The Difference Between Interspecies Bonus and Just Living Together

I thought it was worth pointing this out since there are some users who do seem confused by the subject;

These are two different concepts. Interspecies Bonus refers to an enrichment welfare bonus two or more species receive when they are in a mixed habitat together. This is the information you'll find in the Zoopedia, but that is all it shows. There are, however, mixes that can work but simply don't get an enrichment bonus.

Recently one or two have been asking about the warthog and white rhinoceros. In this case, you can quite easily put them both in the same habitat. It doesn't cause any problems at all! The only difference between the warthog/rhino mix and, say, the rhino/nyala mix is that in the latter case both species get an enrichment welfare bonus, whereas in the former case they do not. The same thing applies to many different species. You can, for example, mix bongo in with okapi, or peafowl in with Indian rhinos, or any herbivores with elephants, without causing any problems - they just don't get a welfare boost from it.

The interspecies bonus mixes displayed on the Zoopedia are not the only mixes you can do, they are just the ones that actually have an additional positive buff attached to them.

There are also quite a few other mixes you can do. I use this spreadsheet that tells you what animals can safely live with other animals, some with just a few modifications. For instance, I have King Penguins with Gray Seals. The only modifications needed is that they do have plant differences, meaning one species may not tolerate a plant the other can have. However, neither species really require plants at all.

Unfortunately, this listing is not up-to-date with the newest dlc's but does have the majority of animals included.

Top Bottom