The codex screenshot for the The Dark Wheel - Which system is it?

I'm starting to lean towards the idea that the station won't appear in the nav panel at all, and will probably require dropping (blindly) out of supercruise close enough to find it. If that's the case then a crucial aspect to finding the station will involve comparing the Codex image to screenshots taken at the target locations and then searching the systems that match with a fine tooth comb.
If that's the case it may as well not exist. Even if you happened to get the right moon (with nothing obvious to distinguish it) the chances of dropping out at the right place would be basically zero.

Another important aspect that probably will need to be worked out is calculating the distance an Orbis station would orbit a particular moon based off the mass of the moon (and other relevant factors). That could both narrow the search even further, as that would allow us to discard some of the systems where the ratio of the moon against the star's backdrop won't match the Codex screenshot and will greatly reduce the search area for the eventual blind supercruise drop search.
I think the only relevant parameter there is the apparent size of the moon in the screenshot - assuming a circular orbit, of course... I don't recall ever seeing a station in a non-circular orbit, but on the other hand I don't see any intrinsic reason they couldn't be, which would make it more complex. Stations can be in pretty varied orbits even around the same body.

The Codex says you searching for them is pointless and that they come to you in a disguise to offer you a test of skill.. We wont be able to find them by searching... Some of us think it is the Polaris system which is locked behind a unknown permit.. I suggest accepting and completing all missions offered by people contacting you and checking out all tipoffs, of course after grinding the known Dark Wheel faction repto full... There have been players at this for years lol and nothing yet... A group of us have even read through the novels and everything

The Codex says you searching for them is pointless and that they come to you in a disguise to offer you a test of skill.. We wont be able to find them by searching... Some of us think it is the Polaris system which is locked behind a unknown permit.. I suggest accepting and completing all missions offered by people contacting you and checking out all tipoffs, of course after grinding the known Dark Wheel faction repto full... There have been players at this for years lol and nothing yet... A group of us have even read through the novels and everything
During the weekend I've been trying to improve the influence of TDW in LFT 926, in which they have 14% influence. I've been doing strategic courier missions, which had follow up missions and each time they were more difficult. I've been also doing passenger missions, giving rides to scientists, generals, heads of state and rebel leaders. Tip off missions were triggered as well, and while doing my 3rd tip off mission (+++ scan), the game started crashing over and over again.

After giving up on that tip off mission and returning to LFT 926, I've discovered that the only passenger missions offered to me were rich tourist missions. No generals, no leaders, no heads of state. I've managed to find one mission with a famous explorer that didn't want to go too far (approx. 1.5kLy) so I'll see what'll happen when I come back.

Resurrecting this thread as I think I found a new candidate star type:

This shot of the unappealing rump of my anaconda was taken in Pi1-Gruis which has an S-type star as primary. This was taken at 700ls distance from the star, so plenty of space to get a GG with 8 moons in..

S-type stars are M-types at the end of their life on their way to being a carbon star. I suspect there aren't too many of them to search for....

Our search did include class S stars, here's the most up to date information about the search:

Gas giant with 8+ moons
• I think we should also count moons of moons just in case. We just don't know what FDev's stance on this is so I say we should include them just in case. It's fairly easy to calculate anyway so why risk it?
Orbiting a star with a solar radius > 10.0
• Gas giants with 8+ moons don't orbit non-giant stars at the distances that would be required to match the Codex image.
• Probably over 30.0, but let's not take any chances here.
The ratio between the solar radius of the star and the distance to the gas giant needs to be over 1% (0.01).
The host star is very likely the primary star of the system

• I've seen one or two systems that have a very massive star as the primary star, and then a ~30 solar radius star as the secondary star. It's very rare, though not impossible.
Possible star types are class M, C, CN, MS or S
• These are all star types that can, under the right temperature, produce the orange/red color we see from the Codex image.
• Only M class giants and super giants could fit the size we are looking for, so red dwarfs are out.
• Tauri stars can match the color, but they don't come anywhere near the size we are looking for.
• Class C, CN, MS and S are all very rare star types. EDSM's 5,000 ly search around Sol returns 6,360 class M giants and supergiants vs. 332 of all the other types combined.
The speculative temperature of the star is between 2,000-3,000K
• All giant stars of the star types above I've visited that were below 2,000K were rendered using the deep red star texture and those above 3,000K were too yellow IMO. The closer to 2,000K the better.
Here's the latest spreadsheet that contains all the systems that fit this criteria within 5000 LY of Sol (last updated in April 2019)

I personally visited all those systems except for one and took screenshots from the 8th moon of the gas giant with the star in the backdrop.

Last edited:
After the fiasco with the trailer for The guardians, do you believe they'll repeat the same mistake and put in the actual game footage?

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Could it be in orbit around a T-Tauri?
Just cos they're variable.
Not impossible in terms of star colour, but I think unlikely

1) T-Tauri stars are generally pretty small, so it'd be implausible the gas giant was close enough for the apparent sizes

2) T-Tauri star systems are young, so large moon systems around the gas giants are extremely rare

Obviously if the system it's in is hand-crafted, anything could happen.

Top Bottom