The Dark Wheel is Seeking help solving a particular mystery...

I thought the UA's where a great bit of content when we first learned about them. They looked menacing, and sounded mysterious and foreboding.

As time went on all people wanted to do was record the sound, shoot them, or hoard them. I thought it was a missed opportunity for the community to build some fan-based fiction around the first real bit of alien content we had.

Everything became a bit too clinical for my liking and no stories were being born out of that whole episode. It just became a frenzy to solve all its mysteries as quickly as possible, and grab the next clue, rinse and repeat.

So that's why a made my own little bit of fiction around them, and wove them into my own personal theory about what they were (which I posted in the Formidine Rift thread). It turned out to be a wrong theory of course, but the idea was to put a story behind it instead of just throwing out there amongst a hundred others that were doing the rounds at the time.

The really sad thing is, there isn't much content in the game to keep making story-based videos now. Youtube is saturated with combat and exploration videos, and there's only so much you can do with them to keep them interesting.

The UA item was unique and deserved a bit of fan fiction to go alongside the real mystery that's behind them, this was my attempt to do just that. The final part (Part 5) is 90% finished but I don't really have the motivation to finsih it off at the moment, and the bit of content I needed to do it will probably not be seen until 1.4 or 1.5 is release (I'd hoped 1.3 would have seen the galaxy fleshed out with new stuff to discover, but we know better now).

Please don't see it as critics to your video. I really like them. They are a real inspiration to keep exploring, even if i know there is not much out there.

The thing that makes me sad is that a HUGE development team like that of frontier is not able to feed us with some breadcrumps. There are so many explorers playing this game - or stopped playing because exploration is becoming relativly boring after some time - that i really cannot understand why they don't just hand-place some little mysteries out in the dark. A starship-wreck-cemetary. Some interesting stellar phenomenons out of the order of normal exploration. Or some kind of event initiated by something like the old game masters in other multiplayer games. Cant be too hard, but something or somebody keeps them from doing that. It's a little bit frustrating.

But enough of that. I don't wan't to derail the thread with whining about missing exploration content. :/

Last edited:
I thought the UA's where a great bit of content when we first learned about them. They looked menacing, and sounded mysterious and foreboding.

As time went on all people wanted to do was record the sound, shoot them, or hoard them. I thought it was a missed opportunity for the community to build some fan-based fiction around the first real bit of alien content we had.

Everything became a bit too clinical for my liking and no stories were being born out of that whole episode. It just became a frenzy to solve all its mysteries as quickly as possible, and grab the next clue, rinse and repeat.

So that's why a made my own little bit of fiction around them, and wove them into my own personal theory about what they were (which I posted in the Formidine Rift thread). It turned out to be a wrong theory of course, but the idea was to put a story behind it instead of just throwing it out there amongst a hundred others that were doing the rounds at the time.

The really sad thing is, there isn't much content of this kind in the game to keep making story-based videos now. Youtube is saturated with combat and exploration videos, and there's only so much you can do with them to keep them interesting.

The UA item was unique and deserved a bit of fan fiction to go alongside the real mystery that's behind them, this was my attempt to do just that. The final part (Part 5) is 90% finished but I don't really have the motivation to finsih it off at the moment, and the bit of content I needed to do it will probably not be seen until 1.4 or 1.5 is released (I'd hoped 1.3 would have seen the galaxy fleshed out with new stuff to discover, but so far its not looking likely).

Have you thought about applying to Frontier as a story or content consultant? The recent Mahddogg Twitch stream featuring Drew and Kate bemoaned the lack of creative input inti the current game lore. Perhaps with this additional sort of imaginative input, however, there may be a chance to make something else of this, if more emergent forms of game narrative don't make themselves apparent.

Have you thought about applying to Frontier as a story or content consultant? The recent Mahddogg Twitch stream featuring Drew and Kate bemoaned the lack of creative input inti the current game lore. Perhaps with this additional sort of imaginative input, however, there may be a chance to make something else of this, if more emergent forms of game narrative don't make themselves apparent.

I think FD want it in-house as even the official authors have been cut out of the loop now as far as I'm aware. So I'm not sure what chance the average player has of having meaningful story input on upcoming events. I suspect it'll be kept retroactive and players will be open to create their stories and fan fiction around stuff FD have previously given us... which won't be too bad once the really interesting content (eg. alien civs etc) is actually there for us to utilize.

I think FD want it in-house as even the official authors have been cut out of the loop now as far as I'm aware. So I'm not sure what chance the average player has of having meaningful story input on upcoming events. I suspect it'll be kept retroactive and players will be open to create their stories and fan fiction around stuff FD have previously given us... which won't be too bad once the really interesting content (eg. alien civs etc) is actually there for us to utilize.

From what we have right now, I think part of the problem, in particular relating to this thread idea and with some of the Galnet stories, is that some players are unsure which is in-house canon, and which originated from unofficial fan creators. Some official guidance may be all that is needed for some, while still allowing space for us to create our own adventures and share and disseminate these adventures onto others. Of course, there is an argument for this confusion to continue, as it all adds to the richness of the player community in any case, even if Frontier don't even run to the ball, let alone catch it and run with it - the latter might even encourage second-guessing of the creators by the followers and wide interpretation of their every actions and inactions, and in the end that's how religions start. ;)

For the record, I believed there was something of importance in this general direction of the Galaxy.

Solj. Rok iq. Qsak tllv sfmb azieg!

Eot qz skaoq oetoafyg rli qse ftebc mvspxrej aka devikd tf Z cxk secp lre wzte qsij ekapamoo.

neii, ehrt txdn'k texe hrra, bgee wfqsolt qep kvy. qelnbs clc tye zellcekdp. :)

i nokapr zf qep mzspfzn ff qep drrh tsevl fp dtzli dzieg lk. t'm fn jv detoka erzp ql ehv floxiuikb cixhq. jlyse f zln yeim hikh plxekhfkr. :)

svnafyg aoy xapcizxeifn plzn. :D

Ok, ill take it back. That was not gibberish after all.

EDIT: well the first bit anyway.

Last edited:
In the Schafaae region, no Thargoids or worse so far.

schafaae region.jpg

Ok, ill take it back. That was not gibberish after all.

EDIT: well the first bit anyway.

What do you mean? I can decipher it without any problems. Removing not needed whitespaces, linefeeds or smilieys might help. :D

Last edited:
Anyone still interested in decoding the message, here are some pointers

Look at the message and see if there are any patterns repeating 'words' e.g. poro. Then count the number of characters between the first letters of the repeating words (don't count spaces). I don't know if the OP wrote the message this way to make it easy to crack, but there are several of them present. (These repeating words may have lead some up the garden path by making it look a bit like a caesar shift, but it is not.)

Then you can look for common factors of those numbers. One of those common factors will be the key length. i.e. poro to poro is 36. Factors of 36 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18 and 36.

From this you can guess what some of the shorter words can be - especially if you've found any where you have two words where one word is just an extra character longer and the other letters are the same. then you will have part of the key, enabling you to decrypt some other letters in the message which will eventually lead you to the key and the full message.

Or, you could just take an educated guess as to what the first three words could be ;-)

Took a secure transport assignment for 2 SAP 8 CORE CONTAINER's to an outpost. Upon delivery got this message:

Tell [Source System] that we expect the analysis and subsequent decryption to be done within the week.
If we learn anything useful we'll send word to [Source System] as soon as we can. Let's hope this time there's a
little more to go on. We still haven't figured out what all those numbers mean.

Will be interesting to see if there will be a word....

Last edited:
Anyone still interested in decoding the message, here are some pointers

Look at the message and see if there are any patterns repeating 'words' e.g. poro. Then count the number of characters between the first letters of the repeating words (don't count spaces). I don't know if the OP wrote the message this way to make it easy to crack, but there are several of them present. (These repeating words may have lead some up the garden path by making it look a bit like a caesar shift, but it is not.)

Then you can look for common factors of those numbers. One of those common factors will be the key length. i.e. poro to poro is 36. Factors of 36 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18 and 36.

From this you can guess what some of the shorter words can be - especially if you've found any where you have two words where one word is just an extra character longer and the other letters are the same. then you will have part of the key, enabling you to decrypt some other letters in the message which will eventually lead you to the key and the full message.

Or, you could just take an educated guess as to what the first three words could be ;-)

The spaces were intentional. The way that I prefer to decipher this particular style is to guess popular words for certain small character words (i.e. - I'll operate on the assumption that a 3 letter word is "the" for instance or "was" or other words like that and then work backwards to partially decode the key). That's the reason for the spaces / punctuation.

Is it even possible for the Dark Wheel faction to become the main faction in the founders world? Last Thursday the Dark Wheel stood at 30% while the Pilots Federation stood at 31%. I'd been watching that system for a while and doing missions for the DW and that's the closest I'd seen the DW ever get to being the major faction at Shrinrata... Alas a few hours later the DW were back down to 11%. Either something dramatic happened or FD shenanigans intervened and adjusted things as the DW aren't supposed to be anything other than a minor entity within the game.

Seems that running missions for the DW was a waste of time in the end when they can lose 19% influence in hours just when they're on the verge of becoming #1. Does anyone know what happened there?

Hello Chaps. Please can someone give me the key to the code please. I'd like to participate without having to mess around with an out of game test set up by another player. I don't have time for that. Nice idea but not for me. Can someone PM the key etc. So those who want to do the test still can have their fun. Thanks chaps.

Last edited:
Have been delivering several "Silent Songs Of The Sphere's", and "Outer Rim" missions I've seen on the board. So far no concrete clues revealed. The missions have been from/to different systems, mainly because I'm chasing CZ's.
Will keep taking the missions.

Is it even possible for the Dark Wheel faction to become the main faction in the founders world? Last Thursday the Dark Wheel stood at 30% while the Pilots Federation stood at 31%. I'd been watching that system for a while and doing missions for the DW and that's the closest I'd seen the DW ever get to being the major faction at Shrinrata... Alas a few hours later the DW were back down to 11%. Either something dramatic happened or FD shenanigans intervened and adjusted things as the DW aren't supposed to be anything other than a minor entity within the game.

Seems that running missions for the DW was a waste of time in the end when they can lose 19% influence in hours just when they're on the verge of becoming #1. Does anyone know what happened there?

Sorry missed that. I have some information from the developers regarding the dark wheel. Just havent got around to reading the email.

Yeah, a week or two after the call for adventure missions started popping up The Dark Wheel were well over 50% and The Pilots Federation were bust. I think Frontier are "force resetting" it as I suspect ranking up with The Dark Wheel was an unplanned side effect from creating such vague missions.

I tried spending a few days interdicting all wanted Dark Wheel ships I could find, but that didn't lead to anything either. I did not try interdicting any non-wanted.

Khxq haj frk. Pvvn qezuxh F elvv zboz eopboteecb fy acl qets timepr jtrcq. Tyip tls r vboj gfoa zsaclbkre woo jp aed F qsaek vlf ffr qep eetboeaznjbyt. Xola wutk lk jolr qolvvlp. Cwy jacb.

Top Bottom