The first great planetary expedition : Chi Herculis / Kumay (route planning phase)

It looks like the start of expedition is near, so I have a question about rules of circumnavigation.
I wonder what happens if I destroy SRV while driving? Does this mean I failed, or can I continue in another one?

I'm trying to decide what ship to use (one of the small ones) and I'm trying to figure out if there is a reason to bring more than one SRV?

When thinking about it, logic dictates that destuction of SRV and subsequently respawning in orbit disqualifies the attempt, but... what are the house rules in this case?

I think in this instance you should feel free to replace as many SRVs as you like! (and even recall your ship to go and get more from the nearby station if necessary). I certainly won't be disqualifying anyone's circumnavigation on those grounds. That said, if you or anyone else (I'm looking at you Mr "I'll destroy my ship before I start" Brabston) wishes to have a stronger sense of doing the entire circumnavigation in a single SRV then go for it and I salute you!

Oh, and on the subject of SRVs being destroyed, might be worth seeing recent discussion in the Discord (starting around 8:57 this morning).

Last edited:
I think in this instance you should feel free to replace as many SRVs as you like! (and even recall your ship to go and get more from the nearby station if necessary). I certainly won't be disqualifying anyone's circumnavigation on those grounds. That said, if you or anyone else (I'm looking at you Mr "I'll destroy my ship before I start" Brabston) wishes to have a stronger sense of doing the entire circumnavigation in a single SRV then go for it and I salute you!

Oh, and on the subject of SRVs being destroyed, might be worth seeing recent discussion in the Discord (starting around 8:57 this morning).

I must familiarize myself more with Discord then. It gets a little bit overwhelming with all those channels. Yesterday it was constantly "pinging" that someone posted something, yet I couldn't find anything new... geez, am I getting old?

I must familiarize myself more with Discord then. It gets a little bit overwhelming with all those channels. Yesterday it was constantly "pinging" that someone posted something, yet I couldn't find anything new... geez, am I getting old?

After years of hearing about Discord this adventure has finally got me to have it on my phone and PC's.

Looks like there's a race track within Bridger Town.

ltVHGUy.jpg

When thinking about it, logic dictates that destuction of SRV and subsequently respawning in orbit disqualifies the attempt, but... what are the house rules in this case?

As Alec says I'm for a free approach to SRV replacement too. Imposing an Iron Man mode might make people feel all too stressed about the need of driving/flyving on eggs, especially cmdrs less accustomed to ground activities.

More so, we should not forget about the very persistent damage amplifier bug, still plaguing (as far as I know) any istance where multiple players are involved, that could make damage management rather tricky if not possible at all.

Maybe something we could do, is keep a log/leaderboard of srv rebuys for any involved commander, some sort of ranking to see how each of us fared in srv management over the course of the expedition.

Last edited:
Anyhoo, got a nice screenie of Kumay and Apasam out of it.

I just realised something cool about this image. So, having spent the last few days surveying it, Kumay seems pretty big to me now, certainly a fairly daunting prospect for the circumnavigation. I just checked and Apasam is almost exactly the same size as planet Earth.

Go look at the above image again ... gosh we live on a big planet! I have new respect for people that have done things like this ..

https://www.outsideonline.com/1913651/around-world-1026-days

Last edited:
Just done a circuit of the racetrack, it's quite good.
There's a knack to getting onto the lit track ways as their ramps tend to launch you straight into the overhead gantry.
The back straight with the three lights is bumpy so that's a challenge as well - no fliving!

Just done a circuit of the racetrack, it's quite good.
There's a knack to getting onto the lit track ways as their ramps tend to launch you straight into the overhead gantry.
The back straight with the three lights is bumpy so that's a challenge as well - no fliving!

I might have a few hours tonight (which is rare). If we're on at the same time give me a shout and we'll have a race!

I just realised something cool about this image.

Me too, but something totally different. Those SC streaks around the planet remind me more of some gigantic arks leaving the planet on a mass exodus, than the tiny specks they are supposed to be. It's quite an evocative image anyway.

Decided to go and fill in the blanks on Nick's geological spreadsheet.

Was just heading to site #2 when I spotted Explorix in system. Winged up then noticed that site #2 was next to a canyon with a crater on the other side. The canyon was begging to be jumped so I landed on the crater side of it and took a run up. Explorix arrived just in time to see me land the jump perfectly ... yes ... that's definitely what happened! :p

Nice site (although I'm not sure if it's anywhere near our route)

ZZT5akm.png

hMrakyD.png

After meeting up and admiring site #2, next site on the list was #13. This (coincidentally) turned out to be a mere 40km away so, with the sun and the ELW setting behind us ..

TPfMWbm.png

.. the only sensible course of action was to drive it. Had a really fantastic drive (despite it getting dark FAST) and I have to say, experiencing this with someone else, occasionally pointing out features and picking a route through the terrain ahead ... this expedition is going to be utterly frickin' fantastic!!!

Anyway, I have video of that 40km journey which I'll upload at some point ... in the meantime here's a few photos from site #13 (which was in some terrific terrain - we had to drive through this crack in the terrain ahead of us and it led down this really steep slope and into a valley of fire!)

Coordinate shot at the bottom of "fire valley"

PMgc2Bm.png

I thought YOU brought the marshmallows? Well crap, I thought YOU brought 'em!

Y84yVyV.png

At the basin of the valley, with the fires behind us, this was the view up and out of the canyon via another route ...

73FN2u6.png

Just had to see what was up there and my ship is currently parked on the edge of that straight ridge you can see near the top. Really hoping I get to see this valley in daylight tomorrow.

Thanks Explorix (and everyone) for tagging along on this adventure. I have a REALLY good feeling about this!

[yesnod] [heart]

Last edited:
How I met Sir Alec
[video=youtube_share;ZqoZl7VqIZo]https://youtu.be/ZqoZl7VqIZo[/video]

The location is great! Nothing new to add to the POI List. Just had some fun with Alec. And before with my (in?)competent 2nd Officer.
The Geological Sites are beautiful at Night

No Boarding possible upstairs!?!?

Wow! Looks like Home

CMDR Explorix

Last edited:
How I met Sir Alec

The location is great! Nothing new to add to the POI List. Just had some fun with Alec. And before with my (in?)competent 2nd Officer.
The Geological Sites are beautiful at Night
No Boarding possible upstairs!?!?

Wow! Looks like Home

CMDR Explorix

Bit long and you probably had to be there but, for what it's worth, the complete journey from site #2 to site #13 ..

[video=youtube_share;ZSW5mCz806k]https://youtu.be/ZSW5mCz806k[/video]

Not really on our route (being pretty much due West of Bridger Town) but I thought Explorix might like to see the #2 -> #13 journey from an ariel shot. I was back at #13 in the light yesterday and it's a fantastic ravine to explore.

rmNdzWw.png

g2Pl6vU.png

6rhcyFu.png

Xr0wLEr.png

Also, I decided to pursue my own mapping project, partly just because I wanted to see if I could. Not as neat or accurate as I'd like but it kinda works ...
zGk1TuM.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like there's a race track within Bridger Town.
For those like me that need all the help that's going to learn race courses, I've added some location shots to this map (thanks/apologies to Nick Sticks). Just click the cyan circles.

Those using a phone or tablet might need to double-tap the thumbnails for a decent view.

Hope it's of some use - suggestions for improvements welcomed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom