Dinosaurs The dreadnoughtus needs to be scaled up

even though it wasn't confirmed it pretty much teas that this dinosaur might make it into Jurassic World 3 among the many new dinosaurs that will probably make an appearance in the sixth film, check this out........
Source: https://youtu.be/rsyMpg2AJHs
Yes, but Klayton Fioiti's videos of this kind usually talk a lot about excessive fan-ish details such as theories, "fancruft" views, trivia, etc., which is why I don't really like watching his videos for JP franchise information, even though he covers almost all valid pieces of actual information. I'm sorry.

Most of what he says in that video about the Dreadnoughtus is just mere speculation, trivia and hopes, nothing more.

Last edited:
That's true @gabeluna27. The last time size alterations happened in this game was in update 1.4. It was a big change but I also noted from the developer livestream that it was a really big effort on the team, I recalled that they stressed how difficult it was to make the change due to animations, modeling, skin artwork upscale, and much more.

Honestly, it was a major reason why I held off this idea for so long, but I still at the very least wish to voice it out. The new dinosaur was designed to be the largest in the game, and I only wish to see their vision come true. It just does not really meet expectations they placed in the ingen database, the official website, and the tour calling her the largest animal to have ever walked the earth. Giving it the title of the largest land animal to ever walk the earth would invite players to compare the titanosaur to the other large dinosaurs, the brachiosaurus and mamenchisaurus. As it is, it does feel underwhelming, but I only wish for one more upsize, for this dinosaur, so that it captures that niche of the largest organism in the game rather well. Which is why I am so thankful of the number of members who liked this thread and voice out their thoughts as well, it shows that it is not a thought I experience alone.

One note I do want to add is that the Jurassic World Evolution wiki has included the ingame scales of each dinosaur in their height and length just recently. I wish to showcase how their sizes are described in the ingen database and how they are in the game.

In the ingen database, these are the data of the 3 largest dinosaurs in the game:

Brachiosaurus
Height 6.4m, length 18.8m, 55 tons

Mamenchisaurus
Height 5.7m length 26.0m, 70 tons

Dreadnoughtus
Height 6.0m length 26.0m, 65.4 tons

It is safe to assume that the heights that are registered in the game are the height of the dinosaur's shoulders in respect to the ground.

Here are the ingame data of the 3 largest dinosaurs in the Jurassic World Evolution Wiki:

Brachiosaurus
Height 16.11m, length 18.77m, 55 tons

Mamenchisaurus
Height 16.46m length 26.03m, 70 tons

Dreadnoughtus
Height 15.82m length 18.58m, 65.4 tons
(edited Oct 4th, I accidentally written 18.85m for the dreadnoughtus' actual length).

These results are how they are seen in the game. I know for a fact that the INGEN database data would not always correlate to the ingame models of the dinosaurs, but I wish to use it in this case as the lengths of the brachiosaurus and mamenchisaurus are accurate to their ingame models, so it is best to have the dreadnoughtus be similar to the mamenchisaurus when compared to their lengths.

I will post a recent photo I made of their scales to showcase how the scaling should work:

The length of these dinosaurs are based on their ingame base models. Which are obviously different depending on the actual length as the models will either be vertical like the brachiosaurus, or more horizontal like the mamenchisaurus.

The truth is, that if the dreadnoughtus were to be scaled up to the length of 26.0m with it's vertically posed base model, she would be too big to work in the game. This would make her nearly 40% bigger than her current model! This is too big, as it would clash with the incubation door, ingame gates, and monorail tracks as shown in the first post of this thread. Which showcases why it would make sense to downscale the dreadnoughtus from her actual length by nearly 8 meters. However, this downscale a bit too much and there is evidence that could push her scale up a bit more so that she could be imposing in size but not be game breaking in technicalities.

The first is the pose of the mamenchisaurus. Despite her base model having a more horizontal look, she has a more vertical ingame pose so that she could fit within the incubation lab, and reach the feeders in the game without taking much room in terms of length. With that in mind, lets compare the dreadnoughtus to the mamenchisaurus, not from their head to the tip of the tail, but from the front legs to the tip of the tail. This area is an area mostly unaffected by the change of poses these dinosaurs would alter within the game.

Having the dreadnoughtus scaled up by roughly 15% would make her new length 21.37 meters and her new height 18.19 meters. And if we were to visually see the dreadnoughtus turn its neck angle to match that of the mamenchisaurus, she is only ever shorter in length to the mamenchisaurus by roughly 2 meters. This is great as this dinosaur could have a more imposing size as its niche thanks to her more muscular anatomy, while the mamenchisaurus is still the queen of the long necked sauropods and would still be taller looking than the dreadnoughtus.

Overall, I wish to have the new size be a compromise of having the dreadnoughtus be the largest in the game while still respecting the ingame mechanics they have placed. Just recently they have released the newest smallest dinosaur, the homalocephale, and that was super awesome as it tested the limits the game has by how small a dinosaur could be. I wish to have the dreadnoughtus be the dinosaur that pushes the limits of the largest dinosaur as there is still room for growth and the potential is there. I do hope this makes sense and I thank everyone reading and staying up to date with this thread.

Last edited:
I recently realized that the power lines from pylons are lower than the rails of the monorail. I had a feeling this would be a problem to the overall new height of the dreadnoughtus, so I decided to test out the lowest point the wires of the pylons would be. Surprisingly, the lowest point of a pylon's wire (the trough for a lack of a better term) is almost touching the top of the tall herbivore feeder, a point possible if you stretch out the pylons as far apart from each other as possible.

This is interesting as I did recall the mamenchisaurus is notably taller than the tall herbivore feeder. So I went ahead to take comparison photos of the mamenchisaurus next to a feeder underneath the pylon wiring and monorail, and the dreadnoughtus with the proposed upscale in the same setup.

(I tried to make the camera shots of the two dinosaurs as close as possible. I feel like I could do better but I would wish for you all to compare the dinosaurs to the pylon wiring.)

Astonishingly, the mamenchisaurus is actually tall enough to collide with the wiring due to her tall posture, I was surprised to not notice this sooner. This does alleviate an issue I had with the upscaled dreadnoughtus. The encounter rate of the mamenchisaurus to pylon wiring is pretty low in standard gameplay unless you make a scenario similar to what I did. This would mean that the possibility of an upscaled dreadnoughtus is more possible in a calculated sense, and this does depend if the game could handle such a scale, which it does so with the mamenchisaurus. It is an interesting situation with dinosaur scaling: where homalocephale would be fully submerged when running through water, the mamenchisaurus would have a hard time doing the limbo to the pylon wiring. I do not think this diminishes the quality of either dinosaur as it is just nature of pushing limitations to dinosaur sizing in either direction. Likewise, both the dreadnoughtus and mamenchisaurus would lower their heads closer to the ground when they begin moving, so the wiring would be less on an issue altogether.

I do hope that these experiments continue to illustrate how the dread could be upscaled to match her position and be respectable to the ingame limitations. I genuinely think I
did all that I could to test out the limitations and plausibility of upscaling the titanosaur. Allowing the dreadnoughtus to be similar in scale to the mamenchisaurus as opposed to the brachiosaurus would benefit this creature as her ingen database showcases a shared length and similar weight between the two dinosaurs. It is fun to work on this experiment as I get to see how the limitations of game mechanics would work in JWE, and I again hope that this thread has been useful to you all.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if either dinosaur clipped through the wiring, because I know the wiring already clips throw buildings. My desire for a bigger Dreadnoughtus outweighs my concern of clipping. Plus as you alluded to, we would probably never see it happen anyways.

Last edited:
With the newfound data a week ago of the pylons cables not being a major factor to the limitations of the dinosaur scaling, I was thinking if I could scale up the dreadnoughtus further. The only reasoning is how it shares the same length as the mamenchisaurus in terms of length. With the previous size proposal of 15% allowing for the mamenchisaurus to be taller than the dreadnoughtus, I was thinking if I could push that limit further by a few more meters so that we could see if it is possible to have the dreadnoughtus share the same length as the base model mamenchisaurus.

I went to the original picture of the dreadnoughtus leaving the incubation lab and scaled up the dinosaur to the most possible size with little to no possible clipping of her leaving the incubation lab. Surprisingly she could go up to 20% her original size!

I wanted to push the limit further with this. To see if we could have fun having a potential largest animal in the game. At the same time, I want to respect the limitaion and ingen database of the titanosaur. So I took up the grid to see how she scales up in comparison to the brachiosaurus.

The new dreadnoughtus scale has been increased notably!

Here are her stats in current, 15%, and 20% upscaled sizes.

Current Scale:
Height: 15.82 meters
Length: 18.58 meters

15% Upscale:
Height: 18.193 meters
Length: 21.367 meters

20% Upscale:
Height: 18.984 meters
Length: 22.296 meters

The new size is not that far from the previously proposed 15%, however it does complement the dinosaur's scale in terms of its title of largest land animal in the game. Of course, I also want to see how the 20% scaled up version would match with the mamenchisaurus. To which I made a mockup of the 20% upscaled dreadnoughtus with the mamenchisaurus base model pose.

The dreadnoughtus is noticeably the same length as the mamenchisaurus, the difference is that the dreadnoughtus has a tail length slightly longer than the mamenchisaurus by roughly half a meter. I also do notice that the dreadnoughtus would still have a similar front to back leg distance when compared to the mamenchisaurus, so it is theoretically still possible to have the dreadnoughtus walk out of the gate and still interact with all forms of interactable animations such as eating, drinking, gates, indominus rex fatality.

This is really interesting and would be really exciting if the dreadnoughtus could get the upscale. I do want to note as a disclaimer that all of these samples are done with photos, photoshop, and mathematics. I could not guarantee that 20% would be small enough to leave the hatchery, but I do have a strong theory that the dreadnoughtus could still be scaled up. The 20% upscale would be similar in length of 26 meters the mamenchisaurus has, however, her bulky appearance would make her look heavier than the 70 ton mamenchisaurus. To which if weight is not a concern and "the largest land animal to have walked the earth" is a priority, the upscale should be closer to 20%. But if weight is a concern, then the dreadnoughtus has to be closer to the 15% upscale so that she would be closer to her 65.4 ton weight to the 70 ton mamenchisaurus. I would personally love it if she was closer to the 20% upscale as it would be in line with her title name and push the limits the game has to produce the largest animal it could maintain, but I could understand otherwise.

Last edited:
Admittedly, this isn't the first time people have done research or used photoshop to support their ideas. But you, by far, have probably done it the most. I admire your dedication to this idea as well as anyone else still keeping up with this forum. It goes to show how much we want this idea to get implemented. When I posted the original thread regarding redesigning or upsizing the Dreadnoughtus almost a year ago, I didn't think we'd still be talking about it to this day. I really hope Frontier has taken notice of your work!

DreadBrachSize.jpg

Dreadsizeincrease.jpg

I feel that this post should be active again with the new Return to Jurassic Park DLC in mind.
With the new DLC and skins, comparing the 2001 skin with the Dreadnoughtus looks like a comparison between Argyrosaurus compared and Superposeidon.
Even the old Brachiosaurus is bigger, both in shoulder height and width. The body alone of the 2001 Brachiosaurus is twice the Dreads size. (See first picture)
The info states that the Dread weight 65 tons and the Brachiosaurus 55 tons (could be explained or theorized that its skeleton is lighter etc but it's unlikely.)
The new brachiosaurus, however (if you own the DLC but it's still a canon dinosaur) is way above that with its thick body, tail and neck.
Even with a 15% upscale (picture above with red as the current size) the Dreadnoughtus would be in par or smaller than the Brach, which proves something.

I think it should be back on the list to consider a size increase for the Dreadnoughtus by at least 10 - 15%.
The Cretaceous DLC was released Dec 13 2018 but it's still one of my the best DLC's with 3 terrific additions to the game. However, every time I release a Dreadnoughtus next to a Brachiosaurus I can't help but feel that it falls a bit short, literally.

Attachments

• DreadBrachSize.jpg
    DreadBrachSize.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 369
  • DreadBrachSizetopview.jpg
    DreadBrachSizetopview.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 327
  • DreadBrachSizetrip.jpg
    DreadBrachSizetrip.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
I agree with keeping the 2001 skins in mind. I do not know how heavy those are in comparison to the 1993 version, but it makes the dreadnoughtus still appear smaller.

On a note, the game's ingen database of the brachiosaurus has been updated to be 60 tonnes in mass. With a 5 ton mass difference and the dread still being labeled as 26 meters long, I still think that the titanosaur could still do with an update in size. I think the range should be at least 15% of an upscale to help make it stand out from the brachiosaurus base model.

From what I can tell, I’d like Fontier to upscale 2 dinosaurs: Dreadnoughtus and Edmontosaurus. I’d like Frontier to upscale the Dreadnoughtus to be slightly bigger and taller than Mamenchisaurus, and to upscale the Edmontosaurus to be nearly as big as T-Rex.

With the newfound data a week ago of the pylons cables not being a major factor to the limitations of the dinosaur scaling, I was thinking if I could scale up the dreadnoughtus further. The only reasoning is how it shares the same length as the mamenchisaurus in terms of length. With the previous size proposal of 15% allowing for the mamenchisaurus to be taller than the dreadnoughtus, I was thinking if I could push that limit further by a few more meters so that we could see if it is possible to have the dreadnoughtus share the same length as the base model mamenchisaurus.

I went to the original picture of the dreadnoughtus leaving the incubation lab and scaled up the dinosaur to the most possible size with little to no possible clipping of her leaving the incubation lab. Surprisingly she could go up to 20% her original size!

View attachment 146935
View attachment 146936

I wanted to push the limit further with this. To see if we could have fun having a potential largest animal in the game. At the same time, I want to respect the limitaion and ingen database of the titanosaur. So I took up the grid to see how she scales up in comparison to the brachiosaurus.

View attachment 146939

The new dreadnoughtus scale has been increased notably!

Here are her stats in current, 15%, and 20% upscaled sizes.

Current Scale:
Height: 15.82 meters
Length: 18.58 meters

15% Upscale:
Height: 18.193 meters
Length: 21.367 meters

20% Upscale:
Height: 18.984 meters
Length: 22.296 meters

The new size is not that far from the previously proposed 15%, however it does complement the dinosaur's scale in terms of its title of largest land animal in the game. Of course, I also want to see how the 20% scaled up version would match with the mamenchisaurus. To which I made a mockup of the 20% upscaled dreadnoughtus with the mamenchisaurus base model pose.

View attachment 146953

The dreadnoughtus is noticeably the same length as the mamenchisaurus, the difference is that the dreadnoughtus has a tail length slightly longer than the mamenchisaurus by roughly half a meter. I also do notice that the dreadnoughtus would still have a similar front to back leg distance when compared to the mamenchisaurus, so it is theoretically still possible to have the dreadnoughtus walk out of the gate and still interact with all forms of interactable animations such as eating, drinking, gates, indominus rex fatality.

This is really interesting and would be really exciting if the dreadnoughtus could get the upscale. I do want to note as a disclaimer that all of these samples are done with photos, photoshop, and mathematics. I could not guarantee that 20% would be small enough to leave the hatchery, but I do have a strong theory that the dreadnoughtus could still be scaled up. The 20% upscale would be similar in length of 26 meters the mamenchisaurus has, however, her bulky appearance would make her look heavier than the 70 ton mamenchisaurus. To which if weight is not a concern and "the largest land animal to have walked the earth" is a priority, the upscale should be closer to 20%. But if weight is a concern, then the dreadnoughtus has to be closer to the 15% upscale so that she would be closer to her 65.4 ton weight to the 70 ton mamenchisaurus. I would personally love it if she was closer to the 20% upscale as it would be in line with her title name and push the limits the game has to produce the largest animal it could maintain, but I could understand otherwise.
Actually, the 20% upscale is fine. Although I’d crank the size upscale to at least 23%.

Top Bottom