The first great planetary expedition : Chi Herculis / Kumay (route planning phase)

A
BSp0Mth.jpg
mining base on the equator. --

Call this thing Crater Mountain. Another equator feature, lots of smaller crater surround this small mountain also.
NzPBN1w.jpg

adding last two to spread sheet
Caliber

Last edited:
Nice thread, this was my home planet for quite a long time. Some amazing spots near Bridger town.

Jeez, quite a while since I've been there. Looks like the planet has changed colour since

[video=youtube;dBhuDljHJpo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBhuDljHJpo&t=49s[/video]

Last edited:
I've now checked out the really big craters on this planet.

Sunrise Crater (-31.35, 66.24):

VBUVs56.jpg

F8UvLu3.jpg

oOQU6Eu.jpg

Horseshoe Crater (-37.46, 114.23):

CrMUrB0.jpg

It has an interesting small crater with a steep mound:

qiXPbF2.jpg

From the planet view the crater looks a bit like a horseshoe:

TcFgIoh.jpg

Grim Face Crater (-12.92, -60.29) has an interesting valley cutting through it:

44kts6U.jpg

jDUSqID.jpg

ZBkC7G3.jpg

Last edited:
Two more POI's.

Buttercup Mountains (-49.15, 83.75) are separated by a yellow plain:

CC9S0VA.jpg

uFLfEp8.jpg

Dewdrop Crater is small and deep with a steep centre mound (-47.84, 92.4) with Buttercup Mountains in the background:

JSiWZl3.jpg

A mining base on the equator. --
While pretty cool I see you've added that to the spreadsheet but afaik these are non-persistant POI's (I'd love to be be proven wrong tho).
P.S. thanks to whoever added the Cmdr name column ... I was just about to do that.

Last edited:
At the south pole now, will stay here for a few hours until some sunlight hits this place (hopefully) . Not sure if this is rock or ice I am on but the ELW hanging on the horizon is so cool.

NjjNwSt.jpg

I'll post some daylight shots when I get some sunshine on my brain so to speak.

No daylight but an area with more harsh terrain
aknn5Np.jpg

it may be this part of the planet gets only planet light and no sun light

Caliber

Last edited:
A mining base on the equator. --

Hey Caliber_az, Bad news, I've just landed at those co-ordinates and your mining base has packed up and vanished with just a few rocks left behind!

Note: surface installations like this are randomly generated and are not persistent :( so there's no need to document them.
We're bound to come across loads of these when we're driving along the surface.

Epic stuff guys, perfect!

Meanwhile ...

Behold! Planet Kumay!

[haha]
This might your your first attempt at planetary construction, so I can unreservedly recommend this book - at less than the cost of your polystyrene balls.

While the author takes the complete beginner - in just eight days - through the earliest stages of universe creation from a first big bang through to final implementation, you might feel comfortable stopping at planet development and the handy hints on planet naming. This is such a successful course that only a few copies remain.

Last edited:
OK, no more mining bases ..lol. Just ran outta fuel / O2 on the south pole. Was kinda afk and only saw the warning with under 10 secs left. I am wondering if the south pole even get any daylight. Is there a way to figure it out without camping there for days?

Caliber

OK, no more mining bases ..lol. Just ran outta fuel / O2 on the south pole. Was kinda afk and only saw the warning with under 10 secs left. I am wondering if the south pole even get any daylight. Is there a way to figure it out without camping there for days?

Caliber

Use the orrery system map. Park on the south pole, open the orrery system map, zoom in on Kumay, orient the map so you can see Kumay's position relative to the star, then following its orbit line, see if your position on the moon would ever be facing the star at any point along its orbit. It's tidally locked right? In that case you can easily imagine how it would be rotated at any given point in its orbit.

Funny thing. It seems that geological POI on the surface actually belong to someone.
I was flying over O'Donnell Settlement and got fined for tresspassing by Chi Hercules Creative Group. After that in the left nav panel O'Donnel Settlement and some of the POI (but not all) showed "anonymous access" icon.
I'm guessing the rest belong to other factions.

Maybe we should get a permit or something?

Epic stuff guys, perfect!

Meanwhile ...

Behold! Planet Kumay!

[haha]

This might your your first attempt at planetary construction, so I can unreservedly recommend this book - at less than the cost of your polystyrene balls.

Oh, things are getting serious then, we have taken the step forward from route planning to whole planetary reconstruction!

May I call you Alec "Slartibartfast" Turner from now on? :p

[video=youtube;O7vC8T0umig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7vC8T0umig[/video]

Heading to Chi Herculis ASAP. ;)

watch

I've added a sheet to the online spreadsheet just for surveying Geological Surface Signals.
As the number of Main Surface Features rises these will get lost amongst them and we would get some duplicates.
This will make it easy to check if it's been done before.

I've added a sheet to the online spreadsheet just for surveying Geological Surface Signals.
As the number of Main Surface Features rises these will get lost amongst them and we would get some duplicates.
This will make it easy to check if it's been done before.
Oooh, nice one! Obviously in the end we'll probably only end up visiting a fraction of all those geological sites but, if people can be bothered to go and chart them all in that sheet then we can get them transferred to our map and/or my globe (currently in the process of getting lat/lon lines drawn on it now - an interesting drawing challenge in itself) which will make choosing the final route much easier.

I must say this is all jolly exciting ... this hair brained idea might just have legs ... err, well wheels at least!

Last edited:
Oooh, nice one! Obviously in the end we'll probably only end up visiting a fraction of all those geological sites but, if people can be bothered to go and chart them all in that sheet then we can get them transferred to our map and/or my globe (currently in the process of getting lat/lon lines drawn on it now - an interesting drawing challenge in itself) which will make choosing the final route much easier.

I must say this is all jolly exciting ... this hair brained idea might just have legs ... err, well wheels at least!

I know. Sometimes the planning can be just as much fun as the actual doing.

Top Bottom