The Canonn - Interstellar Scientific Research

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Varati

varati1.png
224 ly From Polaris, 213 ly From Sol. Almost exactly between.

Summary

Bounty Hunting - Several Hi/low RES with medium security, plus a local anarchy faction

Trade - station sells imperial slaves, plus outpost with a black market, with 3 Metal Rich mining locations

Exploration - on the edge of populated space plus sells and outfits exploration Asp/Anacondas as well as exploration Hauler/T6

OMG THARGOIDS
Closest Human System to Polaris
Polaris is known in past elite games to be related to thargoids
Polaris is one of the only systems that will have its name visible no matter how far you zoom out of the gal map
Only Achenar & Sol share this trait, not even Alioth does
I believe this will be a future location for Thargoid Related content and it may be a good idea to be neighbors!

If Polaris becomes the home of Thargoid related stuff Varati would become the last bastion of human settlements on your way to Polaris.

Notice that it's very far from any PP activity
Literally on the edge of human space
Would be awesome if we could change the name of the station to "The Observatory"

System Features:
varati.png
Scoopable F star
1 earthlike
3 water worlds
Several airless moons
3 Metal Rich sources

Population: 9 million
Several nearby High-Tech systems
No Fed/Imp factions
1 anarchy faction

Thompson Dock - Coriolis
thompsondock.png
Shipyard: Sidewinder, Eagle, Viper, Hauler, Asp, Anaconda, T6, T7, T9
Commodities Market: Imp Slaves
Outfitting: Decent, all module types covered as well as good weapon stock
Traffic Report: Only 1 eagle in the past 24 hours
Buliten Board:
-7 donation missions! wow! easy rep :D
-Outer rim adventure missions
-Wheel of time missions

Bond Hub - Civilian Outpost
bondhub.png
BLACK MARKET
Outfitting similar to Thompson Dock (however there are no sensors here)
More Charity missions
Ammo
No Repair
Minerals in the Commodity market

Forsskal Hub - Unsanctioned Civilian Outpost yarr
forsskalhub.png
Minerals, more charity missions, no ammo/repair/refuel over all pretty useless

Last edited:
Needs to have a population.

Or a Ocellus with a Gen 2 Jump Drive

latest
It was first built by the Imperial Gutamaya shipyards in 3260 so it is a relatively recent design, but they are now built and operated throughout human space. Both the Federation and Empire operate them, as do a few of the big corporates – particularly for tourism – where an Ocellus will be stationed at a rare stellar spectacle for a few months, then will move on.

Sounds like what the Canonn should have as a mobile base

Last edited:

It was first built by the Imperial Gutamaya shipyards in 3260 so it is a relatively recent design, but they are now built and operated throughout human space. Both the Federation and Empire operate them, as do a few of the big corporates – particularly for tourism – where an Ocellus will be stationed at a rare stellar spectacle for a few months, then will move on.

It would be pretty unique. I suspect FD wouldn't let us do it though. Might make expansion a bit tricky too.

By the way, is Canonn just misspelled, or have I missed something (maybe it's an abbreviation of some sort?) Otherwise, you probably want to fix that typo before you register. Cannon is a gun, often mistaken for canon on the internet. Canon is a word that comes from a church background, basically referring to a rule or set of rules brought by this organization, that found it's way into general use, mostly referring to popular culture media such as movies, computer games etc. (we talked for hours whether or not the Star Wars books were canon).

Sorry if I'm being nitpicky, just trying to help, even if "canonn" is intentional I'd rethink it as it looks like a mistake.

By the way, is Canonn just misspelled, or have I missed something (maybe it's an abbreviation of some sort?) Otherwise, you probably want to fix that typo before you register. Cannon is a gun, often mistaken for canon on the internet. Canon is a word that comes from a church background, basically referring to a rule or set of rules brought by this organization, that found it's way into general use, mostly referring to popular culture media such as movies, computer games etc. (we talked for hours whether or not the Star Wars books were canon).

Sorry if I'm being nitpicky, just trying to help, even if "canonn" is intentional I'd rethink it as it looks like a mistake.

Take a look at the name of poster of the second post in this thread.

To be honest I cringe just a bit every time I read "cannon" hehe

Just to repost my Home ideas from the UA thread

Home System:
After reading the FD posting about this, we would become controlling faction of the system. This unfortunately probably rules out the Permit systems. FD are not going to hand that over to a new faction, and we would have no stations outside the system, so nobody could gain the permit until we expanded. I would love Peregrina but Not going to happen.

Min/Maxing and going for a "best" system would be : Hi Tech, Large Station close to star, Outpost with Black Market, Metalic Rings, Major Res, Not in PP
For Canonn Flavour : Sci Outpost, MR and other airless worlds, Some association with UA or Thargoids, Near(ish) Pleidaes/Polaris

IMHO, it might be a mistake to focus on the Min/Max criteria. Any really juicy system will have a big footfall. We are never likely to be a force to be reckoned with, and may end up loosing the system, or having to spend our time fighting for control against traders, pirates or other reprobate groups after a Hi Tech of their own.

However, after a reasonable amount of research, I found NGANJI. All of the above criteria except : Rings are only Metal Rich , RES is only Medium, PP LiYoind (probably the best choice of Powers), No association with UA/Thargoids that I know of. That is a pretty darned good match. It has a foot fall of 199 ships in the last 24 hours, I dont know if that is good or bad, but half of those are Conda/T9 (could just be a couple of repeat traders)

I put forward Nganji for your consideration, but would be perfectly happy with Timocani or some other crap-hole that suits the ethos of Canonn.

Screenshot_0080.jpgScreenshot_0085.jpgScreenshot_0084.jpgScreenshot_0083.jpgScreenshot_0082.jpgScreenshot_0077.jpgScreenshot_0087.jpgScreenshot_0081.jpgScreenshot_0086.jpg

BTW Varati looks OK too.

Last edited:

The station in New Yembo is one, still under construction I believe. Maybe FD will let us steal it, they owe us right? :D

The station in New Yembo is one, still under construction I believe. Maybe FD will let us steal it, they owe us right? :D

Something like this?
Stellar Vision Station disappeared
The Stellar Vision Station disappeared under mysterious circumstances sometime last week. The station have been shut down for maintenance for months and docked in independent Bleulembe system. Mainly utilised as a tourist station Stellar Vision have until last year been stationed in Mbtoba system to witness its massive solar flare phenomenon stripping the atmosphere of Mbtoba 1. This extreme event, however, caused several power failures within the station and required a complete overhaul especially on its navigation and sensory systems and lifesupport modules.
Prior to the disappearance security cameras captured two unregistered adders docking at the station, it is speculated that several modified hatchbreaker limpets were used to pry open the blast gates and gain access to the docking bay.
Some sort of static interference then cut all communication and the security cameras went dark. Authorities were alerted the following day by a distress signal coming from an Adder floating in deep space. The entire crew of Stellar Vision was found in slave containers in the cargo-hold, dazed but mostly unharmed.
One of the Stellar Vision technicians stated that tranquilisers had been used to neutralize the crew and he remembered overhearing some of the assailants conversation before he succumbed to its effect:
- “now hold my crowbar and I’ll reach in and hardwire this bloody jumpdrive”
-“well technically it is a frameshift drive ... “
-“ that, I remember back in the 80’s ... ahhh gotit, grab onto something .. here she blows... “
-“did it work??”
-“does it look like it worked??? We’re still here arn’t we??? Just my luck getting the goldmedalist in stupidity with me on this heist, can you reach over here and hold this while I run over and fire up the thrusters?”
-(whispering) “I thought you always needed to have full thrust forward before you jumped ...... “
- “Whatya just say???”
-“nothing boss – nothing at all, hey something happening ... “
-“Yes here she blows...”

In other news:
The Canonn station is unveiled in HR 1185, a gift from an unknown benefactor .........................

Sorry about the typos, Have a Nice weekend

Cheers
DZ

we could always ask FD if we can have Polaris, nothing to lose trying :D
A Permit system would make a cool headquarters how about Terra Mater, it has a station called Gr8minds and a rare commodity :D

Home System Candidate: Kotaition

I apologise for the lack of visual aids - but at least this means none of my nonsense with captions. Also, I have generally kept things 'tight' without veering into too much flippancy or jokiness. Mostly.

Brief:
It's not perfect, it's not even close. Nowhere could be, even if others don't sound like some wrongheaded mash-up of Quotation and Cretacean. (Which is probably just in my half-deaf head.)
However, it is presented as a mixed-bag broad coverage option for your consideration. Certain things that it lacks could be provided for by future Canonn CGs, or could easily be catered to in your playing tastes by neighbouring systems.
However, what it does possess is a mixture of features which could stand us in good stead across a variety of current and future concerns - the prominent presence of ammonia, Horizons-era (and later Seasons) discovery, high metal content planets, etc.
Its location makes it ideal for explorations beyond the Bubble, especially towards Polaris, while also providing ample expansion opportunities for resource/strategic purposes. Furthermore, an in-Bubble location makes life a shedload easier for maintaining commanders' other breadth of gameplay pursuits.
A High Tech / Refinery system.

Population: 5.4 million
A reasonably 'low millions' population which seems RP viable for a group like The Canonn to administrate. The direct benefit of which is a low CC value in Powerplay. The fact that it is not something piddling like 2,500 also means that future 'work' done in the system could actually have the population push-through of achieving something notable. (No reason why we can't have some pride in our overlordshipness.)
Xenos Note:
I believe it to be utterly devoid of Thargoid lore, or any lore of note. (Thus far!) However, assuming we may not be the ones to make Renewed Contact and somebody starts a war for the hell of it, I hope I am not alone in wanting to be somewhere in proximity to other groups and populated systems while we work to ensure a peaceful resolution in the name of SCIENCE! (Basically, if it comes to war, especially from the direction of Polaris, we aren't playing The Alamo In Space.)
Yet, also of note, the terraformable world is listed as possessed of an Ammonia atmosphere. Thargoid embassy world, anyone?
Who knows? Maybe another race likes breathing nitrogen-argon? Guess we'll see in Season 5...
The System Itself:
K-type Star - so, boringly non-exotic. But, hey, you can scoop!
Terrestrial water world with indigenous life - nitrogen-argon atmosphere
Terrestrial water world terraforming candidate with indigenous life - ammonia atmosphere
Large Jovian gas giant, rings with pristine reserves - but only of ICE sadly - but ammonia present in giant itself
Small Jovian gas giant, rings with pristine reserves - Metal Rich - but ammonia present in giant itself
2 High Metal Content Planets - neither with atmosphere
Asteroid Belt
Plenty of barren, icy moons
Current Minor Factions:
Kotaition Silver Energy Inc - 37% - Federation - Corporation
League of Kotaition Focus - 11% - Independent - Dictator
Kotaition Silver Organisation - 26% - Independent - Unfettered
League of Kotaition Constitution Party - 24% - Independent - Dictator

Overall note - these guys are already divided and nobody has the percentage high-ground. Also of note: despite being a Mahon (Alliance) system in Powerplay terms, it is clearly of so little interest to Mahon that nobody has worked to expand an Alliance Minor Faction in there for political reasons. Too much bother for too little reward, I should think. A good sign.
The Stations:
Gardner Landing - Coriolis (variant with arms) - lacks Black Market - 1450ls from primary
Bose Settlement - Outpost (Commercial) - lacks Black Market and Shipyard - 2020ls from primary

Yes, being closer would be more good, but being a little way out also has the benefit of
a) not being a mental distance out
b) safeguarding against all but the most intent of attempts to impinge upon our sovereignty by rival groups, thanks to the slightly higher bother of flying to our stations to mess with our influence

Possibility of a Canonn CG to reclassify the Outpost or build one closer to the primary.
Gameplay Features:
One of the Jovians has Metal Rich Pristine Reserve rings - so mining's covered but RESs are not shown
Nav Beacon for slapping on intra-system Minor Faction rivals
Forthcoming opportunity to play the 'Freedom Fighter' Powerplay role per individual preference
Lots of scope for Horizons landings as well as some later planetary landing gubbins
Proximity of other systems for variety - almost 50 within 20LY, well over 30 within 17LY, 10 within 10LY
Powerplay:
With so low a CC value and the fact that it is already in the sphere of control by a Mahon Control system right on the edge of the Bubble, much in the way of Powerplay 'interference' is not expected beyond its current status quo. Our 'Independent' status could, while not a direct allegiance to the Alliance, actually stand us in some good stead - after all, it is currently a Federation system (subject to our meddling changes, of course!)
Also, it not being a Control system (or ever likely to become one) means minimal Powerplay interdictions.

Last edited:
Just curious, but is there a place to get more info on this group? From the little info in this thread it sounds kind of interesting.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom