Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Triangle Triathlon 29th Sept to 8th October 3304

As the opening weekend of the race comes to a close, both the Single Unlimited and Regulation Keelback categories have two entrants but there have been multiple entries by both Commanders in Single Unlimited, who are very evenly matched. Alec Turner in Paronomasia, his Krait MkII, accompanied by a F63 Condor, has improved his time to 32:02, only six seconds ahead of Darplata94! Darplata94 and his Anaconda Space Between Stars had initially submitted an entry of 35:39 which had included a close call with the turrets in his Taipan at the Gridge 1 Military Installation, leaving him with 27% hull on the mother ship, but later submitted an improved time of 32:08 that was much smoother and free of trespass violations.
Remarkably, the leading time in the Regulation Keelback category is now exactly the same as in the Single Unlimited, with CMDR Brabston, Timmy managing to complete the course in 32:02 thanks to some superb SRV driving. His Scarab SRV is named Big Gulp and with his Keelback called Medium Sodie he has certainly earned a good drink after that time, although the Chateau de Aegaeon should probably wait, with many pilots still in the staging area or showing an interest. Although not yet on the scoreboard, CMDR Brother Sabathius broadcast a practice session showing some impressive high-speed flying through the tunnel at Koolhaas' Folly, although anyone working in the offices next to the advertising hoardings probably got a bit of a shock!
Fly fast and have fun! o7

As the opening weekend of the race comes to a close, both the Single Unlimited and Regulation Keelback categories have two entrants but there have been multiple entries by both Commanders in Single Unlimited, who are very evenly matched. Alec Turner in Paronomasia, his Krait MkII, accompanied by a F63 Condor, has improved his time to 32:02, only six seconds ahead of Darplata94! Darplata94 and his Anaconda Space Between Stars had initially submitted an entry of 35:39 which had included a close call with the turrets in his Taipan at the Gridge 1 Military Installation, leaving him with 27% hull on the mother ship, but later submitted an improved time of 32:08 that was much smoother and free of trespass violations.
Remarkably, the leading time in the Regulation Keelback category is now exactly the same as in the Single Unlimited, with CMDR Brabston, Timmy managing to complete the course in 32:02 thanks to some superb SRV driving. His Scarab SRV is named Big Gulp and with his Keelback called Medium Sodie he has certainly earned a good drink after that time, although the Chateau de Aegaeon should probably wait, with many pilots still in the staging area or showing an interest. Although not yet on the scoreboard, CMDR Brother Sabathius broadcast a practice session showing some impressive high-speed flying through the tunnel at Koolhaas' Folly, although anyone working in the offices next to the advertising hoardings probably got a bit of a shock!
Fly fast and have fun! o7

Wow, I don't know what the jump range difference is between the regulation Keelback and my unlimited Krait but I reckon Timmy must have been absolutely hurtling down that crater to get a time like that. Respect! (mind you, I'd expect nothing less from Mr Brabston). So, six seconds between 1st and 2nd place in Single Unlimited huh? Sheesh, this thing got competitive real fast! Well alrighty then ... game on!

[yesnod]

Either my driving skills are very, very rusty after some months of hiatus, or those first 20 km on wheels are a punishing exercise in self control and swearing avoidance. Either way, so much fun to be had! :D

It's been a while since my last attempt at a race, definitely missed it. Also had the pleasure of watching the excellent Cmdr Turner threading needles at Gridge and Koolhaas, it's even crazier when watched from the outside.
Run submitted! (dang, missed the update by a few minutes)

Also had the pleasure of watching the excellent Cmdr Turner threading needles at Gridge and Koolhaas, it's even crazier when watched from the outside.

Thought it felt like I was being watched! :p

Meanwhile ...

6rgQ5P5.png

"Damn it Chewie, I thought I told you to hold position, not park right next to the military installation!"

Escaped with 70% hull remaining, new run submitted!

P.S. thanks for including the location of an Interstellar Factor, needed that today.

Thought it felt like I was being watched! :p

Meanwhile ...

"Damn it Chewie, I thought I told you to hold position, not park right next to the military installation!"

Escaped with 70% hull remaining, new run submitted!

P.S. thanks for including the location of an Interstellar Factor, needed that today.

I almost felt your pain. "Almost". :D

[video=youtube_share;tPnrMfH3msc]https://youtu.be/tPnrMfH3msc[/video]

Doubt I'll ever be able again to dock an SLF so fast, the power of fear. [haha]

I haven't raced in ED, but I'm tempted to have a go at this

I have a question ...
I know the Taipan AX-1 isn't allowed, but what about the Aegis F?
{edit}
Pitch, boost and max speeds are all better than the other Taipans.
{/edit}

I have a question ...
{edit}
{/edit}
Hey Edradour! Welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club. I hope the Aegis F is OK 'cos that's what I'm using ... oh wait, you're looking at the regulation Keelback class? Yeah OK, good question ... over to Edelgard to answer that one.
Fly Fast!

I have a question ...
{edit}
{/edit}
Welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club!
I wasn't aware of any differences in speed and manoeuvreability between models of Taipan other than the AX variant and some racers have already been using Aegis models, so I'll allow them. I'll double check the differences next time I can be online. If the Aegis F is a match for the AX variant then I'll allow the AX variant in Regulation Keelback as well. I think the AX has about 20 m/s advantage on boost and +2 degrees pitch advantage in manoeuvreability on the other Taipans so it's a few seconds bonus only (I think it might be because the AX doesn't have a utility mount).

With the first weekend of the race over, the action is not slowing down at all and there have been several more submissions. Just missing yesterday's update was CMDR Aken B. who entered Single Unlimited in his Keelback Albion Skunk and Taipan fighter and briefly placed top of the leaderboard with a time of 31:05. This Keelback is a workhorse of Aken B.'s fleet and performed consistently with a very fast leg from HIP 73293 to Larg, suggesting a favourable exit from supercruise near the Capital Ship Dock. A third entry from CMDR Alec Turner returned his Krait MkII Paronomasia and F63 Condor to the top of the leaderboard with a time of 30:49, despite incurring the displeasure of the authorities at Gridge. Times in the SRV section are improving all round and whilst this enabled CMDR Alec Turner to regain his place on the leaderboard, an improved run by CMDR Feyd Rautah in the Regulation Keelback class has enabled him to close the gap a little on CMDR Brabston, Timmy with a new time of 39:14. There has also been an entry in the Regulation Keelback class from CMDR Athena Jones, with a time of 49:03 in the Keelback Marathon, however the evidence ran into problems uploading and it will probably not be until tomorrow that the run is added to the leaderboard.
Keep flying and driving fast! o7

lZ85xLD.png

AoXSBv7.png

Hi Alec, yes, I should have said - the (race) standard Keelback.

Hello Edelgard von Rhein, thank-you

Taipan comparisons from buying screens

Taipan
Most
Aegis F
AX1 F
Armour Health
45​
45​
45​
Shield Health
30​
30​
30​
Max Speed
263​
273​
279​
Boost Speed
544​
564​
577​
Pitch Rate
40​
41​
42​
DPS
*​
44​
55​

{edit, next day}* DPS varies between types, so should not have a number in my table. I did show '36' in there yesterday.
This has (should have?) no impact for racing purposes.{/edit}

Last edited:
Hi Alec, yes, I should have said - the (race) standard Keelback.

Hello Edelgard von Rhein, thank-you

Taipan comparisons from buying screens

Taipan

Most

Aegis F

AX1 F
Armour Health

45​

45​

45​
Shield Health

30​

30​

30​
Max Speed

263​

273​

279​
Boost Speed

544​

564​

577​
Pitch Rate

40​

41​

42​
DPS

36​

44​

55​
Thanks for looking up the info. So the Aegis F is not quite as good as the AX but still very close. OK, I'll allow the AX variant then. I don't think it is any harder to come by than the others. It's not a big deal if it ends up being the only one used (whether you can handle that extra speed going through the tunnels etc. is another matter!). I'll update the OP to reflect the change.

My SRV is broken! I was having a great run and all of a sudden my top speed wouldn't go over 22 m/s. Checked my pips, 4 in ENG. My throttle indicator is going all the way to the top. Checked the exterior for flat tire (aka tire stuck inside the ground). Everything is normal but I'm going so slow! Relogged, switched modes, self destructed, restarted game, sold SRV bay and bought a new one, flew to a different planet, and still no luck. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

My SRV is broken! I was having a great run and all of a sudden my top speed wouldn't go over 22 m/s. Checked my pips, 4 in ENG. My throttle indicator is going all the way to the top. Checked the exterior for flat tire (aka tire stuck inside the ground). Everything is normal but I'm going so slow! Relogged, switched modes, self destructed, restarted game, sold SRV bay and bought a new one, flew to a different planet, and still no luck. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

HH8EEN2.png

"Good work Mutley ... now go and pour diesel into the Albion Skunk's tank!"

7min ... can I do that???

I don't have a hell lot of time to fly this week. But some training videos are very inspiring regarding the SRV driving. So if I even don't imagine to improve my time by ~7min... perhaps I can come somewhat closer ... ... if I don't crash my SRV :cool:

I've never done a Buckyball race before, but I'd like to give this one a try in the Regulation Keelback.

Excellent! Feel free to ask any questions (quite happy to share hints and tips) and otherwise, good luck!

P.S. new run submitted .... you hear that shattering sound? That's a barrier being shattered that is! :D

Had a trial run this morning. You guys weren't kidding when you said that the rally stage was rough.

At least I got to wave at Alec while he was blasting past me.

Had a trial run this morning. You guys weren't kidding when you said that the rally stage was rough.

At least I got to wave at Alec while he was blasting past me.
I waited for you at the start line for a while but had to go in the end if I was to squeeze one more run in before work. Incidentally, I don't know if it will happen but I mentioned the race in FD's lunchtime livestream yesterday and Ed was considering having a go on Thursday night's stream. I warned him about the rally stage!

Top Bottom