The Community

How about an extended PC beta, instead of going from Alpha directly into Live Service?

People will still buy it.

Once the update is ready on all platforms, release into Live Service.

Who knows, we might actually get a half bug free update at the end of it, and we won't fracture the community even further as we step confidently into 'Elite's biggest update so far'?
Works for me. I'm expecting further delays anyway.

OK. But generally when the majority missunderstand you then perhaps it is time to consider who is at fault.
You want PCVR to release at the same time as console so as not to fracture the community but you are not asking for the pc version to be delayed. What am I missing?

Beta is not release btw so an extended PC beta is still asking for a delay to release version

Deleted member 182079

D
How about an extended PC beta, instead of going from Alpha directly into Live Service?

People will still buy it.

Once the update is ready on all platforms, release into Live Service.

Who knows, we might actually get a half bug free update at the end of it, and we won't fracture the community even further as we step confidently into 'Elite's biggest update so far'?
I will not buy Odyssey until it's released. So any half baked, unfinished alpha "releases" are meaningless to me, plus ... what happens in Alpha/Beta stays in Alpha/Beta - glorified demo is what most people will have paid for.

Buy more ARX and they could!
Lol no. I have paid more upfront for ED than I have any other game. (MSFS2020 a very distant 2nd place) any money I put into ED now will be AFTER they release something I was not expecting/or really REALLY wanted but was worried was no longer coming and I feel is above and beyond.....

Lots of talk about The Community in online games these days. In fact, The Community is so important game developers employ Community Managers.

There are many large, medium and small player groups that have formed organically around Elite: Dangerous. Sharing experiences together. Transcending barriers such as geographic location, age, language, physicality, and pandemic related lock downs. Working towards common goals. Forming friendships that truly transcend the game world.

Odyssey is Elite Dangerous's biggest ever content update, and we are now unfortunately about to fracture The Community by breaking them into groups of those that can play Odyssey, and those that cannot, not out of choice, but due to a decision that has been intentionally made (whatever the reasons - a different discussion). Those that cannot will sit on the side-lines, watching, while all of the "Firsts" and "New Experiences" get played out directly in front of them, but from behind a perspex screen that they are unable to interact with in any meaningful way. In view, but just out of reach.

Perhaps The Community is not as important as we think it is? But I personally don't think that's true.

My ask is this: Please don't split The Community up. Release Odyssey on PC first by all means. Have testing periods on PC, but don't release it in Production until all of The Community can be involved, at least, those that want to. Not doing so I fear will irrecoverably damage some of the wonderful Communities that have grown around this amazing game.

Right on CMDRs!

o7

As a console owner, I see where you're coming from. But the community was split long before now. Xbox players couldn't land on planets for around a year due to no Horizions DLC, and PC players.......could. The community survived.

The community has been split for years now. Commanders limited to playing within their own platform. True unification won't be achieved until cross-play comes to this game, and there's probably more chance of Megaship Piracy being fixed right now so.....yeah.

As a console owner, I see where you're coming from. But the community was split long before now. Xbox players couldn't land on planets for around a year due to no Horizions DLC, and PC players.......could. The community survived.

The community has been split for years now. Commanders limited to playing within their own platform. True unification won't be achieved until cross-play comes to this game, and there's probably more chance of Megaship Piracy being fixed right now so.....yeah.

Forget the past. Let's not compound problems caused by previous decisions any further. March into the future, together!

Forget the past. Let's not compound problems caused by previous decisions any further. March into the future,
I would be ok with that. The future is not 2013 hardware which was even "meh!" Back then. May as well ditch Xbox1 and PS4 then if you want to march into the future and not hamstring hardware released this decade.

I think a lot would complain.

Concerning the desaster of Cyberpunk 2077 on the older consoles (aside from the cross-platform bugs), it's a wise choice to take more time to polish it for other systems.

You still have to purchase Odyssey in order to access it in Alpha or Beta, or indeed when it goes live.

I get that it's easy to dismiss others, and the groups that have flourished, that's a valid choice - blaze your own trail - and also the nature of Internet and most online forums.

FDev sold a PC only pre-order. Regardless of yours (or anyone else's) thoughts on pre-orders, many people have forked over money. Console users have no skin in this expansion yet. If they took pre-order money for a game not coming out for another 9 months, when it was sold as something coming "early 2021", I think people would go ape sh*t. FDev would be looking at having to deal with a group of people who would be demanding their pre-order money back, bad publicity, or worse.

There is no good reason to push the release back for console players. It's not like there is no precedence of variance in releases by platform. The PC version came out before the XBox version which came out before the PS4 version. In each case there was an "unfair advantage" to the previous platform, but everyone lived through it and you will live through this one too.

FDev sold a PC only pre-order. Regardless of yours (or anyone else's) thoughts on pre-orders, many people have forked over money. Console users have no skin in this expansion yet. If they took pre-order money for a game not coming out for another 9 months, when it was sold as something coming "early 2021", I think people would go ape sh*t. FDev would be looking at having to deal with a group of people who would be demanding their pre-order money back, bad publicity, or worse.

There is no good reason to push the release back for console players. It's not like there is no precedence of variance in releases by platform. The PC version came out before the XBox version which came out before the PS4 version. In each case there was an "unfair advantage" to the previous platform, but everyone lived through it and you will live through this one too.

Don't delay. Release as a beta. There's no need to delay release, just don't enable live service until all platforms are ready. That way we can prevent splitting the community up.

Don't delay. Release as a beta. There's no need to delay release, just don't enable live service until all platforms are ready. That way we can prevent splitting the community up.

I don't think many people would be excited about playing a beta for 6 months just to have everything they've done wiped because "it's not fair to consoles". There's trillions of things to put your name on in this game. A six month head start isn't going to make a measurable difference.

I don't think many people would be excited about playing a beta for 6 months just to have everything they've done wiped because "it's not fair to consoles". There's trillions of things to put your name on in this game. A six month head start isn't going to make a measurable difference.

I understand that the sensible, non-selfish view is not going to be popular with some individuals on this forum, and that's ok. But think of it this way, perhaps if they did it like this, you'd get a half stable live release.

C'mon dude, it's obvious that the only reason you created this thread is because you envy the PC master race. ;)

Elite is not the first game to have different release dates for different platforms, and considering that the vast majority of the player base are on PC, delaying the release date for that platform just because the minority are getting it delayed is stupid.

People that complain about the console delay would be the first here to create "Odyssey on consoles is unplayable, how typical of Frontier" threads if the devs went ahead with the console launch.

C'mon dude, it's obvious that the only reason you created this thread is because you envy the PC master race. ;)

Elite is not the first game to have different release dates for different platforms, and considering that the vast majority of the player base are on PC, delaying the release date for that platform just because the minority are getting it delayed is stupid.

People that complain about the console delay would be the first here to create "Odyssey on consoles is unplayable, how typical of Frontier" threads if the devs went ahead with the console launch.

I have a PC, dude, and I'm not suggesting a delay.

I understand that the sensible, non-selfish view is not going to be popular with some individuals on this forum, and that's ok. But think of it this way, perhaps if they did it like this, you'd get a half stable live release.
And yet it didn't stop you making the thread!. Even in the great VR debacle none of the vr folk asked for the game be delayed pending getting a full VR release they/we just asked for confirmation it would be actively worked on. You already have that. Console support IS coming.

IF the game is unplayable it should not release , I am with you there..... But that includes console as well ... It could mean pc release in November and console in 2022

Last edited:
Top Bottom