The End?

@Old Duck, it would have to be the most incredible, evolving game there's ever been or ever will be to keep everyone playing forever.

Everyone is likely to move on eventually, but hopefully FD will eventually add atmospheric landings, space legs, etc. to keep attracting old hands back.

I don't play as much as I used to, but I still keep coming back and I've never played a game as much as this one, so even if I stopped playing right now I'd likely always consider ED the best game I've ever played. Like you, I've certainly had my best gaming memories in Elite.

Anyway, I hope you keep hanging around the forums Old Duck, as I enjoy your posts - fly safe Cmdr (whatever game you play).

When I played the '84 I dreamed of seeing inside a station. My wish is now granted. I dreamed of missions galore. My wish is now granted. I contemplated how good the game might be if I played with my mates. Just finished a wing mission with my mate. Exceptional. What was your issue again? For the umpteenth time. Chess is still here after 1000s years, why do you think that is? Why do you think the 'faithful' kept the dream alive. Not for you lot of entitled winkers that's for sure

Last edited:
Now imagine if Frontier gave us community goals to flip a system using whatever BGS-flipping tools we want, or a community goal to circumnavigate a planet in an SRV. That would allow us "casuals" to participate in events like these without having to hire a personal secretary to organize our online appointments with Inara, Discord, in-game meetups, etc.

Why do you need third party apps to partake in CG's?

Pray do tell because the only things I've needed at CG's is cargo racks or big guns.

Also, definatly a casual.

Chess is still here after 1000s years
Ignoring the rest and focusing on this, Overwatch is my chess equivalent when it comes to video games. Like chess, it has very well defined rules, "pieces", and strategy. Also like chess, it's relatively quick to learn but takes a life long time to master. Overwatch has a limited number of maps and game modes by default, but every game I play is different and requires a different strategy based on team composition and the play styles of both my team and the opposing team. It is a game that keeps drawing me back again and again.

Now there's obviously a reflex-based FPS aspect to the game, but more often than not it's strategy that wins the day. Still, a weaker character can beat a more powerful character if the player behind the weaker character is more experienced. This too adds to the game, because part of playing is assessing just how good the different opponents (and teammates for that matter) are with the characters they are playing. So I suppose Overwatch is more like the old game Archon, another favorite of mine from the 1980s.

Though let's be real - neither Overwatch nor Elite will be remembered like chess 1000 years from now. At least Overwatch has a strong eSports presence, something ED lacks. (Having said that, I'd enjoy watching professional, organized PvP in ED if it ever did become an eSport.)

As many of you know by some of my other threads, because of some thieves, I've had to replace my video game device. This time I've decided to switch from console to PC. Though I bought ED from Steam and downloaded it, I've yet to do anything except start the game and by choice quit when I got it to the point of establishing an FID number and the beginning tutorials. At that point, though I knew that one can only transfer their net worth from the game to another format, which I had already done when I switched from a PS4 to an Xbox One X; I sent an request to Fdev asking for another transfer of my net worth based on the hardship of having my previous device stolen. Received a response in which Fdev understood my predicament, apologized and basically said that their hands were tied and sorry, a transfer can only be done once. Thus because I have to start from the very beginning just as a complete noob. I shall not be continuing to play until...? Which for me, unlike those that have supposedly quit, means I'll not be corresponding with Y'all on this forum until such time as I do start playing again. THANKS for any and all assistance to those whom have earned it over the years. I'll be back, but until then; See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

Which for me, unlike those that have supposedly quit, means I'll not be corresponding with Y'all on this forum until such time as I do start playing again. THANKS for any and all assistance to those whom have earned it over the years. I'll be back, but until then; See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.
I'm going to miss you, Nemo. Just like my best memories of the game are from those early days when it first released on PS4, my best memories of the forum are from those early days as well. You're one of kind, old man! Cheers :D

I think the problem here is when players solely concentrate on the one game and devour the content faster than the company's can churn out new content. I have just had that with Star Trek online after 8 years of playing solid and have now made the switch to ED so i don't think i will be having that issue any time soon now i have made the switch to here but i can fully sympathize with your predicament and it must suck when you love a game that much but it simply doesn't offer the reasons you loved the game in the first place. It might be best if you spread your gaming across more than one game as to not ending up as you have. I wish you luck in what ever adventure you take up next but i am sure you will be back once more updates and content gets released in the future.

I have not logged on in several weeks, or maybe it has been a month, not sure. Funny thing is my wife asked me yesterday why I was not playing my "space flying" game and if my squadron misses me. I then thought about maybe logging on, but did something else. I will eventually log on again, probably sometime this fall or winter. It is my pattern, play for 6 months, take a break for 6 months.

OP, I get where you're coming from. I haven't been playing much lately. At first, I thought it was that I just needed a break after all the travel I did in Distant Worlds 2. However, as time passes, I'm still not playing that much. A little here, a little there... but no real drive to play. I think I knew it was something more when I realized I wasn't thinking about the game that much (when not playing it), not all that interested in the forums, upcoming news, etc.

I'm certainly not done with the game and will continue to play sporadically. I'm not mad at the developers or ranting about the lack of content this year. Honestly, I'm fine with them focusing on improving the new player experience and introducing other Quality of Life enhancements to the game. The ARX system sounds ok and I like the ability to earn credit towards cosmetics in the game. I'd just rather be spending my time playing something else right now.

Overwatch is neat, but I couldn't really get into it. Been busy dabbling with other games like Far Cry 5, Star Control Origins (now that the lawsuit has been amicably settled between all parties), and the recently resurrected City of Heroes. We all need breaks from time to time.

I know I'm not done with this game because I still love the universe and I do keep thinking of ideas to use in the Elite Dangerous RPG... whenever I get around to actually running my campaign.

I look forward to whatever FDEV is working on for release in 2020. While I do have some gripes about some of the stuff they've done (e.g. issues with Thargoid content), that isn't why I've lost interest.

Anyway, enjoy your break.

I think the problem here is when players solely concentrate on the one game and devour the content faster than the company's can churn out new content. I have just had that with Star Trek online after 8 years of playing solid and have now made the switch to ED so i don't think i will be having that issue any time soon now i have made the switch to here but i can fully sympathize with your predicament and it must suck when you love a game that much but it simply doesn't offer the reasons you loved the game in the first place. It might be best if you spread your gaming across more than one game as to not ending up as you have. I wish you luck in what ever adventure you take up next but i am sure you will be back once more updates and content gets released in the future.

There's a lot of truth in that, from my perspective. But, Elite Dangerous is really the only game I'm interested in playing and I've been playing it from day one of release in 2014 on the PC, although I did take a break for 14 months for Skyrim SE and Zelda BotW.

Here's a question. As I don't play any other MMO's, is the development slow for this game in comparison to others? If you look at it, the last proper DLC we had for this was 2015 - 2016 and it's not going to be 2020 until we get more fully paid content. Is this normal? From what I've seen (which is hugely limited) it isn't. Genuine question.

Same here, but that's the thing - I've been on hiatus for months now, playing other games instead. I recently hit my burnout in Overwatch (happens every time I binge that game), which historically has been a good time to come back to Elite for a change of pace. But this time, unlike previous times, I just can't get back into it. This time is different...
Similar to me. I still post here because I still want to love the game, but I think for me some of why i used to play so often was because of what i genuinely thought was still to come, so i was playing for what would be, not what the game was if that makes sense.
That stuff i am finally accepting just does not seem to be on the road map (please 2020 prove me wrong). Combine that with what i did love about the game, much of that is now gone. i used to enjoy the grind for credits and saving up for the next big thing... that does not happen now, and i am just not that invested in engineering etc.

I have had a lot of enjoyment in the game, the 1st 6 months ingame is the best gaming i have ever experienced, and for me that is not an exageration (even if with hindsite a lot of that was me filling in the blanks with excitement for future updates)

I still pop back ingame from time to time, the VR implementation is still amazing............... but unless there is a huge update in a direction i am interested in, i doubt my 1800ish hrs in the game will get to 2000. I would say the game has been pretty much evolving at a crawl since mid 2016 and that is not fast enough imo for a game like this.

look at how NMS (a joke at launch) has come on, or even games like ESO.... (definitely not my bag but a boon for those who like it).....
I know people swear it is not the case but to me ED looks like a game that FD have had skeleton staff working on it for too long.

Last edited:
There's a lot of truth in that, from my perspective. But, Elite Dangerous is really the only game I'm interested in playing and I've been playing it from day one of release in 2014 on the PC, although I did take a break for 14 months for Skyrim SE and Zelda BotW.

Here's a question. As I don't play any other MMO's, is the development slow for this game in comparison to others? If you look at it, the last proper DLC we had for this was 2015 - 2016 and it's not going to be 2020 until we get more fully paid content. Is this normal? From what I've seen (which is hugely limited) it isn't. Genuine question.
From what i can see ED is pretty slow with major content to other games that i have played like Star Trek Online and i can only comment on them but even that can be slow to release major content. I don't know why Frontier takes so long to release major updates but that might be because their updates and more like major expansion packs rather than just monthly or quarterly events. I also suppose it depends on what part of the community groups you stand with as well because if you come to ED for Trading and Exploration plus passenger runs or even role play you are never going to run out of places and things to do to find and explore or places to take passengers or RP senerios to create but if you want more of the story driven content and major battles and enemy's to defend against then you are going to always have that thin at the edges compaired to other play styles as mentioned before because of the way FD release their content . Well i hope you just bare with ED and maybe try another game to get that fufilment back and then when the time is right and new content gets released you will come back and get the content and direction change you hoped for. In till then i wish you all the best and hope you find something that you enjoy as much as you enjoyed ED in the past. Bows

Top Bottom