The First Great Planetary Expedition

I made it to the pole and stopped there for the night.
Congratulations! (y)

Which reminds me:
I'm trying to keep expedition progress updated on the globe map >here< and i'm looking at >spreadsheet< to determine where people are, as I might miss posts - there are few yards of new messages on Discord every day, so I just gave up trying to keep up o_O
So, if you guys could enter your new position once you reach new waypoint, it would help keeping the map up to date.

I had to work today so didn't get to play much but once I got off I made the trip from Geo #6 to Coluber's Folly. As promised I am becoming a much better SRV driver and I've gotten both of the Proclaimers related achievements for SRV driving. "I Will Drive 500 Miles" (which I got the first day as I was pretty close at expedition start) plus "And I Will Drive 500 More".

Last edited:
I did a short session last night which brought some 100 km's from Coluber's Folly. It was dark and I was driving with night vision on. After a while, I noticed a strange spot floating in the air. At first, I thought it was a raised terrain feature catching the early sunlight. But as I came closer it appeared to be an NPC in an Orca, just hovering 50 meters above ground. Weird. I was very tempted to take a potshot but left him be. I did not want to risk a bounty on my head as I got a bounty when circumnavigating Ariel and it caused me all kinds of unwanted happenings including an intense game of hide and seek with a Police Viper.

Soon afterward I called it a night. Looking at the route, I'm hoping to reach the North Pole by coming Wednesday.

I did a short session last night which brought some 100 km's from Coluber's Folly. It was dark and I was driving with night vision on. After a while, I noticed a strange spot floating in the air. At first, I thought it was a raised terrain feature catching the early sunlight. But as I came closer it appeared to be an NPC in an Orca, just hovering 50 meters above ground. Weird. I was very tempted to take a potshot but left him be. I did not want to risk a bounty on my head as I got a bounty when circumnavigating Ariel and it caused me all kinds of unwanted happenings including an intense game of hide and seek with a Police Viper.

Soon afterward I called it a night. Looking at the route, I'm hoping to reach the North Pole by coming Wednesday.

Don't do it. Even if they are wanted, you'll never kill it, and you will be chased for an eternity until you log off.

On the hand, do it, for the lulz.

What might be a cool thing is for a group of us to find a wanted NPC ship that is floating or just sitting on the ground and poke it.

Then see if we can destroy it with our SRVs.

Might be fun!

I've come across a few such ships sitting around. I think if a group of us gathered and spread out looking, we could find one in short order.

I had to work today so didn't get to play much but once I got off I made the trip from Geo #6 to Coluber's Folly. As promised I am becoming a much better SRV driver and I've gotten both of the Proclaimers related achievements for SRV driving. "I Will Drive 500 Miles" (which I got the first day as I was pretty close at expedition start) plus "And I Will Drive 500 More".
If you've already reached Coluber's Folly that's pretty damn impressive, I only just go to #6 this morning myself. And yeah, if amyone else is heading from Lithops Mesa to #6 ... watch out! Rough terrain ahead ... I recommend heading about 10 degrees left of #6 for what I think was an easier way out. Video coming later.

I left the Grand Canyon Crater and started heading for Geo #8.
I came across a large canyon that looked too difficult to cross in the dark so skirted its edge for a couple of kilometres until I saw a flat bottom below with some lights. Maybe those miners can help me get across?

lDuU6yC.jpg

They pointed me in the direction of the narrow pass behind their mining facility but warned me to be careful, not many people leave that pass once they enter it and if they do they are usually considered mad and beyond help.
I headed up the pass noting that there was light up ahead although it had an eerie tinge to it.

r3Cavh0.jpg

As I got further up it got much lighter and opened up into a new valley, the likes of which I had not seen before.

pWvkusY.jpg

When I looked behind me there was no sign of the pass I had just exited, it was as if I had entered a new world.
I shall call this place Aprilfirstopolis.

If you've already reached Coluber's Folly that's pretty damn impressive, I only just go to #6 this morning myself. And yeah, if amyone else is heading from Lithops Mesa to #6 ... watch out! Rough terrain ahead ... I recommend heading about 10 degrees left of #6 for what I think was an easier way out. Video coming later.

Thank you, although to be perfectly honest I have lost 2 SRVs (thankfully my ship is loaded with nothing but planetary hangars) and had to wave off the second part of the Twin Peaks challenge because I was getting some mild vertigo/motion sickness that first day in the mountains and just decided to get the heck out of there as soon as possible. In taking the easiest path I could find and my terrible navigating (which has also improved) through the mountains I wound up pretty far off course in the far NE part of the range which made for a longer drive to the crater. My climbing skills have developed since then (thanks to The Grand Canyon, Lithops Mesa and the ground between the latter and #6) so I'm not dreading the rest of the mountains as much as I was that first day. Things were relatively smooth between #6 and Coluber's Folly though, bumpy and rough on my SRV at times but I didn't come across any major obstacles or death.

And yeah, if amyone else is heading from Lithops Mesa to #6 ... watch out! Rough terrain ahead ... I recommend heading about 10 degrees left of #6 for what I think was an easier way out.

Too late, damnit. My SRV is in some sort of SRV hole in that rough terrain. I did finally resort to night vision (I hate that) to try and find a way out last night, but it really does look like I've got myself down a hole. There seems to be no way out.

I'm hoping it will be daylight when I log on this evening, though I'll probably just explode and try again... Unless anyone happens to be passing in a ship and can give me a hand (if you are in an SRV, don't come anywhere near me!).

After a shower and something to eat... North Pole, here I come!!!

The terrain wasn't too bad, except for the occasional crater.

And then... the BOOBY LANDS of the NORTH. I reached speeds of up to 55m/s thanks to the many bumps. At that point, I had to switch to solo as the frame drops were just too nauseating. Made some really good progress.

And I'd like to say a very big thank-you for the rescue! It's been pretty much plain sailing since, but I stopped at geo 6 for the night and will head off again tomorrow.

I've got some good footage from yesterday, so just need to work out my video editors again and I'll put something together.

North Pole!
EliteDangerous64 2019-04-01 23-50-49-1.jpg

Location would be rather unremarkable (nobody remembered to bring a flag to plant?), if not for Apasam hanging over horizon, looking like it's going to fall down on Kumay any second...and beer cans left by previous visitors...
It's chilly here, but sleeping in Iow temperatures is supposed to be good for your health, so I'm going to take a beauty nap now.

Last edited:
Just arrived at Blue Cliff Valley, it was a pretty easy journey from Coluber's Folly. A little bumpy and some large craters along the way but no huge obstacles. As has been the case with pretty much every stop along the journey I arrived almost at the exact moment it got dark. I got a quick glimpse of it on the way in but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get a good look and some screen shots before moving on to Blue Vein Valley.

North Pole!
View attachment 126554
Location would be rather unremarkable (nobody remembered to bring a flag to plant?), if not for Apasam hanging over horizon, looking like it's going to fall down on Kumay any second...and beer cans left by previous visitors...
It's chilly here, but sleeping in Iow temperatures are supposed to be good for your health, so I'm going to take a beauty nap now.
I'm on my way (just got to Coluber's Folly today) and I've brought a flag!

zeaQCEw.png

Going from North Pole, Manaslu Peak works great as heading indicator.
EliteDangerous64 2019-04-02 10-58-03-1.jpg

I don't think I will be climbing that, but I wonder if jumping off top of it would be able to propell me into orbit... certainly you could see Sulphur Peak from there
EliteDangerous64 2019-04-02 11-37-13-1.jpg

That is one BRILLIANT shot!!
Oh, it is. Could work as a poster to some Sci-Fi movie.

Top Bottom