General / Off-Topic The Covid vaccine must be mandatory ?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Get a second opinion immediately, your life and your families lives may depend on it.
But I feel fine and have been since the start.
I'am in the best physical shape of my life (late 30's)
My fam is at a distance and I don't have kids.
I'll take my chances :)

o7

I asked my doctor: what's the best course of action?
And she said: Take it if you want to, but if you don't, don't.

One thing that doesn't work is throwing articles at each other. That's for sure
Let's just be humans and have respect for eachother.

o7

Well said.

And your doc is a great person (y)

That’s why I got my vaccination - it means there’s less chance of me unwittingly spreading the virus to other people.

Two of my family got COVID after being fully vaccinated - one had no symptoms at all, and the other had a rough week and still hasn’t got their sense of taste/smell back nearly 3 months later. Infection could’ve only been from shopping in the supermarket.

I can’t believe people are still selfishly putting their own feelings above the well-being of their fellow humans 🤷‍♂️

That’s why I got my vaccination - it means there’s less chance of me unwittingly spreading the virus to other people.

Two of my family got COVID after being fully vaccinated - one had no symptoms at all, and the other had a rough week and still hasn’t got their sense of taste/smell back nearly 3 months later. Infection could’ve only been from shopping in the supermarket.

I can’t believe people are still selfishly putting their own feelings above the well-being of their fellow humans 🤷‍♂️

How do you know the spreader was not a vaccinated? :unsure:

From what I've heard, the vaccine seem as effective as snake oil. Still not sure I'm going to bother with the 3rd shot 🤷‍♂️
I might take the 4th though, if they have managed to "dial it in" better :p

Best thing now(and that actually works), is just socially distance, and wear masks in public buildings.

From what I've heard, the vaccine seem as effective as snake oil. Still not sure I'm going to bother with the 3rd shot 🤷‍♂️
I might take the 4th though, if they have managed to "dial it in" better :p

Best thing now(and that actually works), is just socially distance, and wear masks in public buildings.

Being vaccinated will allow you to develop antibodies that will kill the virus before multiplying enough to make you ill and/or to make you a spreader.
If you dont have enough antibodies (for whatever reasons) and get the Covid - being vaccinated will mean that you will have little to no chances to end up in hospital or worse.

The point being:
Vaccination is not enough indeed, but wearing masks and keeping distance is not enough either.
Both are needed for self protection as well for protecting the others that are less fortunate and have higher chances to be severely affected by Covid.

The point being:
Vaccination is not enough indeed, but wearing masks and keeping distance is not enough either.
Both are needed for self protection as well for protecting the others that are less fortunate and have higher chances to be severely affected by Covid.
THIS.
There is no "magic bullet" solution to a pandemic, but we can do everything necessary, to reduce spread, minimise pressure on health services, keep variants from developing coughcoughwaivepatentscoughcough, protect people around us, and then we can get it all over with sooner.

It's not always about you.

Right from the start, this whole pandemic and how people are dealing with it has put me in mind of the parable of the long spoons:

What is heaven? What is hell? The parable of the Long Spoons explains very well what heaven and hell truly are.

One day a man said to God, “God, I would like to know what Heaven and Hell are like.”
God showed the man two doors. Inside the first one, in the middle of the room, was a large round table with a large pot of vegetable stew. It smelled delicious and made the man’s mouth water, but the people sitting around the table were thin and sickly. They appeared to be famished. They were holding spoons with very long handles and each found it possible to reach into the pot of stew and take a spoonful, but because the handle was longer than their arms, they could not get the spoons back into their mouths.
The man shuddered at the sight of their misery and suffering. God said, “You have seen Hell.”
Behind the second door, the room appeared exactly the same. There was the large round table with the large pot of wonderful vegetable stew that made the man’s mouth water. The people had the same long-handled spoons, but they were well nourished and plump, laughing and talking.
The man said, “I don’t understand.”
God smiled. It is simple, he said, Love only requires one skill. These people learned early on to share and feed one another. While the greedy only think of themselves…
Sometimes, thinking solely of our personal gratification, we tend to forget our interdependence with everyone and everything around us, so much so that we stop caring about them.

But, as this parable makes it clear, by doing so not only don’t we help others overcome their suffering, but we’re also unconsciously harming ourselves, since we are all connected on a very deep level.

Direct quote taken from here

Last edited:
It's not always about you.
According to several human right laws I have the right to choose for myself.
I wish a healthy life for everyone. You included, vaxxed or not.

I'am certainly not complying because you said I have to.

Live long and prosper my brother.

o7

Right from the start, this whole pandemic and how people are dealing with it has put me in mind of the parable of the long spoons:

What is heaven? What is hell? The parable of the Long Spoons explains very well what heaven and hell truly are.

Sometimes, thinking solely of our personal gratification, we tend to forget our interdependence with everyone and everything around us, so much so that we stop caring about them.

But, as this parable makes it clear, by doing so not only don’t we help others overcome their suffering, but we’re also unconsciously harming ourselves, since we are all connected on a very deep level.

That's powerfull stuff.

o7

o7
Interesting that you sign off using a Spock saying. Here’s another:

The needs of the many…outweigh…the needs of the few…or the one.”

I hope you live long and prosper, but I hope more that you don’t deny long life and prosperity to others by being a virus source.

🖖🏼

That's powerful even for a faithless heathen like me (y).

o7
And society can restrict your movement, travel and employment opportunities to protect everyone else's right to life.

South African hospitals report a surge in infected children under age 5.
Rates of COVID-19 among hospitalized younger children in South Africa under five "is now second highest and second only to the incidence in those over 60."
That raises 2 questions.

Why not the older ones? Nobody under 12 has had any Covid vaccines. What is protecting children from 6-12?

Will we see that pattern where we live? Kind of important as we cannot vaccinate and protect that group.

The SA vaccination schedule is here. This is a paed. website that basically cuts and pastes from their government posted schedule.
If you look through, (I did it so you don't have to) the only new vaccines offered after age 5 are tetanus and diptheria boosters, which they already got multiple times. There is no obvious reason why that would have a strong enough effect to cause an age cutoff. DPT figures for heterologous protection are only around 25% for the wild type Covid anyhow.

However, MMR is not on the schedule, just measles. So by and large, the children there are lacking in heterologous protection afforded by that vaccine. (But private paediatricians are giving it, we just do not know at what age, or to how many. Probably not a big factor? )

Why didn't previous variants cause infection there if that is a valid reason though? Something else was protecting the young kids, and it has stopped working.

Well we have a different virus now. So heterologous protection info is all obsolete, but from this new data we can make an inference:
It's probable that protection from diptheria/tetanus and other childhood vaccines has decreased with this variant, causing the rise in childhood infection. We ought to prepare for that wherever we live.

Exposing me or mine to a potentially dangerous pathogen is about as far from respect as it gets.

o7

I'll respect your right to be disrespectful and be delusional about it, but the idea that your decision to refrain from doing so is anything less than supremely disrespectful to everyone you may come into contact with in your community, and society at large, is an abject farce.

"Just respect each other!", says the guy reading the newspaper while taking a dump in the town well.

And your doc is a great person (y)

His doctor sounds like a quack. The ambivalent non-recommendation implies no significant contraindications, which makes anything less than a strong recommendation to get vaccinate a bad recommendation.

Far from impossible, but also less likely.

From what I've heard, the vaccine seem as effective as snake oil.

Probably because you're listening to quacks.

Far from impossible, but also less likely.

Current data on transmission for Delta:
Vaccinated individuals were also 65% less likely than unvaccinated individuals to infect someone else,
Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02259-2
Study conducted in Hong Kong. From this source:

Estimated R0 for Delta is 6.4. There's a 2 day gap between becoming infectious and showing any symptoms, which makes it harder to stop. Most transmission is from an apparently healthy person.

Current data on transmission for Delta:

Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02259-2
Study conducted in Hong Kong. From this source:

Estimated R0 for Delta is 6.4. There's a 2 day gap between becoming infectious and showing any symptoms, which makes it harder to stop. Most transmission is from an apparently healthy person.

There has been a lot of discussion and some doubt as to how much vaccination actually limits the spread of coronavirus infection, probably skewed by methodology and behavioral trends. However, the idea that, on a physical/biological level, vaccination could be doing anything less than significantly reducing the odds of becoming infected at all, and even if one does become infected, significantly reduce the amount of virus shed, was always absurd.

I like to have facts to back up the blatantly obvious, but this is one of those things that, even if you never measured it, it should be pretty damn clear that one stance makes sense and one does not.

Every time someone expresses doubt as to the ability of vaccination to limit the spread of SARS-CoV-2, I'm reminded of that time a cook on Hell's Kitchen thought that cold water would boil faster than hot water:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bX5zwnQxA4

Vaccine skeptics: I didn't realize that reducing the ability of the virus to reproduce would reduce the amount of virus around.
Mask skeptics: I didn't realize that reducing the amount of virus that makes it out of my face would reduce the amount of virus around.
Both: I need to see ten peer reviewed studies that prove the sky is indeed blue, and even after you provide them, I still won't believe you and will find that one guy (with a PhD in Bird Law) who claims to be able to prove, scientificalistically, that the sky is indeed neon black.
Everyone else: What?

Anyway, the details are important for a whole slew of epidemiologically relevant reasons, but the fundamentals of subtraction and the basic theory of probability shouldn't ever have been in question. Seeing this constant stream of doubt and denial in this regard and it's no wonder this pandemic is dragging on as long as it is. There is barely even a discussion about the merits and detriments of mandatory vaccination here, people are still stuck trying to figure out which direction to go on the number line taped to their desks as they sit there slack-jawed, cross-eyed, drooling on themselves.

Just need to vent a bit, and this seemed as good a place as any to do so, because I saw these figures being trotted out as "positive" in the news for showing that "While cases are rising, hospitalisations are still on a downward trend".

What's off about this picture? Well, I took the liberty of highlighting it.

data.png

So the infection data is almost a week more recent than the hospitalisation figures
What do we know about hospitalisations? They lag behind infections. By about a week. The figures for the 30th of November represent infections on the 23-24th of November. Not from the 6th of December. So if we correct for both the difference in where the data runs up to, and the lag from infection to hospitalisation, that's around two weeks, which we can account for and then overlay the graphs on each other to see the relationship much more clearly, and also to see how much longer it's going to be before we see any potential knock-on effects of this uptick in cases represented in hospitalisation figures.
fullgraph.png

As we see, the lines have a lot of places where they track pretty damn closely, since those hospitalisations are among the people included in those new case figures a week earlier. Most importantly for the purposes of how this was being interpreted by media however, is that the slight uptick at the end of the hospitalisation figures is pretty much concurrent with the first detection of the most recent uptick in cases.

It would sure be nice if it turns out that hospitalisations do not track with cases this time around. But there's certainly no reason to expect it and the data won't be in for weeks, so it's exceptionally irresponsible to suggest the absence of data is indicative of something good.

Ooo another antivaxer attempt!
I love reading about the guys who think Natural Selection is dating someone without implants. Can we beat the bleach enema? Going once... going twice...

SOLD!
The best parts:
Put more simply, the product is dirt — four-and-a-half ounces of it, sealed in a sleek black plastic baggie and sold for $110 plus shipping. Visitors to the Black Oxygen Organics website, recently taken offline, were greeted with a pair of white hands cradling cups of dirt like an offering. “A gift from the Ground,” it reads. “Drink it. Wear it. Bathe in it.

So they're eating mud. That they paid through the nose for. Could be worse.

The BOO product was analyzed for the presence of heavy metals at Ohio State’s Trace Element Research Laboratory. Results from that test were similar to the company’s 2017 certificate, finding two doses per day exceeded Health Canada’s limit for lead, and three doses for daily arsenic amounts.

Aha. :ROFLMAO: Seems the mud comes from a landfill. Only the best, folks. It's called BOO, how can you not trust it?
Sure the FDA banned it, but did that stop you before?
You'll find another way to get your expensive poisonous dirt. Probably by paying more.

intro-1634237597.jpg

It's none of my business.
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jt/2013/370460/ Common brands of teabags contain arsenic too.
I drink maybe 10 cups a day because:
The concentration of arsenic in tea infusions < 0.005to 0.007mg L-1 demonstrated there was almost no transfer from tea leaves metal content to infusion.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom