Newcomer / Intro The Dark Wheel *SPOILER* (kinda)

The ingame lore describes TDW as some mystical/unknown association noone knows where to find and gives a hint regarding a certain system which I haven't figured out yet. But I did find TDW as a faction very close/neighbour to Sol (forgot the system name. So my question is, how does that fit into the picture? Should I get friendly with those guys to unveil more of the actual TDW or is that TDW and has changed into something less unknown over the years?

I also sometimes wonder how players are meant to figure out certain things in this game (i.e. Sol permit) without any outside info. The game itself doesn't even explain the most basic stuff about that kind of "goal". While I love the exploration part and finding things by chance, I do wonder how much me and other players will miss out because there simply are no hints whatsoever regarding certain aspects of the game.

There's a community thing to work with TDW if you want to

The ingame lore describes TDW as some mystical/unknown association noone knows where to find and gives a hint regarding a certain system which I haven't figured out yet. But I did find TDW as a faction very close/neighbour to Sol (forgot the system name. So my question is, how does that fit into the picture? Should I get friendly with those guys to unveil more of the actual TDW or is that TDW and has changed into something less unknown over the years?

I also sometimes wonder how players are meant to figure out certain things in this game (i.e. Sol permit) without any outside info. The game itself doesn't even explain the most basic stuff about that kind of "goal". While I love the exploration part and finding things by chance, I do wonder how much me and other players will miss out because there simply are no hints whatsoever regarding certain aspects of the game.
First up, you don’t get lore in-game. What you get is information that is provided to you by in-game entities.

Second, re-read what Farseer says about The Dark Wheel.

Third, see the link @Factabulous posted to see how come that particular faction is where it is.

That won’t answer all of your questions, but that’s rather the point - the answers aren’t known, and people have made and are making various attempts to try and find them out.

Good luck! o7

There's a community thing to work with TDW if you want to

That looks interesting, thank you!

Ok, just to get this straight:
There are novels/novellas about the Elite universe - some of them newer, some older (80's?) - that provide the core lore. Frontier picked (some?) aspects of that lore and intertwined it within the game, i.e. knowledge database or hidden hints in the game universe itself (like the tourist beacons in Sol or site 94, for example). Then, Frontier sometimes starts events (I understand those to be essential points of the BGS or the BGS itself) to further develop threads of the lore (or not) kind of like in that TV show Westworld. Some of that development can be (or can it?) actively manipulated by the players through certain community goals which have effects on the BGS. Did I get that right so far at all?

Then I wonder how player groups like Canonn make it into the game. Does Frontier follow those and at some point consider them so cool/big/important that they implement said groups into the game?

There's an article in the ship's knowledge database on TDW. I understand that to be lore.
Well if you're treating it as lore that your ship's knowledge database has an article on TDW, then yes, that's essentially lore. However, the contents of the article is not strictly lore. It may be an accurate reflection of lore (to a greater or lesser degree,) or it may not be.

Then I wonder how player groups like Canonn make it into the game. Does Frontier follow those and at some point consider them so cool/big/important that they implement said groups into the game?
Player Groups register here:

Once a Player Group is registered if they want a Player Minor Faction, they can apply for them here:

See this forum thread for more info: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/register-for-a-minor-faction.529123/

(Note, PMF applications are currently closed until a problem with them is fixed.)

I understand those to be essential points of the BGS or the BGS itself
What the BGS is, courtesy of Dav Stott from FD on one of the livestreams:

"To us, the whole point of the exercise of all the technical systems in Elite Dangerous that can be branded 'the background simulation' is to try and bring the galaxy to life. It's a really big galaxy, we've got an awfully large number of players, and we need to make sure that the galaxy responds and tracks every single player action, no matter how big or how small."

o7

The Dark Wheel and Raxxla have been my favorite video game rabbit holes so far. It's the biggest thing the kept me playing at first before I really learned ED and not just how to fly my ship. Now it's my squadmates but that's another post

Well if you're treating it as lore that your ship's knowledge database has an article on TDW, then yes, that's essentially lore. However, the contents of the article is not strictly lore. It may be an accurate reflection of lore (to a greater or lesser degree,) or it may not be.
When a game gives me story based context of any kind, I don't know what else to treat it as. Maybe we have a different understanding of lore. Anyhow, thanks a lot for the other helpful replies, it's all pretty interesting.

Top Bottom