The codex screenshot for the The Dark Wheel - Which system is it?

I've finished crunching through the data for all 8260 systems I got from EDSM and now have a list of 709 systems that contain gas giants with 8 or more moons, for a grand total of 863 gas giants.

The gas giant that's furthest away from the main star clocks in at a whopping 1,241,592 LS away. The medium distance for the 863 total gas giants on the list is only 1,501 LS, so the vast majority of those planets are reasonably close to the main star. Only 59 planets on the list are over 10,000 LS from the main star & 8 systems require a permit.

Elite Dangerous: The search for the Dark Wheel
This might suck, but i would say start with the furthest away...

It could be a Class L or something.
However, if we're looking at the back of the station, stations usually face the thing they are orbiting, so it seems likely that that is a moon or tiny planet.
If the station is orbiting a moon of a gas giant, then presumably the gas giant is outside the frame somewhere.
Skipped a few pages of reading to add a response...

What we might be seeing is the station, facing both the moon we can see and it's host which could be out of shot to the upper left or behind the station. (I can't see the galactic plane so orientation isn't confirmed?) If we're behind said moon we could be in an L2 point which may reduce the power required to maintain position due to the gravitational anomalies.

Seems to comply with the Codex entry but there's a problem, we'd then be orbiting the host gas giant, albeit in a geostationary L2 position behind the 8th moon and not orbiting the moon itself. To rectify that this moon would need a subsequent moon of it's own, like we see in Shinrarta Dezhra AB 2 F A (The 7th moon) but not 2 H (which would then be the 9th moon, not the 8th).

That might narrow down the search a little?

Edit: Ok, caught up on the whole thread and yep, this could easily be a very rare conjunction as well.

Edit [2] Afterthought re: Permit locks
I noticed in the last week or so that I'd forgotten to unlock Terra Mater and Nastrond and both factions were showing the permit unlock at the top of their lists as a chained follow on mission, even though I was still neutral with both. I've also been back to the (Allied) DW base on SD AB 2 H - Neumann Camp recently with triple Elite and no similar mission was visible.

This might be a lot easier if the PC version had some kind of achievement list to tick off in the hope of accidentally triggering any TDW invitation counters that might be accumulating but hidden out of sight?

Last edited:
Lyta Crane likes arcane brown dwarfs (L,Y,T) ? And maybe she was high on onion head and took a planet for a moon and a dwarf for a giant ?

It could be something like this.

Have folks taken into account moons of moons in the search?

Codex entry says the 8th moon, but that may not mean moon "h".

Example 1) If a planet has moons a, b, c, d, e, e a, f, and g, then g is the 8th moon.

Example 2) If a planet has moons a, b, c, c a, d, d a, e, f, g, then f is the 8th moon.
That would be an unusual way of interpreting it which made "The Moon" the fourth planet in our solar system. That doesn't seem likely.

'c a' is not a moon of the planet - it's a moon of 'c'.

Also a question for those of you out there with access to the imported data dump from the EDSM API: what's the closest you've found a gas giant with 8+ moons to it's parent star?
...and how does that correlate with the radius and mass of the star?

This is an important question to ask of the EDSM data, I think. The chances of the station being in a system which was already visited as of 3.3 release I think are basically zero (so the gas giant itself won't be in the EDSM data). But it could give very useful information on how close the gas giant can plausibly be to a red dwarf, red giant or red supergiant star - if it was possible to rule out red dwarf stars, and then just concentrate on looking for uncatalogued red giant and supergiant stars near Sol, that could speed up the search a lot.

Might help a bit, but the supergiant isn't always the primary, eg Rigel (Orion).

Edit: The supergiant isn't always the entry point, as in the case above.

Last edited:
Brief mention in case it's important later...

Found a lagrange cloud that appears to be in the L3 point.
HIP 24936 A 19 C (Same orbit & behind the host Y Dwarf)
A Notable Stellar Phenomena that's only 725 Ly from Sol!

Belated edit: Thanks for adding the orrery to the system map FDev, long overdue and much appreciated. Hopefully the next notable stellar phenomena I find will also be in an L3 point, and I can get excited about FDev populating the more stable L4 and L5 points with gigantic fields of (currently missing) trojan objects.

Last edited:
Caveat: I have not read all pages of the thread yet so this may have already been discussed.

On page one there is a lot of discussion about the colour of the star. To my mind the image looks manipulated for dramatic effect. Changing the colour could easily be done in any number of ways (filter, colour balance, colour subtraction, levels, curves, overlays) in Photoshop. So hunting for a specific hue if red, could be a red herring (no pun intended).

Top Bottom