Click the DSSA logo to open the DSSA Network tracker
A few months ago we, the FleetComm/Distant Worlds team, have started mulling over what could Carriers bring to exploration. After yesterday's stream, we can say: not much. However, in their current state, Carriers still represent an opportunity to foster new gameplay and community endeavours. Thus we present to you the Deep Space Support Array.
The DSSA is a project to deploy a network of support Carriers all over the galaxy to help explorers in their deep space travels. Those Carriers, offered by individuals, groups, factions or squadrons, would remain in a fixed and public location for at the very least a full year, open to all, with at least repair services, at a fair price (other services are at the owner's liberty). Beacons in the profound night, they would form a mesh of safe harbours for anyone who would need a rest stop.
The Array will have no timeframe for completion. It will also be an opportunity to set up quite a number of flexible community events! Each Carrier deployment will be its own event, from small scale ops near the bubble or Colonia, to extensive long range expeditions to the rims of the Galaxy; from individuals or small friends gang/factions, to fully-fledged Squadron or player groups expeditions, each with its own setup, timeline, motto, insignia, etc. This is an exciting opportunity to tailor events to everyone's needs, preferences or availability, giving new explorers and miners a way to learn the ropes as well as offering hardened veterans a new challenge. Time permitting, Cmdrs could very well partake in more than one such deployment, jumping from one to the other as they end.
Polygon article by our fellow Commander Charlie Hall
• Carriers being crossplatform assets, deployment operations will all be platform agnostic.
• The point is for travelers to know that there is that Carrier there, anytime. Do not sign your Carrier up if you think that mayhaps you'll use for stuff later down the road: those Carriers will have to be stationary.
• Deployment operations would mix exploration (scouting for relevant/pretty/useful/practical locations) and mining (refuelling the thing on the go).
• Deployment operations are completely free to setup as owners wish; FleetComm will welcome any op that wish to use its network, but you are welcome to use your own Discord server/Squadron/whatever. You are only asked to keep the DSSA team up to date on your progress.
• If at some point down the road you want to leave the array, and if you are the only DSSA carrier in the region, we expect you to put in the effort to find a replacement. Said replacement should be in location and operational ideally before you move your own.
• Some of the DSSA carriers will be marked as GMP POIs, depending on their location.
• Visit the #dssa-initiative channel on FleetComm if you wish to discuss the project over there, or give your ideas and suggestions here.
• There is no end to this project. I expect all the currently signed up carriers to keep us busy until early next year, and more will probably join the array in the meantime.
• The project is about deep space, not "famous places". I feel the need to stress this as it seems that many carriers are heading towards locations where many others will eventually station (5 carriers in Odin's Hold is too many, and hardly useful). The Bubble-Colonia-Sagittarius A* connection is the least relevant place to put a DSSA Carrier.
• All the currently signed up DSSA carriers are listed on the DSSA Network tracker. This is a public list of all DSSA Carriers, showing their deployment operation, status, location, destination, services, etc. It's automatically sorted by: 1) Operational Carriers on top; 2) Descending order of preparation/closeness to launch; 3) Descending order of launch date, the closer to [today], the higher.
Additionally, EDAstro has a DSSA Carriers filter on its maps: https://edastro.com/galmap/?layer=regions&pins=DSSAcarriers
Signup is currently on hold, we have over 100 carriers enlisted.
Signing up. By signing up you agree to the following rules:
• You need to deposit in your carrier bank enough funds to guarantee the upkeep for the entire operational time you stated in your Form.
• For as long as you state in your Form, your Carrier will be fixed. No taking it for a stroll for a couple days.
• Naming convention: the carrier's name must fit the spirit of the game; even more so if you wish your carrier to become a GMP POI. No profanity, political, sexual, religious, etc. innuendos or explicit references.
To sign up, please fill the following Form. The Form is editable, so:
• SAVE YOUR EDIT LINK!! (it is not the webpage URL at the end of the form, it's the blue link that says "Edit your responses" — save that link to come back, change info, etc.)*
• You don't have to answer the questions you don't have the answer to, no need to put "N/A" or "TBA" or "I think I'll blablabla". When you know, you can fill the blanks.
This Form is your form and will be used to update the status of your deployment expedition/operation and your Carrier info.
*Turns out I have a way to get your Edit Responses URL so not everything is lost if you lose it.
I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DISCARD ANY AND ALL SIGNUPS THAT I WILL DEEM UNNECESSARY, that is, mainly carriers cluttering beaten paths instead of spreading out in deep space. If you come here because you want traffic on your carrier, you've come to the wrong place.
We settled on a MAXIMUM OF 3 CARRIERS PER REGION. Overflow signups will be put on a reserve list, according to signup date.
Also please make sure we can REACH YOU. If you're not on the forums or a Discord server I'm in, it may make things difficult to coordinate, and I may end up discarding your signup if something comes up. leaving my email here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help you prepare
You can use the Carrier Travel & Equipment cheat sheet v1.5 I'm putting together. To use it, go to File > Make a copy or request access; input your numbers in the yellow cells, numbers are the new, revised ones (prices and fuel efficiency).
Map of the galactic regions and the signups as of today (May 13) Green carrier icons are the currently signed up carriers, not the limit of carriers per region
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Group mining sessions
I've been asked about organizing group mining sessions to lessen the grind and advise non-specialist miners. I have nothing planned on that front, moreover I'm still working and generally not much available; however I'll gladly help out (and participate whenever I can play) if some people wish to step up. Remember the material gathering sessions we had before DW2, something like that I suppose. You're welcome to coordinate here or in FleetComm, it think that'll benefit everybody.
Logos for media/repost/videos:
Black | White | Grey
50px | 70px
See you in the black, Cmdrs o7
Click to DL full size file