The First Great Planetary Expedition

The start date for this is currently planned for Wednesday 27th March
Which means I'm officially out :( Real life interference. Might be able to greet you guys 4 weeks later at the finishing line.
Good Luck!

CMDR Explorix

Which means I'm officially out :( Real life interference. Might be able to greet you guys 4 weeks later at the finishing line.
Good Luck!

CMDR Explorix

Is it just that particular day that's a problem? We could try to tweak it a bit if it is. Plus, even if people can't make the start, shame tho' that is - that's only one day of many and you can easily catch up.

We now have an expedition rosta over here.

Could people who are planning on taking part in this please add themselves to the list (if they're comfortable doing so).

I've included a "total SRV distance travelled column" (which can be found in the CODEX under your commander's exploration stat's). This is really just to try and gauge how much experience people have in the SRV and is really not intended to embarrass anyone, I just thought it might be useful. If people feel it's a bad idea then I'll remove it.

Note: I've carried across the names from the earlier forum threads so you may well already be on the list. If so could you just check your entry and make sure I have your details correct.

Last edited:
Sounds great. I will try to join, at least at the start and in some evenings/week-ends (I'm UTC+2). Is there already a schedule with in-game time and places (coordinates) to see when can I be available?

Open or private group? Open would be nice, but I think that we may be cannon fodder from the start... [mad]

Is there a recommended ship / loadout (like weapons? I assume that besides the number of SRVs carried, someone may choose to go to the nearest station and get new ones if he/she manages to destroy them.

I don't think I ever drove an SRV with 40 m/s. I usually drive at 14 to 20 m/s. This jump and boost style is hard. [yesnod]

Sounds great. I will try to join, at least at the start and in some evenings/week-ends (I'm UTC+2). Is there already a schedule with in-game time and places (coordinates) to see when can I be available?

Open or private group? Open would be nice, but I think that we may be cannon fodder from the start... [mad]

Is there a recommended ship / loadout (like weapons? I assume that besides the number of SRVs carried, someone may choose to go to the nearest station and get new ones if he/she manages to destroy them.

I don't think I ever drove an SRV with 40 m/s. I usually drive at 14 to 20 m/s. This jump and boost style is hard. [yesnod]

At present the only schedule we have is the start as it's very difficult to accurately gauge what our rate of progress will be. Hopefully once we get going we'll be able to start setting ETA's for certain key waypoints. Our current plan is to stick with Open mode so members of the community can easily come and join us and drive along for a bit or follow progress from the air. If people do decide to turn up and spoil this expedition then we'll just switch to a private group, shame tho' that would be. Any ship is fine, tho' it's slightly preferable to have one that can carry a few spare SRV's, and maybe a smaller ship that can land in rougher terrain with smaller flat landing areas.

As for driving the SRV at 40m/s and the jump/boost driving style - do read the sagittarius Eye article I mentioned in the FAQ but ultimately it only comes with lots of practice.

I have a total of 737 Km on my SRV (added about 250 of that Route scouting and having fun on planet). Right now I can jump not too bad but dropping the nose to increase speed is not working.

Of those that filled out what they have in SRV distance there are about 1/4 that have less than 1000 Km. Thee other thing is that your going to add about 4000 Km's to finish, your driving/flyving skill should improve. Also there is still about 3 weeks before we start so a bit of practice might help. I think tho there will be enough SRV drivers of various skills that it should be not too hard to find another Commander who matches your speed and skills to ride along with.

Remember the fun is in the journey not the destination. As Yoda would say .... "Try you must".

Caliber

Is it just that particular day that's a problem? We could try to tweak it a bit if it is. Plus, even if people can't make the start, shame tho' that is - that's only one day of many and you can easily catch up.

No worries please. Im away from my ED computer for 3 weeks, starting March 23. But I should be able to follow your progress in the forum.

I have a total of 737 Km on my SRV (added about 250 of that Route scouting and having fun on planet). Right now I can jump not too bad but dropping the nose to increase speed is not working.

Of those that filled out what they have in SRV distance there are about 1/4 that have less than 1000 Km. Thee other thing is that your going to add about 4000 Km's to finish, your driving/flyving skill should improve. Also there is still about 3 weeks before we start so a bit of practice might help. I think tho there will be enough SRV drivers of various skills that it should be not too hard to find another Commander who matches your speed and skills to ride along with.

Remember the fun is in the journey not the destination. As Yoda would say .... "Try you must".

Caliber
Beautifully put, could not have answered that better myself! [smile]

Congratulations on an excellent community initiative! It's events like this that make me proud to be an ED player and I'd love to join.

So I've nailed my colours to the mast, HOWEVER............

Please tell us what security steps (if any) have/will be taken to stop this becoming The First Great Planetary Gank?

I hate to be the Grim Reaper but in light of the DW2 fiasco, surely attempting this in Open has "Disaster" written all over it? No doubt Zarek Null et al. can hardly believe their luck.

Please reassure me I won't be saying "I told you so".

Last edited:
Congratulations on an excellent community initiative! It's events like this that make me proud to be an ED player and I'd love to join.

Please tell us what security steps (if any) have/will be taken to stop this becoming The First Great Planetary Gank?

I hate to be the Grim Reaper but in light of the DW2 fiasco, surely attempting this in Open has "Disaster" written all over it? No doubt Zarek Null et al. can hardly believe their luck.

It was said before that the plan is to start in Open and switch to Private Group if things will really turn out nasty.

We don't really have to worry that much. If a ganker shows up (which might happen only in known waypoints - it's hard to find SRV on the surface otherwise) and starts to shoot you, he might destroy your SRV (probably not that easy to do from a ship though) the worst case scenario - he will destroy your ship if he'll catch you with pants around ankles.
Then you'll respawn either in your ship or in nearby base and we will continue in Private Group, at least for a while.

I doubt they will make the effort though. How much harm can they do? You'll not loose some important data, you'll not respawn thousands of Ly away. Ganker might open fire on us and 10 seconds later all people around him will disappear into PG - because I absolutely encourage clogging in that case. Or shooting back, whatever you find fun.
I think we might destroy quite a few SRV on our own just driving - if a ganker will help me destroy another one - boo hoo. I'll block the arsehole and move on.

Last edited:

Don't want to make a big deal about this ... we'll try in open (probably run a few SRV races around Bridger Town while we wait for everyone to turn up). If it quickly becomes obvious that people are intent on spoiling things we'll shrug and move to a private group. It's a shamefully pathetic gank but if anyone wants to show themselves up like that then so be it. All I will say is that nobody should be in their ships on the night. Be already docked at Bridger and simply deploy the SRV.

No promises, but I'm thinking about making a visual guide to basic SRV "flyving." Getting up to 50 m/s (or more) boils down to knowing a handful of tricks, and they're all teachable.

Alec's Sag-Eye article does a great job at explaining in text, but for those of you who would like a more visual guide, what would be most useful for you?

* A series of infographics illustrating the principles as static images
* A tutorial video with text captions
* A tutorial video with narration (in English)
* Other?

Again, no promises, but if I am going to spend time on this I'd like to go after the most effective format. :)

Top Bottom