Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Magic 8 Ball Championship

It's update time! The second race ("Aquarian Job") is now over and after a punishing week of driving SRVs and trying to dodge our ships around planetary obstructions, race organiser @Brother Sabathius has diligently sorted through the numerous submissions and posted the final results which you can find in the forum thread over here.

the-buckyball-racing-club-presents-the-aquarian-job-magic-8-ball-championship-race-2

With points now awarded that also means we have our first reshuffle (and slight redesign) of the championship leaderboards.

For the regulation Cobra Mk III ship class ..

mzywj4l.png

And for the unlimited ship class ..

55oz3D2.png

While Sgurr and Shaye battle it out for the number one spot there's a lot of jostling for position just behind them and at this stage in the competition it's still far too early to predict who will be among the final winners.

The other big question - is the #OnePointClub now the #TwoPointClub or, by completing their second race, have some people now inadvertantly become uncool?

The next race (a more dangerous reboot of 3305's "Wiccan Ware Race") is due to take place between the 16th and 24th of April. More details as soon as we have them.

Last edited:
I heard leaving the #OnePointClub was uncool, so I'm going with the #TwoPointClub being uncool 😂
As the originator of the #onepointclub hashtag I think you'll find that I get to decide what's cool 😎

And it's now the #twopointclub... next month it'll be the #threepointclub if I can manage to submit otherwise it will remain the same. I'm giving big main character energy here with absolutely zero right to do so! 🤪

Race #3 ("The Wiccan BeWare Race") is over and, with over 100 submissions, it's been the most popular one yet I think (and let's not even mention the horrific number of ships that were destroyed in the process!) Sulu bravely solidered on despite that and the final results have been posted in the forum thread over here.

the-buckyball-racing-club-presents-the-wiccan-beware-race-magic-8-ball-championship-race-3

I've now run the numbers and the championship standings are as follows.

vYvKQFV.png

hbhSTY4.png

So Sgurr has taken the top spot from Shaye in the Regulation class and Captain-MD has kicked Bruski off the podium in Unlimited.

Oh, and a quick update on a change of rules re: points for the race hosts (designated with an H in the above scoreboards). After much discussion it's been decided that hosts kicking other racers out of the points by posting good times in their own races really doesn't sit well so instead, hosts will be awarded 1 point (but are still encouraged to post their own times at the end as it's interesting to know what sort of pace times they were coming up with).

The next race (psykit's reboot of 3304's "On The Rocks") is due to take place between the 7th and 15th of May.

See you there!

Last edited:
The next race (psykit's reboot of 3304's "On The Rocks") is due to take place between the 7th and 15th of May.

Forum thread for the next race (which starts on Saturday) is now up!

Race #4 ("On The Rocks") is over and, after some pretty fierce competition for the tops spots, @psykit has now thoroughly scrutinised all the submissions and produced the final leaderboards for the race which can be viewed in the race thread over here:

the-buckyball-racing-club-presents-on-the-rocks-7th-15th-may-3307-magic-8-ball-championship-race-4

What that means is that it's now time for an update on the overall championship standings.

7qSmEtt.png

MBFIbK4.png

In Regulation class Shaye Blackwood finds himself back at the top (tied on 37 points with Sgurr) and there's a general widening of the gap as the top 5 start to pull away from the rest of the pack. One notable mention to Captain-MD who's managed to come 4th in every single race so far! Other than that, Elastul Ma'fer has swapped places with Cmdr Epaphus and then, down in mid-table (and mostly due to some commanders either staying in or falling out of the 1-point-club) there's the usual reshuffle (remember tho' that ultimately it's only your best 6 races which will count). We also welcome two newcomers to the regulation leaderboard, Elvis Kremmen and Phantom Of Space!

Meanwhile, Unlimited class sees Shaye retaining his lead while Bruski now climbs into 2nd place thanks to some typically cunning planning and tactics (not to mention excellent piloting). Sgurr (who was unable to get a run in) falls back down into 4th leaving Captain-MD in 3rd. We also see Aken B. and Sulu climbing up into joint 5th while yours truly falls down to 7th place (😱). Again, we then have the usual mid-table shuffle as regulars settle into their groove while those missing out on their attendance points continue to fall. And lastly we welcome (again) Elvis Kremmen to Unlimited racing and also see the first entry in this class from plucky psysibling Kaytianna.

Our next race (number #5 in the championship) is a re-run of 3305's "Se7en Sisters Speedway", hosted by its original creator (one of the founding members of the Buckyball Racing Club and who also maintains the extensive Sagittarius A* leaderboards), Cmdr @Raiko.

P.S. for those that missed it elsewhere, the wonderful @ToCoSo has now produced a song for the Buckyball Racing Club which I've set to some background video for your viewing pleasure.

Source: https://youtu.be/apQdL5KnQ0U

o7 and remember to win it or bin it!

Last edited:
I need to do better in regulation. I am more or less as good as I could hope in unlimited. Those top 4 are my nemesis. Truth is in a field of such talented pilots I am pretty happy. Still would like to kick em in the teeth for at least one race though :p
I am looking forward to the next one, and preliminary testing would suggest my ships will not be the issue. Just me.

Last edited:

The race thread is up now for Seven Sisters Speedway Remixed, the race begins at 00:01 UTC on Friday 17-JUN-3308 (rather than Saturday as per most BRC events), and finishes at 23:59 UTC on Monday 27-JUN-3308 (rather than Sunday like normal).

The extra two days are to try and help out anyone who might miss out due to my illness delaying the race by a week.

Enjoy the Shenanigans - there are lots of them this time (shh, don't tell Kligg). :)

I'm back from my holidays having missed pretty much all the action but from what I've managed to catch up on it looks like race #5 ("the Se7en Sisters Speedway reboot") was another awesome event. Cmdr @Raiko made something of a rod for his own back with all the bonus point shenanigans but the final scores have been calculated and can be found over here:

the-buckyball-racing-club-presents-seven-sisters-speedway-remixed-17th-27th-june-3308-magic-8-ball-championship-race-5

I've now sloshed those numbers around inside the Magic 8-Ball and here's what it's come up with.

NsBmsOG.png

VlKcAGd.png

In Regulation class Shaye is still holding onto 1st place but, although Sgurr has slipped out of the podium, Bruski and in particular Captain-MD are now closing the gap. Elsewhere we also see Elastul Ma'fer, Sulu, Mack Winston, Sir Boundness, Rocky Star and Inga Stevenson climbing higher although that means that almost everyone else with the exception of Shaye, Epaphus, Jspace and Azzie Elbub have now slipped further down.

In Unlimited class Shaye also still holds onto the #1 spot but again, Captain-MD (who takes 2nd place from Bruski) is closing the gap. We also saw improvements from Darplata94, Martin Jameson and Crotalus with everyone else apart from Sgurr, Sulu, myself, Caelum and Jspace falling down a place or two.

I'd also like to welcome long time member of the BRC Cmdr Edelgard Von Rhein back to racing after a long absence during which they went on a beautifully documented and photographed journey around the galaxy which I strongly recommend taking a look at: edels-journey-beautiful-worlds

Race number #6 in the championship (a re-run of 3304's gravity defying "Chicken Run") is currently scheduled to run from the 23rd to the 31st July and will be hosted by @Ozric.

o7

Last edited:
Race number #6 in the championship (a re-run of 3304's gravity defying "Chicken Run") is currently scheduled to run from the 23rd to the 31st July and will be hosted by @Ozric. The observant among you will notice that the 1st weekend of the race overlaps with Lavecon, the UK based Elite Dangerous fan convention. For those of you not able to attend, take heart that you'll have a two day head start on those of us going (myself included) ... probably three if hangovers from past events are anything to go by.
Isn't Lavecon 15th - 17th July, so would be starting the weekend after?

Top Bottom