The Community

I understand that the sensible, non-selfish view is not going to be popular with some individuals on this forum, and that's ok. But think of it this way, perhaps if they did it like this, you'd get a half stable live release.
Asking for a delay is the selfish view, in my opinion. Having a 6 month beta or delaying the retail release is not going to be the more popular choice among the millions of PC players, especially if the only reason is to delay certain players from putting their space name on things in a game. Remember, Horizons players and Odyssey players will not play in different instances of the game, so power play, the BGS, and Horizons discoveries are still shared among the community. The only thing that appears to be exclusive to PC players will be the newly accessible planets and discoverable plants (as far as we know right now).

We need Obsidian Ant to do one of his famous poles on the topic.

Lots of talk about The Community in online games these days. In fact, The Community is so important game developers employ Community Managers.

There are many large, medium and small player groups that have formed organically around Elite: Dangerous. Sharing experiences together. Transcending barriers such as geographic location, age, language, physicality, and pandemic related lock downs. Working towards common goals. Forming friendships that truly transcend the game world.

Odyssey is Elite Dangerous's biggest ever content update, and we are now unfortunately about to fracture The Community by breaking them into groups of those that can play Odyssey, and those that cannot, not out of choice, but due to a decision that has been intentionally made (whatever the reasons - a different discussion). Those that cannot will sit on the side-lines, watching, while all of the "Firsts" and "New Experiences" get played out directly in front of them, but from behind a perspex screen that they are unable to interact with in any meaningful way. In view, but just out of reach.

Perhaps The Community is not as important as we think it is? But I personally don't think that's true.

My ask is this: Please don't split The Community up. Release Odyssey on PC first by all means. Have testing periods on PC, but don't release it in Production until all of The Community can be involved, at least, those that want to. Not doing so I fear will irrecoverably damage some of the wonderful Communities that have grown around this amazing game.

Right on CMDRs!

o7

I play on XB and on PC.

And i'd rather have them delay the Console version and focus on PC one than realease a bad PC version and an even worse console version

I certainly dont want to be cyberpunked and i would guess no sane consoler would want it

Don't delay. Release as a beta. There's no need to delay release, just don't enable live service until all platforms are ready. That way we can prevent splitting the community up.
That isn't release... Jesus C,........ By thst logic Star Citizen is released!.
Don't delay it.... Just don't release it..... That is some logic there.

I understand that the sensible, non-selfish view is not going to be popular with some individuals on this forum, and that's ok. But think of it this way, perhaps if they did it like this, you'd get a half stable live release.

I don’t think it’s fair to call people that put down money for something advertised as being released in early 2021 selfish for expecting it in early 2021.

And yes, that’s release, that’s production. That’s not alpha, that’s not beta.

I don’t think it’s fair to call people that put down money for something advertised as being released in early 2021 selfish for expecting it in early 2021.

And yes, that’s release, that’s production. That’s not alpha, that’s not beta.
I don't even mind so much if it isn't finished. I DO mind if it is just to keep a minority of jealous kids who feel if I can't have the toys no one should have them happy.

Staggering launch of Elite's most anticipated content update will only lead to split and fractured communities. Community is the very thing that makes Elite more than "just a game", and so is the one thing that Frontier should be trying to protect and foster above all else, in times such as these. Releasing a beta period on PC in-line with the currently communicated release date, and not switching on live service until all platforms are onboard for the update, is absolutely the best way forward.

Staggering launch of Elite's most anticipated content update will only lead to split and fractured communities. Community is the very thing that makes Elite more than "just a game", and so is the one thing that Frontier should be trying to protect and foster above all else, in times such as these. Releasing a beta period on PC in-line with the currently communicated release date, and not switching on live service until all platforms are onboard for the update, is absolutely the best way forward.
Not sure ... I play alone. All random "friends" I did in game - went off 1-2 month(s) later forever. Each one. And forums remain same regardless updates :D

Staggering launch of Elite's most anticipated content update will only lead to split and fractured communities.

Are you new here?

The community as you call it is fragmented already and has been since the day the xbox version was released with zero cross-play and it only got more fragmented when they released the ps4 version with again no cross-play.

A few months delay for the consoles to get the expansion will not change a thing.

I think your concept of Community is a little off. The Community you are talking about so passionately are only those past, present and (maybe) future players of the game. From my long association here at least I would estimate that it is only a very small percentage of the player base that frequent these forums, Reddit (I am sure Stuart will be able to provide numbers), Steam and I guess you can include Facebook. I would even go as far as saying that the percentage is low, single digit low. So this Community you are so valiantly fighting for is around 1 out of every 10 players (and I think I am being generous here). So if the issue of the PC world getting their grubby hands on the DLC before those with Consoles is so big, so momentous that you are suggesting FD hold of the official release of the DLC then I would expect a lot more requesting the same. Yet you are the only one who has thought this is serious enough to raise a thread. And why now, FD have always stated that the PC version would release first, why the sudden urgency to force FD to change their production and release schedule just to appease a very small number of players (those that are complaining).

I think your concept of Community is a little off. The Community you are talking about so passionately are only those past, present and (maybe) future players of the game. From my long association here at least I would estimate that it is only a very small percentage of the player base that frequent these forums, Reddit (I am sure Stuart will be able to provide numbers), Steam and I guess you can include Facebook. I would even go as far as saying that the percentage is low, single digit low. So this Community you are so valiantly fighting for is around 1 out of every 10 players (and I think I am being generous here). So if the issue of the PC world getting their grubby hands on the DLC before those with Consoles is so big, so momentous that you are suggesting FD hold of the official release of the DLC then I would expect a lot more requesting the same. Yet you are the only one who has thought this is serious enough to raise a thread. And why now, FD have always stated that the PC version would release first, why the sudden urgency to force FD to change their production and release schedule just to appease a very small number of players (those that are complaining).

I'd certainly agree that our concepts of community differ greatly, and probably just leave it at that 🙃

I'd certainly agree that our concepts of community differ greatly, and probably just leave it at that 🙃
No, lets hear your definition of the Community since you seem to be speaking on their behalf. I think you are getting confused with the player base and those that take that extra step and get involved in the aspects of the game outside of the game, i.e. forums etc. You seem supremely confident that this 'group' will rise up and revolt if a segment is perceived to get a favourable outcome over the rest, where is your evidence that the majority feel this way?

But you tell us, what percentage of the player base do you think makes the Community?

I hear why everyone should get delivery at the same time and it makes sense at one level. However PC side they can release and patch at will, they cannot on console. The pc player base has a myriad of pc combo's that you can work your way through the issues on. Furthermore if you eliminate as much of the nasty bugs before you head to consoles you likely reduce the patches for the consoles. A further issue is you spread your support team thinner. Finally another big factor is revenue, the PC release value is much more than console and to meet their revenue numbers it needs to go out before year end. CP2077 is a great example of the problem of simultaneous release to all platforms.

Interestingly ED was a PC only game that subsequently had a console release. Are the console releases branches from the PC code or is there one code base for all. If its the former, the more you can get in the PC code the better otherwise you are maintaining core and the console releases and potentially fixing the same defect 3 times.

It appears the venerable @Plater agrees with the theme of inclusivity, and the idea of having an extended beta and simultaneous platform release. Do yourselves a favour and watch his eloquent delivery of an opinion with the same theme as the OP of this thread.

Source: https://youtu.be/y0bjuj9L9x0?t=150

33o7

CMDR Plater is not the voice of millions of PC players. It doesn't matter how eloquently he puts it, there is no reason to delay the game on PC if it goes through the Alpha stage satisfactorily, the most glaring bugs are identified and fixed, and it is ready to release on PC. Sitting on the release because certain console players do not like that PC players get it first is asinine.

And to be clear, I enjoy CMDR Plater's content. He seems like a nice guy. Just don't misconstrue his, or any other content creator's, words as the voice of the entire community.

Last edited:
Top Bottom