Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Total Recall (27.08.3302 - 04.09.3302)

14500 ly from the bubble, and (slowly) counting:

cycling5.gif

Honk, jump, honk, jump, honk, jump....honk, jump....honk......jump......honk......jump.....

Am very VERY drunk but my by reckoning it's 1hr 36mins until the starting gates are open. Good luck commnders!

P.S. am thinking of adding a bonus altitude award. So, if you get really high, take a photo of it and include it with your submission. Probly add a better description of this task in the morrow. G'night all and may the breezes of fate waft your SRV like a life leaf on the wind. Soar Buckyballers, Soar.

Last edited:
+1 cookiehole, that gave me a laugh which is just as well because this happened on my first test run.
PBIRui9.jpg

I had to self destruct because I couldn't get my ship to come back

Last edited:
I had to self destruct because I couldn't get my ship to come back

Such are the perils of Total Recall 2. :D
(by the way, at the time of writing that image "does not exist or is no longer available")

IMPORTANT NEWS

I've updated the first post to include a) a comment about regulation Hauler pilots submitting an extra screenshot to prove they were in a regulation Hauler and b) an extra section about the Big Air Challenge.

Have fun out there guys and I'll probably do a scoreboard update tomorrow morning sometime.

Last edited:
As usual the wording re: how to actually find the race (Commanders interested in taking part should check their local community events forum for further details) has been removed (which is kinda irritating) but still ... yay!
Bummer. Has anyone ever managed to get something like "search your local galnet hub" or something in?

It's clear that item 1-f of the waiver applies to Cmdr Bruski
Wait... I thought the drinking was mandatory... it's not? Oh well. *imbibes*

Yup ... you do know you only have to drive 5km away right?
Sounds like a teacher's pet is just trying to get extra credit. :p

Question to @Alec Turner:
1. The screenshot needs to be at 5km, is there a specification about whether racers are allowed to initiate ship recall before 5km?

Advice to others trying the Hauler run:
outing the course is your friend, due to some unscoopables, and also the fact that data for Xibalba doesn't seem to be default, and the hauler loadout doesn't include a scanner. Fortunately the station in system sells exploration data (unlike the starting system), although that means I'm going to continue my supposed first run at a leisurely pace, checking out the course.

Although, it's damn hard to scout bases in the dark. >.< CURSE YOU CARDANO GATEWAY! CURSE YOU! I'll be back!

Question to @Alec Turner:
1. The screenshot needs to be at 5km, is there a specification about whether racers are allowed to initiate ship recall before 5km?

Congratulations, I wondered who would be the first to spot this and no, there doesn't appear to be an explicit rule against doing that does there! ;)

le8KEUh.png

Day one is over and, along with a few more competitors signing up (welcome all), we now have our first validated race submission courtesy of Cmdr <-lightspeed-> flying an Asp Explorer named "High Flyer". With a very respectable time just under an hour and 8 minutes we are now officially up and running. Congratulations, I admire your enthusiasm!

Just a couple a quick bits of administrivia.

Firstly thanks to Bruski for pointing out that there may well be some issues with discovery out on the course. During my initial research after TrakMark first sent me the list of locations I did of course spend quite a bit of time scouting the various systems and forgot that some of them required exploration in order to reveal their planets and settlements. And no, the regulation Hauler does not come fitted with a discovery scanner. To be honest, if people want to add one I don't really care, it's not like it's going to give you an unfair advantage.

Secondly, I've noticed that the Imgur website (which has been updated recently) now has a nasty habit of jumbling up the images in a newly submitted album. If competitors could take the time to rearrange them back into the right order that would be greatly appreciated. As would including your stated time and other details in your submission email (I know many of us are old friends now but don't leave me to do ALL the work guys). :D

Tip of the day: never crowd a landing ship ... they're nervous creatures and can be easily spooked back into orbit.

Last edited:
Upon completing a "Dry-Run" of the course in about 01:15:00, I think this will be one interesting and challenging event.
The hurdles in this event include, but not limited to:
  • Avoiding interdictions, (Getting interdicted in an unarmed Hauler with no shields is just NOT an option)
  • Spending too much time scooping fuel, (Those with OCD, like myself, who NEED their tanks full before jumping to the next system)
  • Overshooting planets, (While browsing forums on the second monitor)
  • Landing a ship without shields on a landing pad, (instead of: "Throwing ship at landing pad")
  • Crashing into Skimmers near bases, (Some of us are flying our SRVs)
  • Base jumping from the side of a crater, (Perhaps planing a best route away from the base while approaching the landing pad)
  • Jumping over a canyon without destroying the SRV, (It helps to scope the terrain surrounding the base during approach)
  • Visibility (Sometimes a base is on the dark side of the planet)
  • Stubborn SRV that just won't fit under the landed Hauler after recalling it (Pro tip: Reverse up and then ram it under the ship from behind)
  • Playing Pinball between rocks on the surface. (If only the TrakMark tyre company started developing RockCrusher brand tyres that would allow CMDRs to plough through rocks)

With that said, I hereby declare intent to participate in this event.

CMDR BACKER #-4112
Taxi B90 (+1 to anyone who recognises that reference)
Regulation Hauler

WAIVER
ASSUMPTION OF RISKS: The TrakMark™ “Participant” understands that operating a SRV at or near the speeds at which it is capable on the Total Recall Raceway (“TRR”) presents inherent and inevitable risks that can never be completely eliminated. Factors beyond the control of TrakMark™ will affect the operational safety of the vehicles, tyres, and the TRR raceway under these conditions. Such factors include, but are not limited to: (a) the skill and experience of the CMDR; (b) the performance by or on behalf of TrakMark™ and/or the TRR of inspections, maintenance procedures, and repairs; (c) surface gravity, lighting, track conditions, terrain obstacles, UA bombing, alien invasions, etc; (d) the presence of other operating SRVs; (e) the presence of other CMDRs, (f) the health, physical and mental condition of the CMDR and the amount of alcohol and/or Onionhead ingested prior to racing and (g) the speed at which a SRV is driven and/or flown.

PARTICIPANT UNDERSTANDS AND ACCEPTS ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH ANY GOODS OR SERVICES OF TrakMark™ INCLUDING THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE, WHETHER DURING DRIVING AND/OR WHILE ON THE TRACK OR PREMISES OF THE TRR AND/OR TrakMark™. Participant further understands that a CMDR may lose control while operating the surface recon vehicle and he assumes and accepts all risks associated with this or any other risk.

RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE: Participant and his heirs, affiliates and representatives, past, present and future successors, assigns, members, partners, servants, agents, employees, spouses, partners, attorneys, insurers, executors, administrators, associates and any other related persons, corporations, firms or entities, whether known or unknown, hereby release and covenant not to sue TrakMark™ or its affiliated entities, its respective divisions, subsidiaries, affiliated and related companies, past, present and future predecessors, successors, assigns, officers, directors, shareholders, principal’s members, partners, servants, agents, employees, suppliers, representatives, attorneys, insurers, heirs, assigns, executors, administrators, representatives, associates, and any other related persons, corporations, firms or entities whether known or unknown, for any and all damages, liabilities, causes of action, judgments and any and all claims arising under, arising out of, or related to Participant’s use and operation of the vehicle or participation in the driving experience, including but not limited to, claims or actions for personal injury, loss of consortium, death and property damage, whether now existing or arising in the future.

INDEMNITY. Participant further hereby agrees to indemnify and hold TrakMark™ , or its affiliated entities, its respective divisions, subsidiaries, affiliated and related companies, past, present and future predecessors, successors, assigns, officers, directors, shareholders, principals members, partners, servants, agents, employees, suppliers, representatives, attorneys, insurers, heirs, assigns, executors, administrators, representatives, associates, and any other related persons, corporations, firms or entities whether known or unknown, as well as any joint tort-feasors, and their respective divisions, subsidiaries, affiliated and related companies past, present, and future predecessors, successors, assigns, officers, directors, shareholders, principals, members, partners, servants, agents, employees, suppliers, representatives, attorneys, insurers, heirs, assigns, executors, administrators, representatives, associates, and any other related persons, corporations, firms or entities, whether known or unknown, harmless from any and all damages, liabilities, causes of action, judgments and any and all claims arising under, arising out of, or related to participant’s use and operation of the vehicle or participating in the driving experience, including but not limited to, claims or actions for personal injury, loss of consortium, death and property damage, whether now existing or arising in the future, as well as from any fees, expenses, or costs of any kind, including reasonable attorney’s fees, incurred in connection with any damages, liabilities, causes of action, judgments and claims brought, claimed or asserted at any time after the execution of this document on account of the participation in the driving experience.

ON THE SPEEDWAY RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY, ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT

Participant shall be required to sign a Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement (“TRR Release and Waiver”) at the Total Recall Raceway prior to participating in any experience. In the event of conflict of terms between the TRR Release and Waiver and the language contained herein, the TRR Release and Waiver shall govern.

(Signed)
CMDR BACKER #-4112
Also, +1 to the author of this hilarity that is known as the "WAIVER"

Good luck to all participants and remember:
"Imperial speed restrictions are in place"

I'm bringing back twenty of those, we can throw a party as soon as I'm back in the bubble...first round is on me!

Scratch that, just lost the entire cargo, together with a good chunk of hull and several subsystems, because of...well, actually because of nothing, I was on my usual honk-jump routine, suddenly the jump stops charging and I get the dreaded "FSD failure"...only then I notice that my hull is at 73%, and most of my subsystems are almost gone or severely damaged...wasn't for having equipped two AFMU's and a good load of materials, I'd be in murky waters now...no heavy overheating, no emergency SC exits...I simply don't get it. :|

At least I'll still have a tome of cartographic data for when I'm back...IF I manage to get back, given the circumstances...

1 and likely only attempt with probably the slowest time,

but was so good bouncing that SRV around, after having not played in ages, I kept forgetting to recall the ship :p

Last edited:
I must say that Unlimited Course is very evil! :D
I've just spent about 2h upgrading the Falcon and no matter how hard I try, I can't shave any jumps off between a "comfortable" and a racing loadout without serious downsides.
This means either stripping it down and potentially loosing more time crashing into planets than the extra jumps take, scanning wakes and killing trade ships until I get enough mats for that one perfect grade 5 FSD roll or just accepting that 50ly range isn't that bad either. :p
I'll do my run as soon as I've scouted the landing locations properly, likely this evening. :)

Intent to race:
CMDR Cookiehole
AspX RSXRS Falcon
Unlimited

Top Bottom