The Empire has an image problem.

We've seen it happen again and again; a community goal occurs, pitting the Empire against the Federation, only for the Federation to get twice or more the number of supporters compared to the Empire.

It's understandable why; people see the Federation, and they imagine United Federation of planets, from Star Trek; a peaceful Coalition, rather than the capitalistic oligarchy it truly is. They see the Empire, and they envisioned Caesar's Legion from Fallout, rather than the much more complicated thing it truly is.

It seems self-evident that the Empire has a serious image problem. To make this even worse, the Corvette and other Federation ships are generally much more fun ships to own than the Imperial options, which serve much more stylistic or utilitarian purposes.

How can you fix this? In the past, things have been balanced by setting different goals for the opposing sides, but that ends up feeling unfair to one side, and even to the Empire, feels needlessly biased.

But how can this be fixed? Better rewards for the Empire side? Perhaps the Empire needs to invest its resources into improving it's somewhat subpar ships, to give them a better Fighting Chance in the conflicts they seem eager to enter.

One way or another, things can't keep going this way forever. When civilizations have everything against them, as romantic as it may be for them to continue fighting on, they tend to collapse instead, and that leaves us with a smaller and less interesting universe.

I sure hope we see new and better means of getting people behind them in the near future; not just for their sake, but for the sake of the game as a whole.

It doesn't help when this guy is your leader ....

iu

Oh, this isn't about Star Wars ... meesa sorry :p

The empire will die. Slowly. One ship at a time. Thermal weapons only. Non penetrating. I've had imperial bbq in Deciat all night long. Only the noble ganker seems to have any interest at all in my murder spree.

(Side Note)
This is exactly how "refined" the crime and punishment system is. As soon as I build up a truly sizable bounty on a ship; I stop running and allow the friendly ganker to collect a massive bounty. Making friends is noice! The imps then put me in jail where (miracle of miracles) they LET ME transfer a clean ship to the detention facility and then.....
You guessed it: go right back and do again. And again. And again.

The empire will die.

Dear Cmdrs,

As a king in the Empire, I thoroughly object to this conversation.

As an Admiral in the Federal Navy, I thoroughly approve of this conversation.

Do you think it is possible to federalise the Empire?

Toodly Pipsky

I'm fine with integration so long as all current slave owners are sent to work in the mines as a concession.

Indentured servitude is not a good approach to debt management.
add to that, that it might be complicated to rebrand aggression, capturing, purging and "cleansing" (how patreus puts it) as bringing freedom.

(anybody read Pelewins Novel The Dialectics of the Transition Period (from Nowhere to No Place) ? IRRC there is a guy doing that kind of PR in it.)

The empire will die. Slowly. One ship at a time. Thermal weapons only. Non penetrating. I've had imperial bbq in Deciat all night long. Only the noble ganker seems to have any interest at all in my murder spree.

(Side Note)
This is exactly how "refined" the crime and punishment system is. As soon as I build up a truly sizable bounty on a ship; I stop running and allow the friendly ganker to collect a massive bounty. Making friends is noice! The imps then put me in jail where (miracle of miracles) they LET ME transfer a clean ship to the detention facility and then.....
You guessed it: go right back and do again. And again. And again.

The empire will die.
Funny. The same thing happens with the Feds... :unsure:

Dear Cmdrs,

As a king in the Empire, I thoroughly object to this conversation.

As an Admiral in the Federal Navy, I thoroughly approve of this conversation.

Do you think it is possible to federalise the Empire?

Toodly Pipsky
I was rather wondering whether Federation and Empire could form Alliance?

You haven't been keeping up. She isn't the emperor. She isn't even a senator. She's CEO of a charity corp with a slightly less goofy name than the one she originally had that merged with it.

Image is one thing, looking beneath the surface is another.

People who think the Imps are the bad guys and the Feds are the good guys give me a chuckle. There's poo stains on both sides. It's about the Powers, not the Federation or the Empire.

Basically what I'm saying is Zarchary Hudson and Zemina Torval should get married.

You haven't been keeping up. She isn't the emperor. She isn't even a senator. She's CEO of a charity corp with a slightly less goofy name than the one she originally had that merged with it.

And yet she seems to be on the ascendancy, brokering peace with an Imp faction, looking reasonable while ALD gets heavy handed and gets Patty to shoot people in the face.

Team ALD is rattled and looks weak.

Top Bottom