The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: The Colonia Trophy Dash. A Standing Challenge Event in ColoniaThe Colonia Trophy Dash is a time trial race that is intended to be an ongoing standing challenge with all waypoints in the Colonia region. All waypoints accept all three size classes of ship, so all ship types can compete. In a similar manner to the A* Challenge, the race will be split into Classic and Unlimited classes and the fastest times for each ship class will also be recorded.
There are two separate race classes: Classic and Unlimited. In Classic, no Engineering, FSD synthesis or Guardian technology is permitted but Neutron star and White Dwarf jet cone boosts are permitted: this is intended to both allow a level playing field and to encourage new players to race. In Unlimited, Engineering, FSD synthesis and Guardian Technology are all permitted. The use of Supercruise Assist and Docking Computers is not allowed in either category.
Note that it is necessary to have Elite: Dangerous: Horizons to participate.The Buckyball Racing Club's Discord server (https://discord.gg/YwxcsCf) and website (http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk) provide helpful information on entering a race and hints and tips for improving your flying skills.
Race times in Classic class are expected to vary considerably but a vessel with a decent jump range should be able to complete the course in under an hour, depending on chance factors such as planetary alignments. In comparison, Unlimited times are anticipated to be approximately 45 minutes or less but will also vary significantly by ship, loadout and pilot experience, with the very top pilots possibly completing the course in under 25 minutes in racing-optimised ships. Participants may take part in any play mode they wish but Open play is encouraged in order to meet other racers on the course.
Race OutlineThe race begins at the Dove Enigma megaship in the Colonia system and ends at Jaques station, also in Colonia. After leaving the Dove Enigma, the course proceeds through the following locations, in order, before returning to Jaques:
- Colonia Dream, Ratraii. (Coriolis)
- Moore's Charm, Luchtaine. (Asteroid Base)
- Brazilian Dream, Santos Dumont. (Plantery Port)
- Vera Rubin Complex, Garuda. (Planetary Port)
- Pedersen's Legacy, Mobia. (Planetary Port)
- Fort Mug, Eol Procul Centauri. (Planetary Port)
- Mortimer's Charm, Kinesi. (Orbis)
The megaship Dove Engima seen against the background of the Colonia Nebula.
The Coriolis station Colonia Dream seen next to Ratraii A 3 a, with Ratraii A 3 in the background.
The asteroid base Moore's Charm, located adjacent to the rings of Luchtaine A 1.
The planetary port Brazilian Dream, on Santos Dumont 6, currently has the highest surface gravity of any settlement in Colonia.
The planetary port Vera Rubin Complex, on Garuda A 1 b, which is a binary moon with A 1 a seen in shadow in the background, with the gas giant A 1 in the distance.
Pedersen's Legacy on Mobia A 1 a is located in a crater inside one of the largest impact craters on this small, metal-rich moon.
Fort Mug on the planet Hutton Moon, the innermost world in Eol Procul Centauri, is a moderately high gravity environment and is in perpetual night thanks to tidal locking.
Mortimer's Charm in orbit of a rare ringed Earth-like World, Kinesi 5, is the only Orbis station in the race, located adjacent to the planet's rings.
Jaques station seen against the backdrop of the ringed gas giant Colonia 4, has a polar orbit that often provides spectacular views of the gas giant's ring system.
Submitting a Race EntryThe race is an ongoing standing challenge, so entries are welcome at any time. Please declare an intent to race in this thread, in order that other participants can look out for you on the course. It is not required if you prefer not to, however. Race entries are submitted by sending a PM to me on the Frontier Forums with the following information:
- CMDR name
- Race Mode (Classic or Unlimited)
- Ship name
- Ship type
- Race time
- Link to race evidence (video or screenshots, see below)
- Outfitting of the ship showing the Core Internal and Optional Internal modules, with the jump range visible. Alternatively, the modules list in the right hand panel is acceptable. (1 or 2 screenshots)
- The ship on the pad, docked, at the Dove Enigma megaship showing the clock: this will be your start time. (1 screenshot)
- The ship on the pad, docked, at each of the above locations, showing the clock, in order. (7 screenshots)
- The ship on the pad, docked, at Jaques station showing the clock. This will be your finish time. (1 screenshot)
Taking a Rebuy
There are some challenging locations on the course and the possibility of ship destruction awaits at every landing. This will not necessarily invalidate the run. So that deliberate destruction gives no advantage, the following rules apply:
- If you respawn ahead of yourself on the course, e.g. at the location you were attempting to land at or reach next, the run is void.
- Respawning at your previous port of call is allowed.
- Respawning at a Detention Centre is allowed.
Additional NotesThe longest jump between waypoints is 39.56 LY.
Ships may repair and refuel at any waypoint with those facilities (be aware that some may not have them).
Ship-to-ship repairing and refueling is permitted.
Submissions should be made within five days of making a run. (May be subject to change, with experience).
Use of the wing beacon to skip supercruise journeys or part thereof is not permitted.
AcknowledgementsMany thanks to AkenBosch for alterations and improvements to the race banner.
Classic Ship Type Records
Unlimited Ship Type Records