The First Great Planetary Expedition

LOL, I like it !

I really want to do a different moon/planet now as I know I cannot judge all of them by Kumay. Maybe a different gravity or surface. Also something not done before would be cool.

Open to ideas if people have them

Caliber
The scouting phase thread has some great planets but they will all be more or less the same gravity.

I really want to do a different moon/planet now as I know I cannot judge all of them by Kumay. Maybe a different gravity or surface. Also something not done before would be cool.
I did Ariel (moon of Uranus) and that was an incredible adventure. I can recommend it but yeah... it's already done which might be a showstopper for you. Here's a link to the forum thread with my adventures should you be interested to read them: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/ariel-circumnavigation.449465/

My stats for Ariel:

Total distance: 3,940 km
Total time: 42 hours
Average speed: ~94 kmph, or 26 m/s
Number of SRV's: 4
Number of repairs: 124 (synthesis)
Number of refuels: ~45 (not too sure about this one)
Lowest chassis value: 4%
Highest speed: 52 m/s

Setting off for the final leg from Termite Mound to Bridger Town.

nb3LgxE.jpg

I hadn't been going long and came across these 6 sad individuals.

21HCxmX.jpg

It looks like I've found one of our Missing In Action fellow circumnavigators.

xMN0poU.jpg

I was joined by @Alec Turner for some of the journey both in his Srv and also in his ship, thanks for company!

There it is - Bridger Town!

ZHQK2L9.jpg

It looks good. Thanks @Florenus for the welcome!

OH8nSaG.jpg

Finally, proof I'm really here.

nb1nnhx.jpg

Total distance travelled is 2.6Mm.

Open to ideas if people have them

Coltan (in Dahan) is a really small world that I am going to drive round. I visited it the other day in my iCourier… But realised when I got there that I'd forgotten to fit a vehicle bay! Haven't been back yet, but it's pretty much next on my list.

Due to the FGPE, Jonas has been in deep cryosleep for a while now. Yesterday it was time to wake him up as he has until the 13th of June to get to Beagle Point. Otherwise no DW2 decal from Frontier 😱. Luckily plenty of time. Last night the distance to Beagle Point was reduced to just shy of 30.000 LY. Depending on the mood I'd say arrival in a week or so is possible. Kokor on the other has just bought herself a shiny new T10 which is now outfitted for core mining and (mild) combat. Thanks to a recent promotion to Elite her outfitting woes belong to the past now.

Coltan (in Dahan) is a really small world that I am going to drive round. I visited it the other day in my iCourier… But realised when I got there that I'd forgotten to fit a vehicle bay! Haven't been back yet, but it's pretty much next on my list.

Just took a quick gander at this moon. It is only 1000 Km in circumference, I should be able to average 250 Km and day, that would make it a 4 or 5 day event. There are 3 Geo sites on the surface, lots of craters and canyons although nothing as difficult as what was on Kumay from what I saw.

As it is on your list I would not do this without you or your OK on it at the very least. Would you be up for some company on this. Maybe we can scare up a few more people if they are totally sick of being on the SRV's

Hey Alec, not trying to derail the Kumay channel here but just seeing if there is any interest. If so we would start another channel if needed.

Caliber

Just took a quick gander at this moon. It is only 1000 Km in circumference, I should be able to average 250 Km and day, that would make it a 4 or 5 day event. There are 3 Geo sites on the surface, lots of craters and canyons although nothing as difficult as what was on Kumay from what I saw.

As it is on your list I would not do this without you or your OK on it at the very least. Would you be up for some company on this. Maybe we can scare up a few more people if they are totally sick of being on the SRV's

Hey Alec, not trying to derail the Kumay channel here but just seeing if there is any interest. If so we would start another channel if needed.

Caliber
No, feel free - and if you want me to add some Coltan channels to the Discord just let me know.

Caliber

It's only on my list because I looked up small planets on EDDB and discovered that it was there and just one hop away. I make no claim over it. :)

Having said that, after a spot of USS and bounty hunting, I headed over to Coltan fully loaded with SRVs. I landed at the North Pole and just headed at 180 towards the South Pole. I got there a couple of hours later - so it would be possible to do it in an evening without too much trouble. I did do a fair chunk of it at over 400m/s, but a lot of the time I was in the low hundreds if not slower.

There isn't any particularly interesting scenery (mind you, I drove all the way in the dark), but there were a few large craters. I think the planet is too small to have any notable mountains (or I flew over them!). I'll probably do south to north tomorrow at some point. There are also some useful materials on the planet, so I'll probably shoot some rocks for a while to stock up.

No, feel free - and if you want me to add some Coltan channels to the Discord just let me know.

That would be cool if you could. I reckon just one would be fine - it's a really small planet! :)

EDIT: And having just looked at how Discord works... Yeah, it would be one channel anyway, lol. But probably only need one or two tags under it.

Last edited:
Awesome I will start doing Coltan on Saturday then. I got time to figure out if I am doing polar or equatorial before I Start.

I don't Flyve at fast as you do Crank so probably wont be able to catch up unless I start where you are now and finish there.

Caliber

It's been a while I haven't posted anything on the forums (and nothing in the official expedition thread so far) - I was fully absorbed by Kumay and all circumnavigation related activities. Now it's seems right to me to post here at least my concluding report:

Day 43, I have finished the "official" circumnavigation part, and that passed quite unexpectedly even for myself. That was not planned so soon. Well, sometimes things are not going as predicted. May be the pace I've taken starting from the very depth of the Naga Canyon got me carried away a little bit. Or just absence of daylight and related opportunities to stop for - "wow, must take a screenshot of this" - allowed me to concentrate on the pure driving/flyving - don't know really.

Either way I think it's a good time to sort out all the pleasant memories and funny moments I've got during this expedition - kind of a review to my journey storyline in other words.

First of all, let me thank Cmdr Alec Turner and all other commanders who have participated in planning, prospecting and other absolutely necessary tasks in order to make this expedition even possible. Oh, long ago I've had few occasions to plan and head expeditions of approximately similar duration IRL (and with not always experienced participants) - so I assume I can imagine what amount of organization work and hard efforts this can require even in virtual world. From my side - but I'm quite sure this can be approved by many other commanders - you've completely succeeded in your goals (to say the least). o7, commanders, bravo!

Also "bravo" to all the participants and non-participants, even if some of them has been "lost in action". Together we have managed to create quite an atmosphere for this expedition - a mix of fun, freedom, competition and cooperativeness, support and a little pinch of madness - that even for a hermit-style player like me it was a real pleasure to dive in. I really appreciate the resulting spirit of this expedition! Seriously, that's a real achievement in the game where each player supposed to blaze its own way! o7

I remember the day... or better say "night" of the expedition start. I was a bit disappointed as I was not lucky enough to join the main instance with racing and festivities=) New friends (BillieJoe, Agony_Aunt, Doctor Introvertsius, Sgurr, Darplata94, Tyrope), commanders with quite the different driving experience level and - must mention - different stock of repair/refuel mats, our caravan, leaded by CMDR Doctor Introvertsius, slowly departing from Bridger and stretching quite fast due to our bad pace synchronization, my futile attempts to gather us back again. My first srv lost when I've tried to bounce high enough from a crater lip to see all of us, and forgetting to check my hull in advance. Some commanders joining in, some others logging out, Agony_Aunt disappearing quickly above the horizon=) and me - trying to figure out where all things going while lost in mountains as I as usual have found the most uneasy way to cross them - and my first meetup with Alec Turner when I finally got out of them. First geo-site on the route and preparing smoked limpets on a "campfire", encountering other commanders and driving alongside with them. Rescue operations, cameraman work when I've tried to film ultra-fast commander cookiehole (at least as it seemed to me then=)) and my own admiration of his flyving mastering, the first expedition meetup "The First Great Kumay Nipple Jumping Festival" at The Grand Canyon Craters, first extra-damage bug experience, new places...

Canyon jumping and surviving with 1% of the hull, Cmdr Tyndalos (we have covered quite a distance together) waiting patiently for my fly-back from Bridger in order to restock srv's when I've lost the last one. Beauty of the Coluber's Folly, spontaneous meetup there with jumping on top of the "mighty big Cutter" and photo session with commanders Veristhea and janara; Snow Queen Palaces of the Blue Cliff Valley and ghostly glow of the Blue Vein Valley; endless attempts to get one meter more up on the Northern Route and conquering of the Sulphur peak. North Pole and my navigational "loop of shame", air support mission to assist commanders Agony_Aunt and Crank Larson in their climb on the most picturesque - if seen from distance - Peak on the route - Manaslu Peak (at least the first one succeeded, and may be my friendly bump have helped him=) )

Yes, screenshots- screenshots- screenshots.... Finally arrived at O'Donnell Settlement - kind of my in-game specialization - and the decision to start new investigation on the search zones (my trip there and help from commanders Tyrope and Kiwi Rob ); enchanting shenanigans and srv-pyramids at NP, and all that was just the first third of the official route ...

And I'm sure all of us have learned a couple of tricks from the others. Quite a good experience gained, at least in my case. I was not a complete "noob" at the very beginning with 7Mm in my backpack, but this circumnavigation has doubled it. Cruise speed progress from top 50 to 150 normal and 300+ as tops=) And after all up to now I haven't even mentioned one of the most living discord servers in ED universe!

SRV stats - oh... Honestly I've lost 3 or 4 for my own driving errors and/or bad luck. Some more while -or due to - abnormal damage testing (and I'm sure that it's the united effort of expedition participants was one of the main reasons that this long-reported issue has been finally fixed in the last update) . And... at least a dozen due to leaving my srv somewhere and forgetting about it when my presence in RL were needed=)

At last I must say, that up to now I'm sticked to a kind of space-gipsy in game lifestyle, having no homeports, no squadrons, factions or powers aggravating my life (except my own investigation projects and necessity to upgrade ships to be up to date) so I'm relatively free and currently planning to stay on Kumay for quite some time (even to transfer my alt-account here as I said to Alec). Yep, I want to continue a bit spontaneously started investigation of the search zone generation mechanics. And what about high towers of Bridger Town - can I get there? The Sentinel is also in my "why not?" to-do list (Manaslu peak also can be there, but actually I'm quite sure that is not doable on my level). So I also plan to revisit some waypoints and master external camera videotaping - or can join someone's flyving as a cameraman. Regarding what Alec Turner have said about his plans on review-promo clip of the expedition I have also 800G of raw video (most of it is junk or just my desktop so must be cut away) and a few Gig's of screenshots to sort them all out. Anyway for me it's not the time to say "goodbye" to Kumay=)

o7, commanders! Let the bouncing be gentle to your srv's=)
__
(And here I leave a placeholder for the link to my upcoming album with selected screenshots)
__

Just Finished doing Coltan, followed the equator, Seems I like em that way ..lol This time tho I went east, last time I did west. I think west is better as I was in the dark most of the time and I think I outran the sun. Going in the opposite direction would give you shorter days but also shorter nights.

Oh well, It is a done deal now and that is all that matters.

Also since this a small planet and the terrian is not super diffuclt I think it would be a great starter planet for those who want to get your feet wet. It is only just a bit over 1000 Km so most CMDRs should be able to knock this off in about a week or a bit less. There is a lot of bumpy terrian but nothing as severe as Kumay. Doing this would allow Commanders to learn how Flyving works without have things too extreme.

Caliber

Also since this a small planet and the terrian is not super diffuclt I think it would be a great starter planet for those who want to get your feet wet. It is only just a bit over 1000 Km so most CMDRs should be able to knock this off in about a week or a bit less. There is a lot of bumpy terrian but nothing as severe as Kumay. Doing this would allow Commanders to learn how Flyving works without have things too extreme.

Caliber

100% agree, kumay can be a bit difficult !

Meanwhile, back on Kumay it's day 49 and I'm exploring Grim Face Crater which contains a whole feast of spectacular landscape within its broken walls.

X7echLe.jpg

I'm actually looking for something quite specific. Nope, not crashed ships (although this makes a change from the DBX's which seem to fall out of the skies with alarming regularity).

E80Fbeh.jpg

Also, is it just me or has that dude's toilet seat coming flying out of his cockpit and landed, rather embarrassingly, right there on the ground in front of his ship!

Anyway, let's keep looking. Hmmm, maybe over there somewhere?

D7JaSUb.jpg

Not quite right, let's keep looking ...

ZEafmjo.jpg

Ahhh, now that down there looks perfect.

H44NRLQ.jpg

What was I looking for?

Somewhere flat where I could sign this damn moon before it's too late and I find myself back at Bridger Town.

On7xIDD.jpg

KB1LMCP.jpg

I did consider attempting our logo but I fear the day isn't long enough to get it done before the sun sets.
That sounds like a speed writing challenge to me, and you like speed ;)

How do you do that? Seriously, I know it might be lifting the curtain a bit but do you have video of you writing?

Like Florenus says, you're really good at it.

----

My day 49 will see me continuing from Horseshoe Crater (whenever the servers come back up)
I was part way across it when I blew up my last srv, so starting again from the near rim and trying not to have any more high speed accidents.

Onwards

Top Bottom