The Community

If it were not a shared universe I would agree, however this is not the case.

How much bgs will be affected by on foot gameplay? How many worlds will be tagged in our absence?

At least when gta5 came out on different platforms at different times no one had to share the same sandbox, already dirtied up by everyone else already playing in it.

If they want to keep us separated they should separate the cross-platform bgs and tags.

I'm actually starting to think FDev wants us fighting amongst ourselves so we aren't point the finger at them

You’ll be able to play the BGS in a ship or you you’ll be able to play it on foot, but you won’t be able to do both at the same time. I’d be shocked if there was some sort of “on foot” BGS multiplier for Odyssey players. I suspect any BGS activities done on food can be undone by someone in a ship still playing Horizons.

I would be totally down with separate universes by platform, though. That would relieve them of all of this nonsense. Perhaps FDev are doing all of this on purpose. 🧐

No. Community will anyway be split between those who purchase Odyssey and those who don't.

I see no reason to delay release on any platform a day longer than necessary. We've had two plus years of limited content updates. I see no reason to delay PC release to appease console people who are upset they are not getting it at the same time.

Yeah, it sucks. It also sucks when we have to wait years to get games on PC that are initially console exclusives.

I'm actually starting to think FDev wants us fighting amongst ourselves so we aren't point the finger at them
Oh i dunno a lot of people still moan at FD (myself included) but with many of billions of planets to go around I don't think a few months either way matter. ED and ED:Horizons both had different launch dates so the playerbase surely should have anticipated it was a possibility.
Hell there was a possibility FD could have dropped the last gen consoles all together .
Be glad they haven't done that.

Every time a new major.DLC drops All bets are off (and indeed I will be surprised if the DLC after this one comes out on xbox1 and PS4)

No. Releasing a beta period on PC in-line with the currently communicated release date, and not switching on live service until all platforms are onboard for the update, is absolutely the best way forward for everyone... in my opinion.
That is NOT release. Sugar cost it all you want you ARE asking FD to delay the pc version. I disagree with you (that is fine btw we don't have to agree) but at least be honest about what you are asking

Then they should offer us something in recompense since we are not able to preorder and get the pioneers suit, we weren't able to preorder and get the Cobra 4, we will NEVER have VR. Maybe it's just a little bit here and there but it adds up and we're getting sick of it. Maybe a Playstation exclusive crappy small or medium ship would help to satiate us😉
I can't link as was ages ago but fD didn't choose to not release VR on PS4 iirc. They just could not get it to work on vanilla PS4 and Sony won't allow ps4pro only features.
The vanilla PS4 with its hardware which was at best midrange back in 2013 does amaze me what you can do with heavy optimisation (which takes a lot of time and date I say may be part of the delay) but there is only so much you can do and I can get it if a game like ED in VR is a step to far. NMS barely managed it and that is on a far smaller less detailed scale than ED .

I hope if FD embrace ps5 they will reconsider but it depends if they think there is enough money in it. After all they almost ditched pcvr aswell (at launch) but you as a PS4 player know what not at launch means.

@boppa_ There is no point pleading this here. you need to take it to the elitePS reddit. To much PCMR entitled shadiness for anything that will ever resemble unity in this community.
That has frak all to do with it. ED launched as a PC game.... A good whole later consoles came too. Xbox has some features where they launched 1st btw such as CQC and we had to lump it.
It stands to reason a primary pc game is the lead platform and IF console versions need some extra.work to get them out so be it.

NMS also has individual discoveries. That didn't come out at same time for all either.

Like many I see community as an out of game thing. Been a member of a couple of player groups over the years - all PC only. Am I right in thinking squadrons are platform specific - squadrons being the in-game group mechanic?

I do remember going up against another player group with one groups - BGS over a system, and laughing whilst being chased in SC..... they did not have Horizons, so landable planet atmospheres seperated the instances, and became good hiding places for us. Funny enough, mission runners were quckly switched to a ground bases.

Player group competition can be effected by ownership, hence availability of DLC, but only on the same platform. In those rare occurances when 2 sides play in open for the competition/engagement clearly you have access to the same instance to engange. The way the BGS is structured though , you can compete withouth the same DLC. So no foul.

Not seeing ther argument here either.

Simon

So you are talking about a delay then :D
Well you would still be able to purchase and play Odyssey in-line with the communicated timeframes. So... no.
It's a delay in all but name now just own it.
I may be wrong but this sounds as if we have an owner of a less than adequate PC as well as a PS5...
(As a PS5 can be bought (assuming one can find somewhere with stock) for less than the price of a reasonable GPU or current 'performance' CPU)

I don't know what describing concurrent release of all platforms even though the PC version would have been feature complete for months could possibly be called apart from delayed release, but what do I know?

Very nice to wrap the concern around "The Community" though, it makes it sound reasonable, not as if "The Community" is not already just a bunch of fragmented groups who probably couldn't agree on what to have for lunch, let alone on what the game is supposed to be. There is no "Community", just a bunch of communities with common interests.

Then they should offer us something in recompense since we are not able to preorder and get the pioneers suit, we weren't able to preorder and get the Cobra 4, we will NEVER have VR. Maybe it's just a little bit here and there but it adds up and we're getting sick of it. Maybe a Playstation exclusive crappy small or medium ship would help to satiate us😉

Have they said there will be no pre-order for consoles?

Very nice to wrap the concern around "The Community" though, it makes it sound reasonable, not as if "The Community" is not already just a bunch of fragmented groups who probably couldn't agree on what to have for lunch, let alone on what the game is supposed to be. There is no "Community", just a bunch of communities with common interests.

Tuna Mayo Baked potato.

I'd love that! Maybe without the Mayo, and I don't really like potato, and Tuna gives me indigestion... ;)
No way will I eat that. I will now create an Open Letter, signed by many people without their knowledge, on behalf of everyone because I know that I am right. My Open Letter will be very tersely penned, demanding the outright banning of all Tuna and Tuna related products and only the luncheon meats I personally approve will be allowed.

I respect both of you and your right to be wrong.

@frontier They've both hurt my feelings so if you could ban them that would be awesome. Also be a good chap and delay the pc release of Odyssey.

I may be wrong but this sounds as if we have an owner of a less than adequate PC as well as a PS5...

Your instincts are correct, you are wrong. I can play Elite just fine on either platform (and respectfully, that's not the topic of this thread).

That's not to say though, that I agree with consciously excluding a significant section of the player-base from a huge update for an extended period of time, in the sense of it being applied to the live, shared simulation environment.

Delaying Odyssey for consoles may not impact me personally, but it will impact plenty of others, and I think that's enough to consider the proposition of an alternate way forward. There's a broader and more progressive concept here about fostering a collective experience in a live service game, regardless of platform choice.

After taking so many steps forward in that direction recently, yesterday's news is a huge step backwards in that regard, and I for one would like an alternative to be discussed and considered.

I don't expect many here will agree, given the nature of this particular section of the forum.

No, if you read exactly what I've written that's not what I'm suggesting.
Indeed so...
Release Odyssey on PC first by all means. Have testing periods on PC, but don't release it in Production until all of The Community can be involved, at least, those that want to. Not doing so I fear will irrecoverably damage some of the wonderful Communities that have grown around this amazing game.
You are not asking for it to be delayed at all, simply not released, so those suggesting that you ask for "Delay" are entirely wrong.

Top Bottom