The codex screenshot for the The Dark Wheel - Which system is it?

It is official info in the game - check The Dark Wheel artictle in Codex. Disused starport (operated minimal power output) orbiting eighth moon of an unnamed gas giant. So I trust it as clue.

Last edited:
The 8th moon thing - whats the source for that - is it official lore?
It's in the Dark Wheel entry in the Codex - 8th moon of a gas giant. However, the Codex notes that this is a theory by one "expert", rather than a definite fact.

Still, it's probably true. The picture, on the other hand, is probably more schematic, and just indicates an M-class star of some sort without distance measurements.

If the codex entry is not reliable it is not meant to be found, I fear. And with so little to go on and such a vast galaxy to scour, if they are deliberately throwing out red herrings we have no chance at all.

Has anyone considered any connections or clues relating to the Dark Wheel logo used in the codex entry? I recall there was similar speculation with the Raxxla codex logo (which resembles something connected to a coriolis station), but not the Dark Wheel.

I also note the DW logo in the codex - presumably the only canonical one - is different to the logos floating around from other sources.

Wild speculation. Can Salomé story help us? She had Imperial tiara with the Dark Wheel symbol. Let's assume she found with her group old Dark Wheel station and used it as the base. She was hiding some time somewhere so why not at that base. On her last journey she traveled from 46 Eridani. I will ignore Col 70 Sector prohibited space and just think about that old the Dark Wheel station is somewhere near. 46 Eridani is 827.83 ly from Sol. I trust the Dark Wheel station must be somewhere under 1000ly from the bubble because they did their activities in it - deep space was just hideout for them. Repeating this is just speculation and it is not time to use it in our search. But still good for thinking about them as organization.

thanks for reminding me of the source. I recall now. Lyta Crane - who is she? No mention anywhere else in galnet - is she real or is the name perhaps a clue in itself - an anagram or hint of some kind? Odd to introduce a person with no backstory. In the galnet archive - no lyta's and no cranes , so not even family..

lyta - as in Hippolyta ? getting all greek myth again..

then there is this

https://exalted-thesunalsorises.obsidianportal.com/characters/lyta

surely not ?? :)

YB

Last edited:
I looked at Lyta Crane a bit, but Galnet sadly tends to be 100% fluff with no actual in game equivalent, so I wasn't sure it was anything but sloppy writing with a throwaway source.

I was also thinking of anagrams or possible translations of "dark wheel" serving as system or body name, for example the Latin "rota", which would be consistent with Frontier's habit of using classical references. But nothing obvious cropped up. It would be easy to hide something in plain sight that way, which is one way I think they would do it. At least, how I don't think they'd do it is by hiding the station on a random system 30,000ly from the bubble.

Another possibility might be if the station was actually no longer disused and was actually a regular station with an obfuscated name, with the Dark Wheel activating inside it. Lack of players visiting with elite status or Dark Wheel faction rank could keep it discrete. Since Frontier is so lazy about some of these things I can't help but think it could be thus.

A possibility which would break all searches to date is if the eighth moon was a named body, not just "xxxx h", but I have serious doubts about it being this obvious.

Has anyone considered any connections or clues relating to the Dark Wheel logo used in the codex entry? Very similar to the Colonia logo at the center. Hmm...

It is official info in the game - check The Dark Wheel artictle in Codex. Disused starport (operated minimal power output) orbiting eighth moon of an unnamed gas giant. So I trust it as clue.

I don’t like saying this. :(

Have you considered that it might be in a permit locked system. One that the Devs can use without interference from us?

Re the assumption that it has to be near to the bubble.
Can I just put forward the idea that the original discovery might have been the result of a mis-jump?
That would give a much larger possible range for it to be in. (Elite v-1 it is argued split the current galaxy into 8 sectors, rather than had 8 galaxies, but I don't know if there is any canon reason to support that in the mo9dern game as some is taken and some discarded from previous incarnations at will).

I forgot post reference to that link of Salomé and the Dark Wheel. It was GalNet on July 21, 3301: https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/GalNet/3301/July.

Lady Kahina’s Imperial Courier, the ‘Seven Veils’, still at the Capitol spaceport, was impounded and examined. It was found to be completely stripped of all valuable equipment, with the modifications made at Avalon shipyards discovered to be carefully crafted fakes.
Lady Kahina’s Imperial tiara was found in the cockpit, along with a small medallion bearing an ancient symbol on one side and the word ‘Salomé’ on the other.
The symbol is believed to belong to an organisation some refer to as ‘The Dark Wheel’.

She had some knowledge about the Dark Wheel. The question is if it was knowledge from her later underworld life or she got this knowledge from Loren lineage.

Re the assumption that it has to be near to the bubble.
Can I just put forward the idea that the original discovery might have been the result of a mis-jump?
That would give a much larger possible range for it to be in. (Elite v-1 it is argued split the current galaxy into 8 sectors, rather than had 8 galaxies, but I don't know if there is any canon reason to support that in the mo9dern game as some is taken and some discarded from previous incarnations at will).

I think you might be confusing it with Raxxla - there is nothing that the Dark Wheel discovered, they simply set up their HQ in an old station, we are told. So the station was apparently already there, which is one reason it might be assumed to be near the original bubble.

Interesting idea about a mis-jump though. If that were the case it could be anywhere and we will have some trouble narrowing it down. Also I believe old ships had radically different drive capabilities (including quirium drives), although it doesn't change the fact the bubble was quite restricted in size.

I hope it isn't permit-locked, or we may as well stop playing now. One thing I did consider was whether there might be traffic traces to the system (from devs, presumably), although I believe for this information to be available to us the devs would have have to be using API tools whilst visiting, which seems unlikely. Since they closed the map loophole which allowed Jaques to be discovered, perhaps they closed off any clues to the Dark Wheel also.

can it be it will be the new station they are building near Sag A* looks it will evolve in this kind of type station,
wild guess Thargoids are attacking more stations we need to flee so we all flock to the new station a new technology will be invented that we can flee through SAG A* to the place were Raxxla is,
All we have is the just one ship we sit in and then we are in 2020 and start in a new Galaxy with the new Elite Episode

Last edited:
I forgot post reference to that link of Salomé and the Dark Wheel. It was GalNet on July 21, 3301: https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/GalNet/3301/July.

She had some knowledge about the Dark Wheel. The question is if it was knowledge from her later underworld life or she got this knowledge from Loren lineage.

IIRC That story was DW’s and he stated that he doesn’t have any info and he’s not involved with TDW and Raxxla story. Also the story has some easter eggs regarding The Children of Raxxla, a player group.

Do we need a summary Dark Wheel thread which states the known facts, as we have for Raxxla? (aware that I probably got off topic here with this thread..)

YB

I'm not creator of this thread but I like it is searching based on the screenshot of the Dark Wheel station from Codex - especially star light color. I didn't try it yet but star texture and color of eruptions are next things I want to look to if we can use it as thumbnail to find similar stars. Of course this picture can be just illustration but it is life :)

I think the issue is we only have the codex entry and screenshot to go on, as far as indisputably canonical hints go. Whilst this is sparse, it allows strict deductive reasoning.

Without sticking to these we end up with the situation seen on the Raxxla thread - with no offence to the thread participants intended - where there is endless futile speculation along increasingly tenuous lines, and elaborations of the same myths over and over ("the devs said somebody scanned the system but nobody found it", etc.). The end result is nobody finds anything.

Hopefully I can put a list of candidates for people to look at and give feedback on up here soon, once I have some confidence it won't be a waste of everybody's time.

I think the issue is we only have the codex entry and screenshot to go on, as far as indisputably canonical hints go. Whilst this is sparse, it allows strict deductive reasoning.

Without sticking to these we end up with the situation seen on the Raxxla thread - with no offence to the thread participants intended - where there is endless futile speculation along increasingly tenuous lines, and elaborations of the same myths over and over ("the devs said somebody scanned the system but nobody found it", etc.). The end result is nobody finds anything.

Hopefully I can put a list of candidates for people to look at and give feedback on up here soon, once I have some confidence it won't be a waste of everybody's time.

“8th moon of a gas giant” and “codex image” are very strong clues imo, there are not many systems fulfill those criterias. The question in my mind is, is it discoverable via regular ways?
Also we know we can’t find them, they will find us and test us without revealing their true identity; thus I’m almost pretty sure that we need triple elite. It’s the only fair way that comes to my mind.

We have missions that spawns signal sources only when we have them. Like salvage missions, surface base raids. They are not there and obviously undiscoverable for that reason. Only when we have the mission and around the body, we encounter a SS or search zones that spawns us an instance to go along with.

We had that article on the Galnet about a hidden surface base, it had some kind of cloaking device and was undiscoverable. People who raided had known where it is and had access codes to infiltrate.

We also know TDW is not one organization, they are more like a group of many organizations, corporations or whatever. When I connect the dots I came into the conclusion that;
- We need triple elite
- Allied with those factions
- Recieve a tip off mission and complete a series of missions that will come along with it
- Recieve a special mission that will give you a permit to an unlisted system and go on

If TDW station or Raxxla is in a reachable system for all players, that would be a real shame imo. Just imagine me finding it and sharing it on the forun & reddit, it would be more crowded than the Jameson Memorial :D TDW and Raxxla should be for 0.1% players at most.

Last edited:
Baiting the Dark Wheel:

we know from what Felicity Farseer said in the CODEX that anyone trying to freeload off the TRDW's reputation will get quietly shut down by the DW themselves.

We have an opportunity in game to set up such an organisation as bait for TRDW to come and get us. We'll need 10 CMDRs to setup a group and then apply for a player minor faction.

We'd have to think carefully about where as there are constraints on 'important lore sites', so we wont be able to set up in the old world systems for instance, and it ought to be somewhere obscure enough, but consistent with the lore. On an eighth moon for instance..

Perfect role playing opportunity :)

I have a nice web domain waiting if someone wants to be the web designer..

YB

Last edited:
Top Bottom