Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Triangle Triathlon 29th Sept to 8th October 3304

The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Triangle Triathlon
uEriySX.png
This is a race intended to challenge participants in the use of Ship-Launched Fighters (SLFs) and Surface Reconnaissance Vehicles (SRV) as well as ships capable of fitting both of these. The race is a Triathlon with three systems to visit where different challenges await:
  • HIP 73293 3, Koolhaas' Folly (Surface Port). START/FINISH
  • LARG AB1, Capital Ship Dock
  • GRIDGE 1, Military Installation
This is a plan view of Koolhaas' Folly, with the road through the ring located at about the 10 o'clock position. The large pad landing bays are just below it in this image and the medium pad landing bays are almost opposite (with the small landing bays in between).
B3hU87T.png
The Capital Ship Dock in orbit of Larg AB 1 is located just outside the Coriolis Station Kagawa Survey but can be targeted independently in supercruise.
LAGNutr.png
The Military Installation in orbit of Gridge 1 has a no-fly zone of 4.5 km. Warnings are issued upon entry but it is possible to fly a fast ship or SLF through the region before fines or bounties are generated.
LSxa6hq.png
Participants must have Elite: Dangerous: Horizons to participate. The Buckyball Racing Club's Discord server (https://discord.gg/8gg2S5z) and website (http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk) provide helpful information on entering a race and hints and tips for improving your flying skills.
Race Outline
The race starts with participants on the edge of the ramp that passes through the wall of the ringed surface city Koolhaas' Folly. The wheels of the SRV should not be touching the ramp. An example of an acceptable starting position is shown here:
tyThJxN.png
The first leg of the triathlon is to race from this position to the centre of the crater adjacent to the city. The target co-ordinates are:
latitude: 30.6568 degrees
longitude: 24.8607 degrees
There is no particular marker for these co-ordinates, which are 20.0 km away from the city, so arriving within 0.0020 degrees of both the target latitude and longitude is acceptable. There is also a slim chance of a temporary POI appearing at the target location, so exact positioning is not needed but these co-ordinates are compatible with a landing location for the Keelback so getting close to them may be helpful. Koolhaas' Folly is located on the dark side of a tidally-locked planet so the course is in perpetual night. The surface gravity of HIP 73293 3 is 1.12g. To assist participants in finding their way, this is part an old screenshot showing the city and the nearby crater from a time when the surface would be artificially brightened:
p4kqmrv.png
As the image shows, the heading required to reach the target co-ordinates from Koolhaas' Folly is approximately 165. Once arrived at the target location, it is necessary to recall the mother ship to then fly to either Gridge or Larg.
The course can be run in either direction: HIP 73293, Gridge and Larg are all approximately 100 LY away from each other. In the regulation Keelback loadout, this will be from four to six jumps for each leg depending on your filtering options and direction of travel. Neutron star and white dwarf boosting are allowed in all classes, although I have not seen any close enough to the route for them to be useful. If racing as a multicrew team (see below), then the Ship-launched fighter (SLF) pilot should join the ship after departing HIP 73293, as they will be required to fly all the SLF sections.
At Larg, the objective is to fly a SLF through the ring of either of the two Majestic class Interdictors berthed at the Capital Ship Dock adjacent to Kagawa Survey, in orbit of the planet AB 1 (see image below). The Capital Ship Dock is located just within the no-fire zone of the station but appears as a separate location on the navigation panel in supercruise. It does not have an exclusion zone so you will not incur fines from flying close to the ships berthed there. After flying through the ring, return to the mother ship and dock the SLF. If you destroy the SLF during this, or any other, leg then you will have to repeat the leg. This will mean a short wait whilst the Fighter Hangar 'prints' a new fighter.
3Uk6279.png
At Gridge 1, the objective is to fly a SLF into any of the tunnels of the Military Installation and then return to the mother ship. There is a no-fly zone within 4.5 km around the installation and it is crawling with turrets, so to survive it is necessary to be quick! In the screenshot above, it can be seen that there is a narrow passage through one of the structures which may be easier to use but any tunnel, even one with a dead end, will do - just be sure you can get out again quickly! There is no guarantee the mother ship will not be targeted by the turrets if a bounty is incurred. (An Interstellar Factor is available at Dyson Orbital in the Mandubii system, if required).
r2Aj5BC.png
Upon returning to Koolhaas' Folly, the final challenge is to fly the SLF through the tunnel through the wall around the city, then return to the mothership and dock the mothership at Koolhaas' Folly. Unlike some ringed cities, there is only the one tunnel here but it is large enough to accommodate any current SLF, including the new Guardians fighters. Note that it is necessary to be outside the city's no-fire zone (about 8.8 km) to deploy the fighter. This is the toughest of the SLF challenges as the road through the perimeter wall is not straight but arches and the surface gravity of 1.12 g makes traversing this passage cleanly at speed very difficult (there's a reason why I took the screenshot below at a speed of just 51 m/s!). Expect to blow up a few fighters here! The race ends when the mothership docks at Koolhaas' Folly.
503u0cT.png
Race Modes
Triangle Triathlon has three modes: Regulation Keelback, Single Unlimited, and Multicrewed. Depending on participation, Multicrewed may be split into Multicrewed Regulation Keelback and Multicrewed Unlimited.
Regulation Keelback requires the following loadout, with any model of Taipan SLF (not all are the same but choose whichever you prefer):
https://s.orbis.zone/dgv
The Keelback and most of the modules can be obtained from Arai Orbital, Nungk, with the remaining modules (Power Plant, Fuel Scoop and Sensors) available at Check Port, Chere. Where outfitting is available, it is usually possible to buy Taipan and GU-97 SLFs in this region even if Fighter Hangars are not sold. Arai Orbital stocks all three types of human fighter (the nearest Guardians Tech Broker that I know of is at Smoot Orbital, Chona). This loadout is expensive for a regulation loadout, at over 5.7 million credits, so participants might wish to obtain the ship and modules elsewhere: with the Li Yong-Rui 15% discount the total price is just under 5 million credits.
Single Unlimited allows any SLF-capable ship with any Engineering modifications but it is prohibited to use Guardians Frame Shift Boosters or FSD boost synthesis. Any model of SLF can be used, including the AX Taipan and the Guardians fighters, but the Fighter Hangar must be a class 5: this ensures that there is a fixed time penalty for blowing up a SLF and that the same SLF is used throughout a run.
Multicrewed efforts follow the above rules but with a human SLF pilot flying all the sections that require the SLF. Note that it is necessary to wait until the SRV section has been completed before the SLF pilot can join the ship via multicrew. Each team of mothership + SLF pilot will only get one entry on the leaderboard, so if the two players swap roles on subsequent attempts, only the best time will appear on the leaderboard. It is therefore possible for a single Commander to appear multiple times on the leaderboard by flying SLFs for other competitors or hosting different SLF pilots. Pilots invite other Commanders aboard their ship at their own risk! There is a chance of committing crimes during the race...
It is suggested that all entrants compete in Open so that they might meet other racers taking part but it is not a requirement. Multicrewed efforts naturally require that both team members are either in Open or the same Private Group. It is possible to join a ship as a SLF pilot from anywhere in the Milky Way, so this also provides an opportunity for some racing action for pilots away on distant expeditions, or who dislike driving a SRV in high gravity in the dark! Entries are accepted from all platforms on which Elite: Dangerous: Horizons is available and which are capable of providing the required screenshots or video as race evidence.
Submitting a Race Entry
The race begins on Saturday 29th September 3304 and ends at midnight on Monday October 8th 3304: entries must start between 00:00:00 September 29th 3304 and 23:59:59 October 8th 3304.
Please declare an intent to race in this thread, in order that other participants can look out for you on the course. It may also help you to attract a pilot for your SLF or find someone willing for you to fly their SLF. It is not required if you prefer not to, however. If you want to fly a SLF but not a mothership, feel free to request this in the thread! Race entries are submitted by sending a PM to me on the Frontier Forums with the following information:
  • CMDR name
  • SLF pilot CMDR name (Multicrewed attempts only)
  • Race Mode (Regulation Keelback, Single Unlimited, Multicrewed Regulation Keelback or Multicrewed Unlimited)
  • Ship name
  • Ship and SLF type
  • Race time
  • Link to race evidence (video or screenshots, see below)
Race Evidence: the following information must be provided by screenshots (taken with the F10 key in-game on PC, console versions have alternative bindings) or be visible on a video. Screenshots can no longer be hosted on the forum and must be uploaded elsewhere (e.g. Imgur or equivalent) and a link provided. Video entries should be uploaded to a suitable video-hosting service (e.g. YouTube or equivalent) and the link provided.
  • Outfitting of the ship showing the Optional Internal modules, with the jump range and Fighter Hangar / SLF type visible. For the Regulation Keelback (Multicrewed or otherwise) the Core Internals must also be shown. (2 screenshots for Regulation Keelback modes, 1 otherwise)
  • The SRV on the start line at Koolhaas' Folly (see above screenshot for positioning) showing the clock: this will be your start time. (1 screenshot)
  • The SRV within 0.0020 degrees (both latitude and longitude) of latitude: 30.6568 degrees / longitude: 24.8607 degrees. (1 screenshot)
  • The SLF passing through the ring of either of the Majestic class Interdictors berthed at the Capital Ship Dock at Larg AB 1 and docking with the mothership afterwards. (2 screenshots)
  • The SLF passing through or inside a tunnel at the Military Installation orbiting Gridge 1 and docking with the mothership afterwards. (2 screenshots)
  • The SLF passing through the tunnel through the perimeter wall of Koolhaas' Folly and docking with the mothership afterwards. (2 screenshots)
  • The mothership on the pad at Koolhaas' Folly showing the in-game clock. This will be your finish time. (1 screenshot)
This requires a total of 10 screenshots, or 11 for the Regulation Keelback modes, if video is not used. For Multicrewed entries, a mixture of video and screenshots is acceptable or both CMDRs can use video, or both can use screenshots. It does not matter whether the mothership or SLF pilot submits the entry so long as the information is provided; you can co-ordinate with your teammate who gathers and submits the race evidence. For examples of suitable screenshots when submitting race evidence, see also the Buckyball Racing Club's website.
Additional Notes
It is permitted to use synthesis to repair and refuel the SRV.
You can fly through the tunnels/rings in any direction.
It is not necessary to have an assigned fighter pilot for you to order your mothership to hold position whilst in the SLF.
You cannot deploy the SLF within the no-fire zone of a station or outpost, however this restriction does not apply for docking the SLF.
Pip settings for the SLF are not preserved between launches.
If you are shot down by the authorities with a bounty or a fine outstanding, then the detention centre you will probably respawn at is The Sepulchre in Col 285 Sector YU-F c11-1. This is 68.94 LY away from HIP 73293.
There is an Interstellar Factor at Dyson Orbital, Mandubii, should you need their services.
There is a Guardians Tech Broker at Smoot Orbital, Chona, where all current models of SLF are available.
There is a raw Materials Trader at Matthaus Olbers Station in HIP 73293, should you want extra materials for SRV repair/refuel without wanting to spend time farming them.
Have fun!

Leaderboards

Regulation Keelback
EJyry8x.png
Single Unlimited
sL7im4v.png
Multicrewed Regulation Keelback
Multicrewed Unlimited

Last edited:
Sign me up!

Single Unlimited in a Krait at the very least but I'm planning on spending the entire week on this race so will probably take a shot at Regulation Keelback too.

Quick question (I've only skimmed the OP so apologies if already answered) - can we use Guardian FSD boosters in Unlimited class?

Sign me up!

Single Unlimited in a Krait at the very least but I'm planning on spending the entire week on this race so will probably take a shot at Regulation Keelback too.

Quick question (I've only skimmed the OP so apologies if already answered) - can we use Guardian FSD boosters in Unlimited class?
Sorry, no FSD boosters. I do think there will be a time when they become allowed in Unlimited BRC events, just like engineering, but at the moment they are a very recent addition to the game and I do not think many people currently have (or want) to get much in the way of Guardians technology. If I'm wrong about this and everyone interested in racing has them unlocked, then I'd be happy to change this rule, especially as SLF-capable ships would all be able to utilise a class 5 slot for the same range bonus.

For the record: interested in BRC, and I've unlocked the Guardian boosters (for both shields and FSD) and use the FSD boosters on some of my ships.

The race - I'll likely give it a try, starting with the SRV part. But my SRV tolerance in VR is pretty low, so if that gets too bad, I'll have to skip this one. Racing in the dark probably isn't going to improve that, but I'll see.

I've not raced for a while, but I've been looking for an excuse to try out the Krait ;)

Will definitely be along for the race :)

I have the Guardian FSD booster but I'm not bothered whether I race with or without it.

Just finished a test run ... oh boy, this one feels like a seriously fun but brutally challenging race.

One more thing to add to the FAQ I think for the final Koolhaas Folly SLF section - I was unable to deploy the SLF below 7.5km!

Last edited:
Just finished a test run ... oh boy, this one feels like a seriously fun but brutally challenging race.

One more thing to add to the FAQ I think for the final Koolhaas Folly SLF section - I was unable to deploy the SLF below 7.5km!

You can't deploy an SLF in no fire zones can you? Is that it?

I bought and fitted out a Krait last night. Will start having a play tonight.

You can't deploy an SLF in no fire zones can you? Is that it?
Yeah OK, I guess that's it ... be warned tho, if you make a standard glide approach which drops you out of glide just above the station you can then lose a lot of time trying to get far enough away again (especially fighting the gravity) to be able to deploy the fighter.

Finding the right crater location in the SRV is a real challenge too (in a good way) and I'll warn you now, the scatter rocks are brutal (yes, I lost my first SRV!)

I bought and fitted out a Krait last night. Will start having a play tonight.
Yup, I'm happy with the Krait but I'm gonna start Race tuning it a bit now to cut the jumps down. This one's gonna be fun!

Had a little recon tonight:

On dropping into the capital ships I was dropped almost into the side of the station :eek:

At the military installation I lost the SLF and the Krait lol. So keep your distance ;)

Edit: And I did have a question about the eligibility of this sort of thing https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-O-N-Orbital-and-surface-navigation-Waypoints

I.e. an "app" that helps with planetary coordinate navigation.

I haven't tried it and don't even know if it works with the SRV... but I thought it would be very helpful with the tight coordinates and lack of identifying features in the area.

Last edited:
Had a little recon tonight:

On dropping into the capital ships I was dropped almost into the side of the station :eek:

At the military installation I lost the SLF and the Krait lol. So keep your distance ;)

Edit: And I did have a question about the eligibility of this sort of thing https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-O-N-Orbital-and-surface-navigation-Waypoints

I.e. an "app" that helps with planetary coordinate navigation.

I haven't tried it and don't even know if it works with the SRV... but I thought it would be very helpful with the tight coordinates and lack of identifying features in the area.
I don't think there's any way I could tell if you've used the app to find the co-ordinates or not. Although it does circumvent some of the challenge, given the lack of distinguishing features at the destination co-ordinates, I'll allow it.

I don't think there's any way I could tell if you've used the app to find the co-ordinates or not. Although it does circumvent some of the challenge, given the lack of distinguishing features at the destination co-ordinates, I'll allow it.

I will probably try with and without. I have a fairly good strategy for getting there easily without it. The terrain coupled with 1g are probably more challenging than finding the coordinates. You can mark my cheaty runs with a * or something ;)

System: Redacted
Planet: Redacted
Location: University of Emerald Xeno-Archaeology Department's dig

Shannon Galanis, undergraduate at UEXAD, carefully used a brush to uncover one of the precious Guardian artifacts, buried by millions of years of dust. Her Professor, Friðrika Vilhjálmsson, glared at nearby SRV tracks, left by some unknown member of the Pilots' Federation who had torn through this site before they'd arrived here.

"Damn that Ram Tah!" the older woman grumbled over her Remloc's radio. "He may be a brilliant engineer, but he has no concept about proper archaeology. You don't unleash a bunch of barely educated pilots upon valuable ruins like these, shooting up the place and looting everything that isn't buried or bolted down!"

"He's still better at this job than Palin. At least we don't need to search for these sites visually anymore." Sharron moved aside so her professor could perform another series of scans. "Not to mention that we need to learn more about this tech if the Thargoids continue to harrass us."

"True. Still doesn't make it right."

Both women paused when Commander Stevenson's voice came over their radios. "Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, but I've decided to cut this trip short and head home. Anyone who doesn't fancy a thousand light year walk back to civilized space return to Elegance of Duty. I lift off in ten minutes, with or without you."

Friðrika stared at the gleaming white Imperial Clipper in the distance. "Dammit, I was hoping for more time at this site. Sharron, let's finish excavating that artifact, and return to the ship."

"Professor, it'll take more than ten minutes to excavate this properly."

"Don't worry Shannon, I'm sure she won't leave without us."

*ten minutes later*

Friðrika and Shannon looked at each other in horror when the simulated sounds of an Imperial Clipper lifting off reached their ears. Shannon's brush fell slowly in the low gravity behind them as the women started bounding across the airless moon, waving their arms as their ride home pitched up, its powerful thrusters glowing white. Seconds later, Elegance of Duty disappeared in a puff of exotic matter as it entered Witchspace.

Shannon looked at the environmental readout on her Remloc's HUD. It read, "Oxygen: 01:32:09 remaining."

"She's coming back for us, right?"

"Commander Stevenson, you are going back for them, right?" Graduate student Tichanoa May over the intercom in the Elegance's passenger cabin, his gaze moving from at the three undergraduates seated in the cabin's lounge, to the two empty chairs.

"I'm tempted to leave them there."

"But..."

"But I'll go back for them. I'm just giving them the opportunity to reflect on their choices in life. I also need to send a message first."

Gyeong Castro closed the message from her Patron, then walked to the window overlooking the Keelback sitting in one of the hangers on MacKenzie Relay. One of her crews were busy going over the ship's systems, in preparation for the upcoming race. A second team was going over the unmodified modules they'd be bringing with them.

"Way ahead of you, Inga. Way ahead of you."

Top Bottom