General / Off-Topic The expanse season 4

I was fully aware of the ramification of the move to Amazon from the very beginning.

Personally, I don't have an issue with swearing. I do have an issue with the overuse of swearing, especially if you want to appeal to a larger audience. Imagine how well Star Wars would go over if they tried to sell the fans something they don't want? You know, something like a neutered Luke? How well do you think fans would receive that? Just so, the Expanse would benefit from a larger audience if they just toned the language down in season 4. And it was a bit much in #4.

Now, let's talk Avasarala. She's a diplomat. Her job is to persuade people to do what she wants. "You f**k*ng piece of s**t! Get off your g**d*mn S and do as I f**k*ng say!!" usually doesn't work well... So, yea... Avasarala swearing as much as she did in #4 feels way out of character, even if the books say otherwise.

@ jasonbarron

Yep. There was swearing in #3 and, yes, #4 has upped the ante...
If used correctly, swearing can be powerful in a movie, as I remember she only used it in S3 when in a 101 session with another character, I didn’t find it overused however didn’t watch S4 yet, so when that is ticked off I’ll come back.

I'm a sailor and it irritates me how much she swears in this..got any class lady?

If it comes from Amos or such it seems natural but coming from the leader of earth it seems a bit forced and petulant.

I'm a sailor and it irritates me how much she swears in this..got any class lady?

If it comes from Amos or such it seems natural but coming from the leader of earth it seems a bit forced and petulant.

As others have pointed out, your complaint should be aimed at the authors of the books.

However, I feel that your complaint is actually groundless or at least undermined as the character was a spoiled child from a powerful family and came into her own power via machinations in the security service and without ever having to face public scrutiny.

Assessing a character's dialogue in light of their gender is possibly a mistake in the future world of The Expanse - it is already and will no doubt be more so in the future. It is probably more a reflection on your own world-view which perhaps is more tended towards a chivalrous attitude to the distaff branch of the species? (EDIT - NB that is not meant as a criticism.)

Last edited:

I’ve met some women who talked like that and they were not BC or Sailors but top managers and CEO’s so pretty realistic 😁

If I'm not mistaken, I think Avasarala explained at some point in the books why she swears so much. She's aware of it and does it on purpose. I just can't remember what the reason was. :D

Funny thing, in the books, most of the time when anyone else swears it pretty much tones it down with "Alex cursed" or something similar, but when Avasarala swears, it's all out right there. The authors seem to have made an effort to make her expletives be really in the face of the reader. So in the light of that, I say it's a correct depiction to have her swear more than any other character on the show as well. Like it or not, I suspect that's what the authors intended.

However, I feel that your complaint is actually groundless or at least undermined as the character was a spoiled child from a powerful family and came into her own power via machinations in the security service and without ever having to face public scrutiny.

I can't say you're wrong, having not read the books, but... using examples in history, I can think of at least two people who fit the bill you describe whose "careers" came to a grinding halt when the abused their power (not necessarily swearing). Caligula? Nero? Both powerful families, both likely spoiled, both came to power without too much resistance. And both failed epicly when they pushed their limits too far.

Not saying Avasarala is either of those, only pointing out that none of the above guarantees success. Which is exactly why I find it hard to believe that as a credible diplomat, she can rally too many people to her cause acting in that way. We have to remember that "stuff happens" in books because the author "says so". Whether or not that's actually in tune with reality is a judgement call we all make as we read.

N
As others have pointed out, your complaint should be aimed at the authors of the books.

Assessing a character's dialogue in light of their gender is possibly a mistake in the future world of The Expanse - it is already and will no doubt be more so in the future. It is probably more a reflection on your own world-view which perhaps is more tended towards a chivalrous attitude to the distaff branch of the species? (EDIT - NB that is not meant as a criticism.)

Not a complaint really, it's just a bit grating and in my own humble opinion a bit unnecessary. It's been awhile since I watched the previous seasons but she didn't seem to potty mouth her way through those so it's a little jarring. I suppose I'm just wondering why the change now?

Anyway the series overall enjoyment isnt affected because of a few swears.

........... I suppose I'm just wondering why the change now?

The move to Amazon streaming removed the restrictions that nanny-bound SyFy (part of NBCUniversal / Comcast) placed upon the production. See post #70 above

'Moving to Amazon is also a big next chapter for the series. The move means that the show has fewer restraints than it did on SyFy. “What’s great about being on Amazon is we no longer have language restrictions,” Shankar said. “Chrisjen Avasarala is going to swear like a sailor…and we also don’t have nudity restrictions.” '

According to Rotten Tomatoes the SyFy network bleeped out (or overdubbed) even the swearing to be seen (OK - heard ;) ) in the series 1 to 3 versions on Amazon.

Last edited:
Not saying Avasarala is either of those, only pointing out that none of the above guarantees success. Which is exactly why I find it hard to believe that as a credible diplomat, she can rally too many people to her cause acting in that way. We have to remember that "stuff happens" in books because the author "says so". Whether or not that's actually in tune with reality is a judgement call we all make as we read.
You've never seen a politician present one face to the public and another to staff and private? In this current grabbing age? :p

You've never seen a politician present one face to the public and another to staff and private? In this current grabbing age? :p
Currently, in US, we have a certain person high up in power who doesn't have any issue with calling people names or even swearing at campaign events. And people seem to like it.

--edit

Here's an article about how swearing is going mainstream in politics for anyone interested: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/19/us/politics/trump-language.html

Last edited:
I'm in book 7. And... excrement hits the fan yet again. :D It just gets bigger each time. Two phrases have occurred several times through the series, "James F**n Holden." and "Blah blah f**n blah." LOL!

Totally love the books and the show. There are many differences done in the show, but not in a bad way, just different. Main story the same, just some sub-plots and characters moved around a bit, probably because the sub-plots didn't add much or anything and I suspect some characters and their presence and stories were changed for practical reasons to keep actors on contract and such.

As long as they don't make a Game of Throne disaster finale, it'll stay as one of the top multi-season sci-fi series of all time.

When playing these Season 4 episodes via my BT Tv box (now that you can view Prime video on there) - the vid starts with a file header / title / thingie which says UK 4K UHD - so is anyone watching it in native 4K and is it up to scratch? (I am still using a 42" Panasonic 3D plasma so no 4K here.)

Yeap, the show on Prime is 4K UHD HDR.
I can say the quality is really nice, but as always the perceived quality really depends of the size of the screen and viewing distance.

Top Bottom