Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Total Recall 3 (14th Dec - 22nd Dec, 3305)

JeG5l1g.png

1576348043899.png
Look for the channel "#total-recall-3"

Description

Total Recall 3 is the third in a series of Total Recall events sponsored by the Buckyball Racing Club, which focuses on SRV sprints away from planetary bases followed by recalling your ship. This multifarious race tests CDMRs' skills of terrain analysis, SRV driving, planetary ship docking, supercruise planet approaches, knowledge of planetary rotations and eclipses, and hyperjump route-finding.

Vac Lift has sponsored this race in a bid to keep Core Dynamics from replacing their much-maligned SRV suspensions with another part supplier, hoping the bouncing of Buckyballers will be to their benefit.

May the most cunning CMDR win!

How to Race

• Start docked at Pond Reach.
  • Drive/fly/fliv your SRV as fast as possible to 7.5 km from the station
  • Recall your ship.
  • Board your ship.
  • Jump to next station.
  • Repeat this sequence 3 times at different stations (listed in "Classes and Courses" below)
  • Return and dock at Pond Reach.
Fly fast.
Fly reckless.
Fly dangerous.

Scoreboards

v8Q4buh.png

k8Cv8Rt.png

Classes and Courses

Unlimited Class
Any ship, any modules, any engineering.
Go nuts, go fast, go insane.
Banned: Docking Computers, Supercruise Assist, FSD Injections/Synthesis.

Unlimited Course Station Options (visit 3 of these):
Tilley Holdings (517 ls), Elysia (275.85 Ly from Pond Reach) visiting this station is worth a 1.5-minute bonus (subtracted from final time)
Gwynn Vision (1,157 ls), Theta Indi (260.66 Ly from Pond Reach)
Anderson Settlement (7 ls), Har Pahary (176.99 Ly from Pond Reach)
Shriver Platform (365 ls), Ovid (189.96 Ly from Pond Reach)
Gray Base (56 ls), Eleumo (260.02 Ly from Pond Reach)
Schmitz Reach (4,760 ls), Magec (190.31 Ly from Pond Reach) visiting this station is worth a 6-minute bonus (subtracted from final time)

Regulation Class
The Classic Cobra returns in the Regulation class, showing off its powerful thrusters and superb base jump range.
No engineering is allowed in the Regulation
Classic Cobra Regulation Coriolis Link
Steps:
2C Power Plant
4D Thrusters
4A Friendship Drive
3D Life Support
2D Power Distributor
3D Sensors
2C Fuel tank (Note it's downsized!)
Sell all internal components
Replace with:
4D Fuel Scoop
3D Shield Generator
2G Planetary Vehicle Hangar
1C Fuel Tank
Sell all weapons

Stations that sell this build near Pond Reach can be found here.
If you are short on funds, consider buying from a Li Yong-Rui base (15% discount, found under "Powers" on the EDDB menus)
If you are shorter on funds, use the Road to Riches with this planner for an hour and you ought to have enough.

Regulation Course Stations
Start: Pond Reach, HIP 23655
Station 1: Diophantus Silo (1,060 ls), Hyades Sector MD-R b5-0
Station 2: Nespoli Prospect (6 ls), Abrocmii
Station 3: Hooke's Progress (29 ls), Liu Beni
End: Pond Reach, HIP 23655

Note: You do not have to run this in order, however, the order presented seems to be reasonably optimized for both full and empty fuel tanks.
The regulation course ought to be simple to run for newer racers, and have enough scooping challenge and SRV bumps to provide place for veterans to show their skill.

Station Details

(images will be updated as organizer's free time permits)

Pond Reach, HIP 23655
Source: https://imgur.com/a/pWXye94

Notes: cliffs on 60% of it, with plateau beneath, owned by the Race Marshalls

Classic Stations
Diophantus Silo (1,060 ls), Hyades Sector MD-R b5-0
Source: https://imgur.com/a/NRXeJpx
A large earthmoving project, this station is perched

Nespoli Prospect (6 ls), Abrocmii
Source: https://imgur.com/a/wvqSlWA

Hooke's Progress (29 ls), Liu Beni
Source: https://i.imgur.com/6ek6jRx.jpg

Unlimited Stations
Tilley Holdings (517 ls), Elysia (275.85 Ly from Pond Reach)
Pics unavailable

Gwynn Vision (1,157 ls), Theta Indi (260.66 Ly from Pond Reach)
Source: https://imgur.com/a/NgHXzXe
Notes: mountainous, steep drop off, base jump

Anderson Settlement (7 ls), Har Pahary (176.99 Ly from Pond Reach)
Source: https://imgur.com/a/LPXREjH
Notes: perched on lip of a big crater

Shriver Platform (365 ls), Ovid (189.96 Ly from Pond Reach)

Notes: nestled in mountain, not that hard though

Gray Base (56 ls), Eleumo (260.02 Ly from Pond Reach)

Notes: on the side of a mountain, with giant circular base, solid

Schmitz Reach (4,760 ls), Magec (190.31 Ly from Pond Reach)

Notes: That extreme "Total Recall" planetary base I was talking about is Schmitz Reach in the Magec system. Actually it's over 4kls from the star so it's really not ideal. Maybe worth a visit but I think I ruled it out twice in the end because getting 5km away from the base is actually kinda hard!

Classic Raikogram
WTHOIYO.png

Unlimited Raikogram
oIayB06.png

Tips and Tricks

New to racing? Please refer to the following instructional video, generously commissioned by Anthony and Enoch Lonnegan, produced by CMDR Furrycat:

Been a racer for awhile, and you're looking for more advanced tips and tricks? Check out the recent video from Lavecon made by CMDR Alec Turner:

Want to improve your SRV skills?

A Sagittarius Eye article about advanced SRV driving/flyving techniques.
https://www.docdroid.net/iA7Q4da/issue-17-january-3305.pdf

Also available in video documentary form.

Furrycat's brilliant side-by-side comparison of various supercruise approaches, essentially dispelling the myth that a "loop of shame" is necessarily a bad thing!

[Thanks to CMDR Alec Turner for the links]

Also, consider joining our discord server (linked at the top) to see discussion and ask for tips!

Proof and Submissions

t’s highly recommended that you use video capture to record your run, and obtain screenshots from the video capture later. Most video cards have software that will enable video capture without excessive performance impact, for example, Plays.tv for AMD, Shadowplay for Nvidia, and Game DVR for Xbox.

Screenshots are the fastest and lowest bandwidth way to submit your run, but if you wish to upload a full video and link to that instead, that would be great!
If you’re feeling kind, please provide timestamps for the start and end screenshot times.

To find SRV distance traveled, access your right panel, select "Codex", select "Commander", select "Stats", select "Exploration", see "SRV Distance Travelled". During the race, it should increase by approximately 30km or 0.03Mm. Do not worry if this is not exact.

For the Regulation Cobra, you'll need 12 screenshots.
1. Docked at Pond Reach on landing pad with station clock showing
2. A screenshot of your SRV distance traveled
3. 7.5km from Pond Reach in the SRV, with the distance to Pond Reach and the system clock visible.
4. Docked at Diophantus Silo on landing pad with the station clock showing
5. 7.5km from Diophantus Silo in the SRV, with the distance to Diophantus Silo and the system clock visible.
6. Docked at Nespoli Prospect on landing pad with the station clock showing
7. 7.5km from Nespoli Prospect in the SRV, with the distance to Nespoli Prospect and the system clock visible.
8. Docked at Hooke's Progress on the landing pad with the station clock showing
9. 7.5km from Hooke's Progress in the SRV, with the distance to Pond Reach and the system clock visible.
10. Docked at Pond Reach on landing pad with station clock showing
11. After race end, a screenshot of modules and loadout. (right panel, modules, a single shot fine, no data link scanner required to be visible)
12. Screenshot of SRV distance traveled

For Open Unlimited, 10 screenshots.

1. Docked at Pond Reach on landing pad with station clock showing
2. A screenshot of your SRV distance traveled
3. 7.5km from Pond Reach in the SRV, with the distance to Pond Reach and the system clock visible.
4. Docked at YourStationChoice#1 on landing pad with the station clock showing
5. 7.5km from YourStationChoice#1 in the SRV, with the distance to YourStationChoice#1 and the system clock visible.
6. Docked at YourStationChoice#2 on landing pad with the station clock showing
7. 7.5km from YourStationChoice#2 in the SRV, with the distance to YourStationChoice#2 and the system clock visible.
8. Docked at YourStationChoice#3 on landing pad with the station clock showing
9. 7.5km from YourStationChoice#3 in the SRV, with the distance to YourStationChoice#3 and the system clock visible.
10. Docked at Pond Reach on landing pad with station clock showing
11. After race end, a screenshot of modules and loadout.
12. Screenshot of SRV distance traveled

You will need to upload screenshots or a video somewhere safe and link it. I recommend imgur or youtube. Submit your run using this form.

If you achieve podium placement (or just like showing off your ship and SRV) please submit a beauty shot of your ship and SRV (they can be separate shots)

Intent

If you wish to register your intent to race, a common format is:
Intent to Race/Drive/Crash/Splat/Crush
CMDR Name
Ship Type (optional)
Race Class (Unlimited/Regulation)
Ship Name
SRV Name

This allows other competitors to look out for you on the course, add you to their friends list, and generally have a fun time. but sure to check out the bar at Pond Reach, the Race Marshalls have recently restocked in anticipation of a great turnout!

Staging Area

Vac Lift has kindly sponsored an open bar outside the ship staging area for racers to congregate at and relax before and between their runs.
Please try not to entirely trash the place, the Race Marshalls would be disappointed.
CMDR Alec Turner - Shaye's Demise and Suck It Blackwood
CMDR Raiko - The Nomad and Bandit-One
CMDR Arcturus Vermillion - Honey Badger and Possum Van
CMDR Fish172 = Crimson Haybaler and Celeste and Bulletproof Bomb
CMDR Beth Johanson - Servant of the Empire and Velocitater
CMDR Codger - To be determined and I Don't Name these
CMDR JCB Digger - My Shiny Metal Asp and Bob

FAQ

How do I participate?
Post your intent here (optional), outfit a ship, run the race, and submit it! Please let us know if you have any questions, we aim to be as friendly and welcoming as possible. :D

Can I start recalling my ship before I reach 7.5 Km from the station?
Yes! This is part of the risk/reward optimization of this race.
Too soon and you have to backtrack a lot to your ship, or it might even leave; too late and you're losing valuable time.

Do I need engineering to be competitive?
No! For racing purists there is a Regulation Classic Cobra Class, which is a Cobra Mk III with unengineered modules, with its own separate scoreboard, leaving everything to skill and cunning, with no spreadsheets necessary (probably).
Fully engineered ships for speed freaks and tuner heads will be racing in the Unlimited Class, which allows all types of engineering (even that creepy Colonia dude) and almost all modules.

I have a console control system, can I race?
Yes! There is a separate column to denote console entries, and if 3 or more entries are made on consoles in either of the categories, a separate podium will be erected.
If you have any difficulties recording or screenshotting on a console, please let us know, and we can probably recommend a solution. The same goes for those controlling their ship via the PC platform, or potatoes. We'll do what we can to make it work for you!

Flying is hard, can I use supercruise assist and a docking computer?
We understand the appeal of just letting your Federal Corvette lazily guide itself into the docking bay, but that's not really in line with the Buckyball spirit. In addition, some computer navigation modules can be used in unintended ways, so all flight assist modules are banned from Buckyball Races.

But what about Jumponium?
In order to preserve materials for Sagittarius A* runs, all FSD injection is likewise disallowed.

Can I run the Regulation Cobra on the Unlimited Course?
Sure! I suspect it will not place very well on the Unlimited scoreboard though, and there will be no special scoreboard for such an endeavor.

Can I run an Unlimited Class ship on the regulation course?
I mean you can, but it will not be a valid race entry, nor will it show up anywhere.

So what do I get if I win?
Bragging rights.

A sense of accomplishment.

To crush your enemies, seen them falling behind you, and hear the lamentations of their crewmates.

You know what you get if you win? You might be so lucky as to achieve a Khan meme. Good luck with that. :p

So no prizes?
There are prizes! Participation prizes! What do I look like, a Boomer? Wait they gave out participation prizes... don't answer that.
Anyone who successfully completes and submits a run will be mailed an official Buckyball Racing club 3"x3" Sticker and Magnet.
You will need to provide a mailing address to receive these physical items. If you do not feel comfortable providing this via the google form, contact me via the forums or discord to arrange another method. Providing an address is entirely optional to submitting a race entry, you do not have to provide it if you do not want to. You can submit a race entry without an address.

Last edited:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(under revision, but I wanted the initial presser to be near the top ;) )

Coming next week, Vac Lift will be sponsoring the third Total Recall event, a combined Ship/SRV race running from December 14-22, 3305 hosted by the Buckyball Racing Club out of Pond Reach in HIP 23655, run by the Race Marshalls.

In coordination with the board meeting called by Core Dynamics CEO Jupiter Rochester, Vac Lift will provide a stunning display of the agility and durability provided by Vac Lift suspensions installed as standard on Core Dynamics Surface Reconnaissance Vehicles. The Buckyball Racing Club is famed for its reckless and irresponsible driving throughout the bubble and beyond. They will provide a strenuous and spectacular test of the integrity of these systems in their bid to race, rally, and recall their ships in a bid for the ever-elusive podium.

Buckyball fans are welcome to stop by and watch the slalom, base-jumping, and fireworks at any time. Tickets are free, unlike racers rebuy.

The Buckyball Racing Club is association of CMDRs who organize Buckyball-style races and challenges throughout the galaxy since 3301 CE. It is the original Elite Dangerous long-distance racing series. The Buckyballers are famed for their inclusivity, insanity, ingenuity, and illegality.

Vac Lift is the exclusive supplier of suspensions and other parts to Vodel, now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Core Dynamics. Vac Lift suspensions have been used in Surface Reconnaissance Vehicles since their original introduction in 3301, and have carried CMDRs millions of kilometers in supreme comfort and safety since then. Vac Lift looks forward to another successful Total Recall race, riding on the strength of

How do I participate?

Watch this thread for further details. If you wish to register your intent to race, a common format is:
Intent to Race/Drive/Crash/Splat/Crush
CMDR Name
Ship Type (optional)
Race Class (Unlimited/Regulation)
Ship Name
SRV Name

Do I need engineering to be competitive?

No! For racing purists there will be a Regulation Classic Cobra Class, which will be a Cobra Mk III with stock modules, with its own separate scoreboard, leaving everything to skill and cunning, with no spreadsheets necessary (probably).
Fully engineered ships for speed freaks and tuner heads will be racing in the Unlimited Class, which allows all types of engineering (even that creepy Colonia dude) and almost all modules.

I have a console control system, can I race?

Yes! There will be a separate column to denote console entries, and if 3 or more entries are made on consoles in either of the categories, a separate podium will be erected.
If you have any difficulties recording or screenshotting on a console, please let us know, and we can probably recommend a solution. The same goes for those controlling their ship via the PC platform, or potatoes. We'll do what we can to make it work for you!

Flying is hard, can I use supercruise assist and a docking computer?
We understand the appeal of just letting your Federal Corvette lazily guide itself into the docking bay, but that's not really in line with the Buckyball spirit. In addition, some computer navigation modules can be used in unintended ways, so all flight assist modules are banned from Buckyball Races.

But what about Jumponium?
In order to preserve materials for Sagittarius A* runs, all FSD injection is likewise disallowed.

Last edited:
Oh I rather suspect that I will be making an appearance..who the hell knows what I will fly..I don`t..but I will be attending. I am sure the Crimson Haybaler (DBX) will put in an appearance as well as maybe Celeste (Courier) but depending on circumstances I have yet to try out my far from stock Bulletproof Bomb (Orca). I have a burning temptation to put my Clipper round as well..its now jumping mid40s and 641 boost, so hardly slack but landing quickly would be.............interesting!!

Last edited:
Intent to Race
CMDR Arcturus Vermillion
Ship Type - Cobra Mk III
Race Class - Regulation
Ship Name - Honey Badger
SRV Name - Possum Van

This is my first race. When we use the regulation Cobra "with stock modules", does that mean we can use any class of modules purchased in the outfitting store as long as they are not engineered? Or does it mean we can only use the default E-rated modules that come with the Cobra when you buy it from the shipyard?

Intent to Race
CMDR Arcturus Vermillion
Ship Type - Cobra Mk III
Race Class - Regulation
Ship Name - Honey Badger
SRV Name - Possum Van

This is my first race. When we use the regulation Cobra "with stock modules", does that mean we can use any class of modules purchased in the outfitting store as long as they are not engineered? Or does it mean we can only use the default E-rated modules that come with the Cobra when you buy it from the shipyard?
I think the race details are still being worked on but a "regulation" class ship will be a specific build, no engineering. I dare say @Bruski will be revising the details soon to include the specific loadout for the regulation ship.

Intent to Race
CMDR Arcturus Vermillion
Ship Type - Cobra Mk III
Race Class - Regulation
Ship Name - Honey Badger
SRV Name - Possum Van

Regulation build added to original post, along with a list of contestants in the staging area! :D

Regulation Cobra Route Finalized and Posted. Please note, the Regulation Cobra has an extra 2t fuel tank, for a combined size of 6t.

Top Bottom