The First Great Planetary Expedition

Circumnavigation is not about constantly pushing 40m/s. If you're a half decent driver you should join. I don't do 40m/s, that's for sure. My circumnavigation of Ariel averaged out at 29 m/s.
This expedition will be great fun and you can set your own tempo.

Yeah - 40m/s isn't a requirement, just a practice goal.

P.S. I've done a thing! Needs a little bit of finessing maybe but still, quite pleased with this ...

http://buckyballracing.org.uk/kumay.html

This sounds awesome. I wish I could participate, but frankly the idea of keeping anywhere close to 40m/s is an impossible ask for me. I've spent a lot of time in the SRV, but I'll never be able to keep up with that.

However, for those that can it sounds like a wonderful event! I'll be keeping tabs on y'all from the sidelines, and cheering you on.

Good luck out there!

I'm more of a 10m/s driver and I'm going.
I'll try to learn driving faster during the expedition. Or die trying.

.. or my expedition will be a year longer...

What about Security for the event? I've already seen comments on the FB posts about 'bombing runs'. DW2 has suffered griefers at it's gatherings. Just wondering if any thought has been given to that? Maybe a combat wing or two to cover the organized gatherings?

What about Security for the event? I've already seen comments on the FB posts about 'bombing runs'. DW2 has suffered griefers at it's gatherings. Just wondering if any thought has been given to that? Maybe a combat wing or two to cover the organized gatherings?

No security please, having organised combat wings present will just make matters worse and somehow justify it all.

If the start gets griefed (which, yeah, it probably will) then we'll just switch to a PG.

Last edited:
I max out at 30 so I wont be one of the front runners. One thing I will do though is target one of them then I will have a heading to follow. No need to calculate what direction to go if someone in front of you has done it already. The other thing to remember this isn't a race, it is an adventure.

Become part of history and join in on the advent. Remember all those who went to Woodstock did not stay the whole 3 days yet they became part of that page of history. Alec isn't setting any hard core rules. This is supposed to be a fon event that all types of Commanders can join in. Not everyone is going to finish the DW2 event but they were still a part of it.

My 2 cents.
Caliber

OK. May we please congregate on your planet?

I will allow it. But please be aware that I strictly prohibit leaving any tire tracks on this planet's surface, because doing so would have the harmful effect of defiling its natural sanctity. Also, all participants will need to apply for, receive, and display authorized ship IDs administred by my organization. Obtaining an authorized ship ID generally involves receiving at least three levels of approval: one henchman approval, followed by an underlord's sign-off, and then a final Overlord signature; it generally takes at least three weeks to complete the process. I also ask that SRV drivers adhere to important travel distance restrictions -- do not traverse more than 2km per day, in order to avoid the risk of portraying yourselves as a men of great ambition, when in fact there is only one man of truly great ambition: Zarek Null, Overlord of the Galaxy.

Obey these simple and just rules, and all will go well for you. I insist.

Do anyone use one of those external tools to reach a set of coordinates? I used one some time ago, but I have no idea if it's useful when you're in an SRV. It may be nice, since it points you in the correct direction and also tells you the remaining distance.

I haven't got the occasion to use it in a long time because these days most things are POIs so no need to manually reach some coordinates. Can't remember the name, but it was an overlay with directions and a voice (I didn't use the overlay, because I was lazy and I don't play borderless, but the guiding voice was ok).

Do anyone use one of those external tools to reach a set of coordinates? I used one some time ago, but I have no idea if it's useful when you're in an SRV. It may be nice, since it points you in the correct direction and also tells you the remaining distance.

I haven't got the occasion to use it in a long time because these days most things are POIs so no need to manually reach some coordinates. Can't remember the name, but it was an overlay with directions and a voice (I didn't use the overlay, because I was lazy and I don't play borderless, but the guiding voice was ok).

You might be talking about EDDiscovery (there may be others that can do this).
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-Journals-Exploration-Trading-Voice-Star-Maps

I actually set the compass thing up yesterday to see how it works but I'm not sure if I'll use it.

Edit: ninjad :)

Last edited:
I will allow it. But please be aware that I strictly prohibit leaving any tire tracks on this planet's surface, because doing so would have the harmful effect of defiling its natural sanctity. Also, all participants will need to apply for, receive, and display authorized ship IDs administred by my organization. Obtaining an authorized ship ID generally involves receiving at least three levels of approval: one henchman approval, followed by an underlord's sign-off, and then a final Overlord signature; it generally takes at least three weeks to complete the process. I also ask that SRV drivers adhere to important travel distance restrictions -- do not traverse more than 2km per day, in order to avoid the risk of portraying yourselves as a men of great ambition, when in fact there is only one man of truly great ambition: Zarek Null, Overlord of the Galaxy.

Obey these simple and just rules, and all will go well for you. I insist.

Sounds like far too much paper work to me.

I think the process could be streamlined as detailed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

For quick orbit to surface guidance I use Edison. It works really well. I have not yet used in the SRV.

Re: surface navigation ... what I may well do is update the final route plan with bearings to take from each waypoint to the next so I wouldn't worry too much. Also, as well as learning how to better handle the SRV this expedition is a great opportunity to become much better at reading the coordinates and having a good sense of where you are and where you're going.

For surface navigation (and chat vocalization) I use
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...on-app-(with-simulated-space-traffic-control)
It has heading arrow(!!!) and voice guidance (although it can get really annoying, so I turn it off).

Nice infograph. Steps 1 - 3 check, Steps 4 and 5 not so much. Taking FA off helped gain some speed but trying to make useful landings/bounces is the tough part. Still taking too much damage and the more speed the more damage. At this rate i will only about 3K of mats for the trip. only can carry 300 of course. Only been practicing for a couple hundred k so I should improve with more practice.

Anyways your infograph has helped and my crappy Flying skills have improved a bit with your aid.

Good Job
Caliber

Top Bottom