The First Great Planetary Expedition

Did a bit of driving from Buttercup Mountains towards the Naga Canyon. Hooked up with Cygarr (despite it being pitch black and not very scenic). As we drew ever closer to the start of the Naga Canyon I was struggling to see it in the dark (kinda assumed I'd know it when I saw it).

Anyway, then we spotted a WANTED Crusader parked on the ground so I abandoned my hunt for the canyon and decided to blow this sucker up instead so I could photograph his wreckage.

While following the spinning wreck as it fell back to earth I suddenly realised that it was gonna fall right into the start of the canyon (which I could now see from the air).

Motto: if you looking for something planetside, find and blow up a ship and maybe, if you're lucky, the wreck will take you to what you seek!

Anyway, to prove to Cygarr (who saw the ship and its desctruction, but not the wreckage I got him to park next to) ... here we are!

oZfXmxR.png

OAi7aWz.png

Interestingly, despite not being able to see the wreckage, Cygarr even bumped it at one point while I was talking him into position for the screenie!

I think I have a problem.

See, it started when i did this amazing (for me) double jump into and then out of this canyon while flyving along. I had to stop and take a proper look, and then from the lip could see this little gently inclined inviting little ravine.

So I jumped back in just so I could drive back out up the ravine.

It popped me out a few km from Geo 14, meant to be I tell you.

I'm now nearing the Tuskan Wastes, having stopped off at the Cliffs of Insanity en route to admire the view:

Best part was it's so steep on one side I managed to take off from the summit and not touch anything till I landed on the plains below.
Thought I'd nailed it with the first few bounces then one unhappy impact (I swear it looked like the others) left me with a squeaky 4% hull and some repair mat restocking.

I think I have a problem.

See, it started when i did this amazing (for me) double jump into and then out of this canyon while flyving along. I had to stop and take a proper look, and then from the lip could see this little gently inclined inviting little ravine.

So I jumped back in just so I could drive back out up the ravine.

It popped me out a few km from Geo 14, meant to be I tell you.

I'm now nearing the Tuskan Wastes, having stopped off at the Cliffs of Insanity en route to admire the view:
View attachment 130542

Best part was it's so steep on one side I managed to take off from the summit and not touch anything till I landed on the plains below.
Thought I'd nailed it with the first few bounces then one unhappy impact (I swear it looked like the others) left me with a squeaky 4% hull and some repair mat restocking.

Jumping off the Cliffs Of Insanity was one of the highlights of the expedition for me. It was just fun I guess. I didn't make it all the way to the plains in one jump though, I made it pretty far but I didn't get enough speed on my jump from the peak and I had to bounce once about 2/3 of the way down.

Day 40

Wow ... 40 days, that's starting to sound like a long time. When we started this I estimated a month. Although a lot of peope have now finished their circumnavigations there's a bunch of us still going. Personally, illness (which I'm thankfully nearly over) has cut into my driving time quite severely and that plus distractions like a detour to Sunrise Crater, weekend shenanigans at O'Donnell, and a surprise return to my career as a bounty hunter (an activity I didn't expect to be performing during a planetary circumnavigation) have left me somewhere around the 66% distance mark, currently on my way to the South Pole.

I recently followed the Naga Canyon which was wonderful (if dark) and I even managed to find "Aken's Passage" - a narrow gorge which cuts off one corner of the canyon. I have some video of that coming later but in the meantime here's a selfie with one of my latest conquests. I'm currently looking to earn at least half a million credits from bounties on the ships I've found hiding down on the surface of Kumay!

VpYMhvk.png

I'm currently looking to earn at least half a million credits from bounties on the ships I've found hiding down on the surface of Kumay!

Nice. I had a great adventure last night. I was bumming around Bridger when a dot on the radar drew my attention. Sure enough, it was a wanted NPC and a dangerous Anaconda no less! I was in my un-engineered (is that even a word?) Cobra with two pulses and two multis. I hovered there for a while and then thought, why not indeed?! Rebuy is peanuts... I deployed hard points and opened fire. Within seconds the Anaconda came to life. Yet it took them quite a while before they returned fire. That bought me enough time to get their shields down to 1.5 rings. But that was as far as I got. I decided to leg it as my shields were offline by that time. Thankfully the Cobra is fast and I managed to escape to a nearby canyon system. However, I was so wrong to think I was home free... There the angry red dot appeared again and - like it was tied to my location by a thread - it homed in on me relentlessly... "Now you die, victim!!". Well, we'll have to see about that! Using the canyon system as cover, after some trial and error, I managed to navigate the narrow gorges and get behind the big lumbering ship and do some more damage. I was able to turn on a dime and although I took some fire when passing, the Anaconda regularly hit the canyon wall when trying to keep guns aimed at me. The secret here was to pass by as low to the canyon floor as possible. I had 4 pips in engine to ensure optimal maneuverability so I knew that in case I hit the canyon floor (or wall) that would be the end of my cat and mouse game. However, I managed to stay clear of unwanted collisions and slowly but surely the Anaconda's shields and hull were disappearing. I was starting to feel rather happy with myself and looking forward to cashing the 150K credits bounty when disaster struck...

BOOM! CONNECTION ERROR.

Noooooooooo.....!!!!

I sat there for a while staring at the black screen and obviously, I was annoyed but this was such great fun, I'll head out again tonight! Maybe I'll find another one? On a side: the Criminal Task Force that made a really serious sounding announcement in local chat about their impending arrival, never arrived.

Last edited:
Man, you have some great, cinematic-like adventures involving combat. This, asteroid hiding... marvelous stuff :)

Hehe... well to be fair I was a coward and ran as I was utterly outgunned against that Anaconda. I saw the canyon system while I was fleeing and prepping to low wake out... so for the story, I spiced it up a bit. Just a bit. 😎

Just finished my second circumnavigation of Kumay, the first was the North / South route. The second one was a Equatorial circumnavigation. Started and Ended at 0.0 / 0,0 and was rather quite fun. Only a couple tough areas to deal with, was a much easier route the the first.

Before I can to Kumay I had about 450 Km on my SRV. I am now at 11.5 MM. A lot better a flyving but no where near as good as some commanders. 40 - 50 m/s is about my top speed, did 30 - 40 most of the time when ever I wasn't facing backward, sideways or tumbling...lol

Caliber

Just finished my second circumnavigation of Kumay, the first was the North / South route. The second one was a Equatorial circumnavigation. Started and Ended at 0.0 / 0,0 and was rather quite fun. Only a couple tough areas to deal with, was a much easier route the the first.

Before I can to Kumay I had about 450 Km on my SRV. I am now at 11.5 MM. A lot better a flyving but no where near as good as some commanders. 40 - 50 m/s is about my top speed, did 30 - 40 most of the time when ever I wasn't facing backward, sideways or tumbling...lol

Caliber
Now that's just showing off :p

Good work o7

Caliber
Epic - now that is definitely a first - two circumnavigations of the same world, one polar and one equatorial. Bravo sir, I think that deserves a DiCaprio toast!

Source: https://media.giphy.com/media/jNdw5Qmy5MOpq/giphy.gif

@Caliber_az - I noticed you missed a few bits tho! Can I perhaps suggest you now take the following route?

main-qimg-40b488b330fb5f335ea94506e73031bd
LOL, I like it !

I really want to do a different moon/planet now as I know I cannot judge all of them by Kumay. Maybe a different gravity or surface. Also something not done before would be cool.

Open to ideas if people have them

Caliber

Top Bottom