Charm, located adjacent to the gas giant's rings.
21w8h3E.png

The asteroid base Moore's Charm, located adjacent to the rings of Luchtaine A 1.
The third stop on the race is a challenging high-gravity environment, at the planetary port Brazilian Dream on the ringed high metal content world Santos Dumont 6. The surface gravity here is 2.98g but the view is spectacular, as the base is located at high latitude and has a good view of the rings.
59aBcZV.png

The planetary port Brazilian Dream, on Santos Dumont 6, currently has the highest surface gravity of any settlement in Colonia.
After the high-gravity of the previous stop, comes a more complex low-gravity environment, with Vera Rubin Complex which is located on one of a pair of binary moons orbiting Garuda A 1. At 0.06g, this is the lowest gravity port of call in the race. This port is almost always on the dark side of the moon (it may be possible for it to be on the daylight side but it is very difficult to predict when this might happen).
AVjUIGU.png

The planetary port Vera Rubin Complex, on Garuda A 1 b, which is a binary moon with A 1 a seen in shadow in the background, with the gas giant A 1 in the distance.
Another relatively low gravity planetary port follows, with Pedersen's Legacy on Mobia A 1 a. This metal-rich moon is notable for its bright colour, its close orbit of its parent planet and is potato shape. The base can be found inside a crater that is, in turn, inside one of the largest impact craters on the moon.
i5OKzxx.png

Pedersen's Legacy on Mobia A 1 a is located in a crater inside one of the largest impact craters on this small, metal-rich moon.
The final planetary port in the race is Fort Mug, located on the surface of the innermost planet of Eol Procul Centauri, which is named Hutton Moon. This is a moderately high gravity environment, with a surface gravity of 1.31g. The planet is tidally locked and the base is on the dark side.
7XVtcIo.png

Fort Mug on the planet Hutton Moon, the innermost world in Eol Procul Centauri, is a moderately high gravity environment and is in perpetual night thanks to tidal locking.
The penultimate port of call is the Orbis station Mortimer's Charm. Located adjacent to the rings of Kinesi 5, it commands spectacular views of this Earth-like World.
o8CZRZi.png

Mortimer's Charm in orbit of a rare ringed Earth-like World, Kinesi 5, is the only Orbis station in the race, located adjacent to the planet's rings.
Finally, the race ends where it all began in Colonia: Jaques station. Ever since its famous misjump, this station has remained in a highly-inclined orbit of the ringed gas giant now known as Colonia 4. There are several tourist beacons close to the station and tour ships can be seen approaching and leaving the station constantly. There is a detention centre in a nearby system if you should have an 'accident' on approach! Jaques also harbours a Guardian Tech Broker and has some of the best outfitting in the region but Colonia still lacks many A-rated modules.
G28Qje9.png

Jaques station seen against the backdrop of the ringed gas giant Colonia 4, has a polar orbit that often provides spectacular views of the gas giant's ring system.
Submitting a Race Entry
The race is an ongoing standing challenge, so entries are welcome at any time. Please declare an intent to race in this thread, in order that other participants can look out for you on the course. It is not required if you prefer not to, however. Race entries are submitted by sending a PM to me on the Frontier Forums with the following information:
  • CMDR name
  • Race Mode (Classic or Unlimited)
  • Ship name
  • Ship type
  • Race time
  • Link to race evidence (video or screenshots, see below)
Race Evidence: the following information must be provided by screenshots (taken with the F10 key in-game on PC, console versions have alternative bindings) or be visible on a video. Screenshots can no longer be hosted on the forum and must be uploaded elsewhere (e.g. Imgur or equivalent) and a link provided. Video entries should be uploaded to a suitable video-hosting service (e.g. YouTube or equivalent) and the link provided.
  • Outfitting of the ship showing the Core Internal and Optional Internal modules, with the jump range visible. Alternatively, the modules list in the right hand panel is acceptable. (1 or 2 screenshots)
  • The ship on the pad, docked, at the Dove Enigma megaship showing the clock: this will be your start time. (1 screenshot)
  • The ship on the pad, docked, at each of the above locations, showing the clock, in order. (7 screenshots)
  • The ship on the pad, docked, at Jaques station showing the clock. This will be your finish time. (1 screenshot)
This requires a total of 10 or 11 screenshots, depending on how the module information is captured, if video is not used. For examples of suitable screenshots when submitting race evidence, see also the Buckyball Racing Club's website.

Taking a Rebuy
There are some challenging locations on the course and the possibility of ship destruction awaits at every landing. This will not necessarily invalidate the run. So that deliberate destruction gives no advantage, the following rules apply:
  • If you respawn ahead of yourself on the course, e.g. at the location you were attempting to land at or reach next, the run is void.
  • Respawning at your previous port of call is allowed.
  • Respawning at a Detention Centre is allowed.

Additional Notes​
The longest jump between waypoints is 39.56 LY.
Ships may repair and refuel at any waypoint with those facilities (be aware that some may not have them).
Ship-to-ship repairing and refueling is permitted.
Submissions should be made within five days of making a run. (May be subject to change, with experience).
Use of the wing beacon to skip supercruise journeys or part thereof is not permitted.

Acknowledgements​
Many thanks to AkenBosch for alterations and improvements to the race banner.

Leaderboards
Classic
t6tfoP2.png
Unlimited
6YCL1Ef.png
Classic Ship Type Records
ocW135S.png
Unlimited Ship Type Records
shU6d6Y.png

The latest leaderboards will be maintained in the OP here and updates will be posted in this thread until such time as Edelgard feels able to take this over again.

Until then, get well soon Edelgard but otherwise ... race on!

Leaderboards
(last updated 14/07/3307)

t6tfoP2.png
0JTV8EP.png
ocW135S.png
GGNCAWh.png

Last edited:
Right then, in my first ever attempt at a Colonia Trophy Dash leaderboard update ...

We have a decidely cruel (but excellent) new entry from Cmdr Crotalus in his "Katla" Krait Mk II who forces me to debut my Trophy Dash leaderboard duties by pushing myself down to 6th place on the main Unlimited leaderboard and knock myself off the Unlimited ship type leaderboard entirely.

zVPKpQ7.png

50ImqNM.png

A fantastic run @crotalus, just 8 seconds faster than the previous Krait Mk II entry and a new personal best. Congratulations!

cuoeN6C.gif

Last edited:
Viper makes an appearance to mix it up a bit.
Indeed it does, and what an excellent appearance too.

D0Ez01T.png

1LGzdyo.png

The first and fastest Viper MkIII to enter the challenge (clearing the mailslot at over 770m/s in one shot) and another new personal best, Cmdr Sulu completes the course in 35 minutes and 43 seconds to claim a very respectable mid-table position - coming 13th, just 34 seconds faster than Darplata's DBX and 24 seconds slower than Aken's Orca.

If only it hadn't been absolutely necessary to visit all the stations listed in the race description it could have been even faster too ... eh Mr Sulu? ;)

Last edited:
Er well...I will plead the 5th on that one. But I will add that the extra station has only added 2 minutes to my time, so no grumbles.

Last edited:
Cmdr crotalus is back in his 15th different ship type! (but fear not Sulu, he's not after your Viper record ... yet).

jHtw191.png

OHiXHtR.png

Beating Cmdr Darplata94's previous record by nearly a minute and a half, crotalus takes his "Adamanteus" DBX around the course in 34 minutes and 55 seconds to claim the 7th fastest ship time and the 8th fastest run overall (just 4 seconds slower than his Python run).

We really ought to give Crotalus some kind of Buckyball long service award for the most prolific Buckyball racer in the galaxy!

The most prolific Buckyball racer in the galaxy is back, this time ticking the Imperial Clipper off his Trophy Dash bucket list in a ship called "Syren".

But not just any old Imperial Clipper run, a really quite extraordinary Imperial Clipper run at 33 minutes and 50 seconds which takes 5th place on the Unlimted leaderboard and 5th fastest ship overall.

xcVViqC.png

G8d4g46.png

Awesome stuff crotalus, you are single handedly keeping Buckyball alive at the moment in this transitional period between Horizons and Odyssey - bravo sir! (and apologies for taking so long getting this update done).

Crotalus continues his bid to register one of every type of ship on the Colonia Trophy Dash - this time in the classic Cobra MkIII (named Ashei) and a superb time of 34 minutes and 7 seconds which is our 6th fastest time overall and crotalus' 17th different type of ship!

ggR9TUl.png

c2VWCq2.png

By my calculations that leaves just 12 other small or medium class ships left to try.

Welcome back to the Crotalus Trophy Dash and you join us here for a particularly exciting pair of leaderboard updates.

SbKQLD2.png

GGNCAWh.png

This time Cmdr Crotalus is going after some existing Unlimited ship type records.

First he knocks Cmdr Aveldina's "Atlas" off the top Impierial Courier spot (beating that ship's previous time by nearly 5 minutes), and also taking the number 3 podium slot away from Cmdr Horza-Gobuchul's Imperial Eagle (by just 19 seconds), with a fantastic time of 32 minutes and 34 seconds.

And second, it's the moment Cmdr Sulu was dreading, as Crotalus' "C Enyo" claims the prized top Viper MkIII slot, beating the Colonial Rocket's previous time by just over 2 minutes and taking 6th place overall on the Unlimited leaderboard with a time of 33 minutes and 33 seconds.

Those top Imperial Eagle and Asp Explorer slots are looking fragile now! Meanwhile Shaye would still seem to be sitting pretty at the top there.

This is hardly unexpected tbh. Well done. I will now wait to see what Odyssey does before the possibility of responding. In all fairness he probably knows every single point of that route so that beating him would be nigh on impossible. Still without a goal what do you aim for eh?

This is hardly unexpected tbh. Well done. I will now wait to see what Odyssey does before the possibility of responding. In all fairness he probably knows every single point of that route so that beating him would be nigh on impossible. Still without a goal what do you aim for eh?

The loadout for the Viper was not ideal, the run would also have been around the same time as the Courier, but it had more obscured jumps therefore it should be easy to knock off a minute or more of the time

It is now possible that the current race will not be the same so Crotalus will forever stay in those positions. If so I tip my hat to you. If not then I will at some point be back.

I've finally remembered (and had the opportunity) to do a very long overdue leaderboard update. There's one new entry ... no surprises for guessing who from!

0JTV8EP.png

Basically on the 19th June (in Horizons) crotalus made a run in the Asp Explorer. He held on to the submission for a while (hoping to do a faster one) but for now Ozric's record is safe as crotalus runs the 2nd fastest Asp Explorer in a time of 33 mins and 56 seconds to take 8th place.

Congratulations, and apologies for the delay in getting this updated!

I'm delighted to be able to say that @Edelgard von Rhein is now feeling well enough to take back management of this race!

Greetings CMDRs!
After a break of over five months, during which CMDR Alec Turner took over, I am now well enough to continue administrating this event!
I would like to thank CMDR Alec Turner very much for his time and effort in keeping this event going during what has been a pretty unpleasant time for me. It is very much appreciated o7
I have received the latest leaderboards and will update the thread with them either today or tomorrow.
Interested parties may now, as stated in the OP, send their entries to me.
As the terrain is changing on the landable worlds and outpost location also changing in Odyssey, entries done under Odyssey will be marked as such on the leaderboards.
Fly fast!
o7
CMDR Edelgard von Rhein

It's been an honour managing The Crotalus Trophy Dash during your absence but I'm delighted that you're back in charge again. 😆

o7

Top Bottom