The face of a Thargoid

I met a CMDR last year who's Grandfather had fought the Thargoid war. Unfortunately the lad had passed away years ago but he had left behind recordings of his memories in audio logs. My Friend had me listen to one in particular in which his grandfather describes his encounter with a thargoid. At the time I dismissed the account, but in light of recent events I asked my friend to send me a copy of the log and I attempted to recreate visually what he saw.

For context, his grandfather had conducted a ground attack on a distant ammonia world. There was a thargoid outpost there that he and his fleet (he was a federation pilote at the time) were tasked to level. As they were scouting the insides of the base on foot to check for sings of life (which there usually wasn't any of, after the "standard treatment"), the ceiling opened to let what appeared to be a wounded thargoid out. The poor thing didn't live long of course. The old man said it had some sort of parasite on one of its limbs that seemed to be repairing it...

Anyway, here is the face of the new threat, as best as I could represent it.
http://imgur.com/CWc37et
CWc37et

Last edited:
I used to have some pet stick insects in a big glass jar... They were awesome, 'till they ate each other..

***insert obligatory ex-stick insect comment here***

No offense, and still really interested by them - but am I the only one slightly disappointed with the insectoid nature of Thargoids? I mean, it's pretty common.

I love their ships, that is something unseen. And at the time, I'm more willing to pretend the ship is the thargoid itself. Imagining a bug inside of it kinda bugs me. Considering Braben and his confessed love for "aliens", "things that are alien ", a mantis seems pretty common and unsurprising to me... Maybe I've watched too many boring documentaries...

No offense, and still really interested by them - but am I the only one slightly disappointed with the insectoid nature of Thargoids? I mean, it's pretty common.

I love their ships, that is something unseen. And at the time, I'm more willing to pretend the ship is the thargoid itself. Imagining a bug inside of it kinda bugs me. Considering Braben and his confessed love for "aliens", "things that are alien ", a mantis seems pretty common and unsurprising to me... Maybe I've watched too many boring documentaries...

Their resemblance to mantis is (currently) just in the minds of some players. We don't know, whether or not they look even remotely like those insects. I mean .. they migth, of course. But accusing FDev of anything rigth now is just premature.

Anyway, the Thargoids = insectoids idea is established since Elite (I think) and the new ED hence has to embrace a legacy.

Furthermore, all analogies of terran and alien life is just this: an analogy. Has it an exoskeleton? Maybe more than 4 limbs? We will call it a "bug", no matter how unrelated both creatures really are.
(By the way - Thargoids having 8 limbs would make them spiders, not insects. Just saying ...)

Last edited:
Their resemblance to mantis is (currently) just in the minds of some players. We don't know, whether or not they look even remotely like those insects. I mean .. they migth, of course. But accusing FDev of anything rigth now is just premature.

Anyway, the Thargoids = insectoids idea is established since Elite (I think) and the new ED hence has to embrace a legacy.

Furthermore, all analogies of terran and alien life is just this: an analogy. Has it an exoskeleton? Maybe more than 4 limbs? We will call it a "bug", no matter how unrelated both creatures really are.
(By the way - Thargoids having 8 limbs would make them spiders, not insects. Just saying ...)

Yes, I'm referring to the old elite's lore, from what I can tell, the insectoid part not going into too much detail (which in itself implies many many forms)... Still I'm no biologist, but they could have picked from a variety of other, more "alien' life forms IMO, could have gone crazier - but that was chosen long ago and just a line of text so not a big deal. I still prefer consistence over superficial originality.

Thargoids still hype me more than I've ever been about the game. I had not been playing for a few months and the vision of alien structures just put me back in the milky way.

Top Bottom