The End?

get yourself a new commander (cheap in the sale), start with a sidewinder and make yourself a new plan. mine is to A grade the winder and give some grief to the griefers.

get yourself a new commander (cheap in the sale), start with a sidewinder and make yourself a new plan. mine is to A grade the winder and give some grief to the griefers.
It's possible for me to do the same by clean-saving my alt account. That is a possibility, should I want to start over again. I'm not giving up my main accounts progress.

I have used my original launch account and only that until recently. Having a hoot with the new cmdr. Would never give up my first cmdr.

It's over for me too all of a sudden... because my laptop started to get slow and acting up last week, and after trying to fix it, it now is crashing to black screen when I play Elite. Reinstall here I come... :/

Heat. Clean the fan & vents.
Could be, but it started after I did some updates of drivers.

Basically, I will do everything. Repair windows, reinstall apps, clean fans, ... and hopefully it works. (Sounds like I'm fixing the house! :D)

Last edited:
I sit at work on compooters all day. I have developed a boredom for them so deep that I find myself unable to bother with mine. Its my last PC probably. I'll stick with my macbook only from this point onwards, just for banking and all those other things you must have a compooter for thesedays. I just find more fullfilment from a novel, or riding my bike. Although the latter is so modern that too is bothering me. May swap it for a vintage bike I can fettle. I cant fettle my current bike, its too perfect, complex and too electronic.

The whole social media drama passed me by too, its like a modern CB radio to me. I dont do any of it. Ye 10-4 and all that.

Im still on an old iphone 6 and wont bother with that either. Ive still got a 3310 in drawer.

I feel like Im rejecting modernity and looking nostalgicly back to a more analogue existence where things were probably not as rosey as I imagine them to have been, but it is still an attraction. I feel saturated with things of little or no substance in the digital world. Its shallow, trite and a distraction. No, Im not going all Amish. Just stepping back.

A recent holiday with no connectivity on sea side made up my mind. I took the time to look and smell and listen and found I really enjoyed it. It was a release.

Ive lived through the birth of the internet, top loading cassette players and now a digital superficial world. I reject it all.

<No> PC games with a novel, iphone for a written letter. I enjoy writing a letter. I wrote to my friend recently, he texted me back.

It is a strange old world we find ourselves in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although the latter is so modern that too is bothering me. May swap it for a vintage bike I can fettle. I cant fettle my current bike, its too perfect, complex and too electronic.

I got an SV1000 and am in the process of some serious fettling. It’s a good way to spend a weekend

I guess the lesson here is,if graphical fidelity and performance are your bag don’t pick the least capable hardware.
LOL, nice grade school insult. Funny how I'm enjoying amazing graphic fidelity and performance in my other games on my PS4. Not to mention my intro to the OP - "Let's put aside bugs and shadows and elephant butt leather for a moment and focus just on the game itself. I fired up Elite Dangerous after a few months on hiatus, did some things, and then exited with the thought, 'I think I really am done with the game...' It just doesn't 'scratch the itch' like it used to."

So no, I'm not going to buy a gaming PC just so I can have decent shadows and godrays, something that Red Dead Redemption 2 and dozens of other games manage to pull off using my 'least capable hardware'.

Last edited:
I sit at work on compooters all day. I have developed a boredom for them so deep that I find myself unable to bother with mine. Its my last PC probably. I'll stick with my macbook only from this point onwards, just for banking and all those other things you must have a compooter for thesedays. I just find more fullfilment from a novel, or riding my bike. Although the latter is so modern that too is bothering me. May swap it for a vintage bike I can fettle. I cant fettle my current bike, its too perfect, complex and too electronic.

The whole social media drama passed me by too, its like a modern CB radio to me. I dont do any of it. Ye 10-4 and all that.

Im still on an old iphone 6 and wont bother with that either. Ive still got a 3310 in drawer.

I feel like Im rejecting modernity and looking nostalgicly back to a more analogue existence where things were probably not as rosey as I imagine them to have been, but it is still an attraction. I feel saturated with things of little or no substance in the digital world. Its shallow, trite and a distraction. No, Im not going all Amish. Just stepping back.

A recent holiday with no connectivity on sea side made up my mind. I took the time to look and smell and listen and found I really enjoyed it. It was a release.

Ive lived through the birth of the internet, top loading cassette players and now a digital superficial world. I reject it all.

<No> PC games with a novel, iphone for a written letter. I enjoy writing a letter. I wrote to my friend recently, he texted me back.

It is a strange old world we find ourselves in.

I kind of agree with you - it's why I love summer where I can sit out the back with a glass of wine and a smoke and just enjoy the simple things in life.

I still do game but mainly after the sun has gone down and everyone else has gone to bed.

Never done social media and although I have a decent phone it is only really used for scrolling through Memedroid or reading books on the kindle app....

LOL, nice grade school insult. Funny how I'm enjoying amazing graphic fidelity and performance in my other games on my PS4. Not to mention my intro to the OP - "Let's put aside bugs and shadows and elephant butt leather for a moment and focus just on the game itself. I fired up Elite Dangerous after a few months on hiatus, did some things, and then exited with the thought, 'I think I really am done with the game...' It just doesn't 'scratch the itch' like it used to."

So no, I'm not going to buy a gaming PC just so I can have decent shadows and godrays, something that Red Dead Redemption 2 and dozens of other games manage to pull off using my 'least capable hardware'.
You know RDR2 took a pretty hefty graphical downgrade shortly after launch due to an update don’t you?
All I’m saying is the base PS4 isn’t exactly the gaming powerhouse it once was.

I hear ya Old Duck.

I find myself spending less time in game, and with longer breaks and fewer gaming hours between breaks. No hate, no rage, just been playing a long time, and many of hours. I still log in here to see what's new, and lots of folk that I enjoy keyboard warrioring with.

I'm still looking forward to what the future brings, and I'm sure I'll be logging in again as future updates arrive.

Until then, enjoy other stuff that life has to offer.

Z...

You know RDR2 took a pretty hefty graphical downgrade shortly after launch due to an update don’t you?
RDR2 took a hit to ambient occlusion, but a recent update fixed that. Digital Foundry did a test and determined AO is actually better now than it was at release. However, I do think RDR2 may have taken a hit in texture quality and some other details seen close up. There seems to be ongoing debate about this. I actually uninstalled the update (I own the disk) and am playing version 1.00, just in case. One thing is for sure, I would not call it a hefty graphical downgrade. I've got screenshots from both 1.00 and whatever the latest version is, and I'm having a tough time seeing the difference. My gut says it looks better running 1.00, but any downgrade is not the disco shadow hell / elephant butt leather of ED.

Speaking of, if I could roll back ED like I did RDR2, I would be very tempted to do so. The only thing I would truly miss from 2.4 onward is the FSS. Planet coloration is nice as well, but it's currently bugged on PS4 (very noticeable macroblocking like a low-quality JPEG). It wasn't always this way - like shadows, a minor point release broke it. And this leads to your next point:

All I’m saying is the base PS4 isn’t exactly the gaming powerhouse it once was.
See this I totally disagree with. It's the exact same gaming powerhouse it has always been. If anything, most games get better on consoles over time, not worse, as developers learn how to maximize the hardware. My FLOPs, MIPS, memory bandwidth, etc. is the same now that it was when I bought my PS4. Therefore there is no reason for the same game to look worse over time.

But I totally agree that I cannot expect a PS4 to offer native 4K 60 FPS raytracing graphics. So relative to new PC gaming hardware, the PS4 is in its twilight days. Believe me, I'll be preordering a PS5 when the time comes! But as I said earlier in this thread, I do not expect ED to look as good on my PS4 as it does on a $2000 gaming PC. I do expect ED to look as good on my PS4 as other cross-platform games do, or at the very least, as good as it did when it first released on PS4 (after vsync was fixed).

I'll also confess that if someone gifted me a top-end gaming PC that could run ED at ultra+ settings 60fps 1080p, I'd be back playing it again, at least for awhile. But I'm not so addicted to the core gameplay to make such an investment myself. That's the point of this whole thread.

ps - Frontier themselves have confirmed that ELB is a bug, one that they have yet to fix despite their claims in the patch notes.

Last edited:
Hoping for more survival/sim elements and less arcade shooter ones be implemented myself, but I might well be out of luck in that regard. Frontier seem intent on changing the trajectory for the type of game development they seem to have had in the past. At least that's the way it comes across to me.
Definitely this. I so wanted Elite 4 to be an advancement on First Encounters, with a flight model that needed to be learned and mastered, and that coupled with the idea of being able to land on even more detailed planet surfaces and explore, image, survey, sample and map...

And then they release it and it's an arcade dogfighting game with no planetary landings. 😕

Definitely this. I so wanted Elite 4 to be an advancement on First Encounters, with a flight model that needed to be learned and mastered, and that coupled with the idea of being able to land on even more detailed planet surfaces and explore, image, survey, sample and map...

And then they release it and it's an arcade dogfighting game with no planetary landings. 😕

... and now that there are planetary landings (although only on the blandest type of planets), the only thing there is to do there is shooting camera drones from a dune buggy...

I'm on my first break since Sep 2017, playing Skyrim for the past few weeks. Every day I think about going back into Elite so not to get rusty with the controls, but then that will take time away from this other thing so I dont :)

I haven't played in about a year at this point.
I still have the fantasy of playing and then I think, "what will I do?" ... and realise I don't want to do any of what the game offers.

Top Bottom