The codex screenshot for the The Dark Wheel - Which system is it?

Well I wrote a program to go trough a 228 GB file of all known systems, filtering by star color, luminosity, distance to gas giant that only has 8 moons of letter h, might see where I can do a sql or csv data dump if anyone's interested. I can filter based on more or less prams. Also need to clean up the code cause its real janky but it works...mostly lol

Good enough for a job at fdev
dataTest.png

I had to rebuild the database due a coding bug, It well takes a bit, but looks some what usable. Working on back testing atm.

Well I wrote a program to go trough a 228 GB file of all known systems, filtering by star color, luminosity, distance to gas giant that only has 8 moons of letter h, might see where I can do a sql or csv data dump if anyone's interested. I can filter based on more or less prams. Also need to clean up the code cause its real janky but it works...mostly lol
where did you get the systems file from ?

Could have sworn I got it from edsm but now I don't see the larger file. Cause what I did was downloaded a weekly build and added the daily builds to update the large file, but now gone?? Idk if I find exactly where I got it from I will link. And that above db screen cap is so wrong, there was a wacky bug in the code lol.

hello all, realise I'm very late to the party. Your help will be appreciated. I found a system which I strongly believe contains TDW. It does not have an eighth moon. It has a large number of gas giants, some of which have moons, and all except one have rings. That gas giant is a brown (orange) dwarf with a single planet. In order to line up the shot shown in the codex entry, i need to be about 0.5 ~ 0.6 ls (some 180,000 km) from the planet. At that distance, a 60 degree cone contains over 300 billion square kilometers. I've already established that stations do not show up visibly in supercruise, no matter how close you get to them. So a dark station will not visibly appear until you drop out into normal space. A daylit station is only visible / recognisable for about 200km. (a nightvision station is only visible for 30km) So the chance of dropping out in the right 200km in that 300billion is effectively zero. What other clues or mechanisms could i be missing, please?

Well, any orbital body, be it planet or station, should show up in the code with a BodyID number. You can look at your player journal log file on your computer, and you'll see text that looks like this:
{ "timestamp":"2022-03-21T20:25:03Z", "event":"SupercruiseExit", "Taxi":false, "Multicrew":false, "StarSystem":"Sol", "SystemAddress":10477373803, "Body":"Halley's Comet", "BodyID":21, "BodyType":"SmallBody" }

That's what shows up when you drop out of supercruise. The main fields you'd be interested in are SystemAddress and BodyID. When you do a Full Spectrum Scan or scan a nav beacon in a system, it'll show the BodyID of every identified body.

What you'd be looking for are the BodyIDs that DON'T show up. So if it lists planet 7 with BodyID 12, and then lists planet 8 with BodyID 14, then that means there's something that's BodyID 13 that's not listed.

This thread goes into some details on how to find hidden BodyIDs in systems:

By entering these weird procgen-style names for systems or bodies into your galmap search, you can target and drop at places that you can't otherwise see. That guy who made that thread has a link to a Google doc you can make a copy of to use to calculate the names you'd need to search for. You would need to enter the SystemAddress into the Google doc, and it would give you the procgen-style name for the system, and some names for the bodies that would be in it. For example, using that Google doc, you can find what the procgen-style name for Sol is, and listed below it also shows the names for body numbers in the system, such as Wregoe AC-D d12-22020096, which is the procgen-style name you can use to find Halley's Comet in Sol. Or, that is to say, the empty point in space that Halley's Comet is gravitationally supposed to be at, since it doesn't actually have a model in game. The above journal log text was from when I stopped by Halley's Comet. As you can see, it's listed by name there, though the point in space is empty. If you were to do a scan in Sol normally and look for BodyIDs listed, you would not see BodyID number 21 normally, as comets exist in the system generation but are hidden.

Anyway, orbital stations are listed with BodyIDs, just like planets and stars and comets are. So if there's a hidden untargetable orbital station in that system, with the way the game is coded, it should have a BodyID. If you look at your player journal log file, you can see if all BodyID numbers in the system are accounted for, or if there's a number missing. If there's a number missing, it might be a comet, it might be the barycenter point between two orbiting bodies, or it might be what you're looking for...

Well, any orbital body, be it planet or station, should show up in the code with a BodyID number. You can look at your player journal log file on your computer, and you'll see text that looks like this:

That's what shows up when you drop out of supercruise. The main fields you'd be interested in are SystemAddress and BodyID. When you do a Full Spectrum Scan or scan a nav beacon in a system, it'll show the BodyID of every identified body.

What you'd be looking for are the BodyIDs that DON'T show up. So if it lists planet 7 with BodyID 12, and then lists planet 8 with BodyID 14, then that means there's something that's BodyID 13 that's not listed.

By entering these weird procgen-style names for systems or bodies into your galmap search, you can target and drop at places that you can't otherwise see. That guy who made that thread has a link to a Google doc you can make a copy of to use to calculate the names you'd need to search for. You would need to enter the SystemAddress into the Google doc, and it would give you the procgen-style name for the system, and some names for the bodies that would be in it. For example, using that Google doc, you can find what the procgen-style name for Sol is, and listed below it also shows the names for body numbers in the system, such as Wregoe AC-D d12-22020096, which is the procgen-style name you can use to find Halley's Comet in Sol. Or, that is to say, the empty point in space that Halley's Comet is gravitationally supposed to be at, since it doesn't actually have a model in game. The above journal log text was from when I stopped by Halley's Comet. As you can see, it's listed by name there, though the point in space is empty. If you were to do a scan in Sol normally and look for BodyIDs listed, you would not see BodyID number 21 normally, as comets exist in the system generation but are hidden.

Anyway, orbital stations are listed with BodyIDs, just like planets and stars and comets are. So if there's a hidden untargetable orbital station in that system, with the way the game is coded, it should have a BodyID. If you look at your player journal log file, you can see if all BodyID numbers in the system are accounted for, or if there's a number missing. If there's a number missing, it might be a comet, it might be the barycenter point between two orbiting bodies, or it might be what you're looking for...
wow. That's stunningly helpful. I'll work through and see what i can find. thank you.

ah. it looks like the overflow has been fixed; or alternatively, it just simply doesn't work on console. I can correctly target the system using the generated name, but incrementing the name for the bodyID is ignored. I'm using the spreadsheet to generate the id's, and none of them are working. does the method definitely still work on pc, please?

Are you in the system itself when you do the search? If you're there, it should target the body, so you can see where it is. At least, that's how it worked for me a few months ago when I last tried. But you're right, it might only work like this in Odyssey, which would mean it wouldn't work on consoles. Sorry about that.

Those numbers are bugging the heck out of me, so i figured, in an attempt to further our mystery solving cause i have a few suggestions that may present a new perspective,
1. can some math geniuses take a long look at the numerical data of shinrarta (where dw is supposedly hiding) and see if it adds up to something? (Perhaps a formula or coords if we use numerical data from even width of planets or some such in shinrarta)
2. What if we look at it all wrong? Go to your map, zoom out, as in all the way out, looks like a wheel huh? What is the biggest, widest or ... darkest? Or perhaps most noteworthy black hole or perhaps "dark" area ( 《---- metaphorical) closest to the center of the "wheel".

.P.S. perhaps another dead end but it might lead to something

I've played this game from early beta, on and off and every time I come back I look back into The Dark Wheel and Raxxla.

I cant help but thinking every time we are missing something so simple.
The amount of people that are looking for them must create things that arnt true and yet people spend months/years looking into.

I mean really all we have as proof is a codex and a toast...

I wish i had more time on the game, but hey - LIFE...

Reviving this thread - sorry. Has there been any effort to compile a workable Excell or Google Sheets list of the systems with 8 moons within 1k ly of Sol?

Also, is there any information out there that discusses decommissioned or 'disused' starports from the past? Any information on Lyta Crane?

Last edited:
There is the great raxxla potato hunt - a community project to search gg8s, but there are many thousands and I think they are struggling to get commitment.

Top Bottom