Guide / Tutorial The FSS - A pictoral guide.

I originally posted this in on the Beta forum, but I've been asked to repost it, so I hope you all will forgive me.

I'm going to start out by saying two things:

1) I really hope Frontier gets around to fixing the remaining VR issues in the FSS. Several VR bugs are still present in the release. It's frustrating having to choose between playing in VR, and being able to see orbit lines and the blue blobs and the additional information they can provide.

2) I still wish we could use it on the move. If I find something interesting, I'd like to be able to start moving towards it, and search a system while on the move. Not to mention I'd also like to be able to use the FSS to take closer look at a destination, so I can plan my braking maneuver.

And now, on with the show!

The Initial Insertion
- When entering a new system, I prefer to park myself right beside the star, honking on the way. While that big sphere of fusing hydrogen can block out part of the sky, it makes catching potential eclipses much easier. I see that this star has an asteroid belt relatively close to my location, plus I automatically discover the closest planet to the star, since I'm so close to it.

The Honk's Results - The results of the honk tells me two things about the system. One is that it has 17 bodies, which makes it a small system, so this guide won't be too long. ;) The other is I don't immediately see the orbital plane of the system, so I'm probably near one of the star's poles. I'll need to look up to find the orbital plane.

First Look at the System - Ah, the waveform guide. At a glance, it tells me three things. One is that there are at least two gas giants in the system. With so few bodies, I'll be surprised if there's two. The second is that there are there are rocky bodies and icy bodies in the system. Finally, one of those icy bodies has rings. May be worth a closer look if there's nothing else interesting in the system.

The Gas Giants - A quick adjustment of the tuner tells me that there's a typical gas giant without rings, and a helium heavy gas giant with rings in the system. More evidence that there's probably only two gas giants in the system.

The First Gas Giant
- I set my tuner between the two gas giant signals so that I'll be able to see the arrows for both, and pan towards the star and upwards to acquire the orbital plane. At this stage, I'm not interested in taking a closer look at the gas giants, but finding out where they are. I can take a closer look later. I find the ringed gas giant right away, just above the star's horizon.

Searching for the Smaller Worlds- Having found the one right away, I set my tuner into the smaller worlds of the system. If I see a blob without arrows, I'll know its the second gas giant. I find an icy body right away. When I put the targeting reticle over it, I see there's more than one body there. Could it be a binary planet? Or is it just a planet/moon combination?

Nope. Just a moon.

Curse you Muscle Memory - When I next spot the icy world with rings, I forget I'm supposed to be taking screen shots, and let instinct take over.

Found the other Gas Giant - I complete my pan through the system by finding the second gas giant. There's a total of five bodies, so the rest are probably moons. Might as well start resolving resolving them. I also notice that the orbit lines of the system follow closely with the orbital plane. If there was a high degree of inclination, I'd know to look for a highly inclined body opposite the orbital lines.

Probably Only Two Moons - Which means that the rest of them are around the first gas giant I found. There's always a chance of a binary moon, though.

Definitely Two Moons - That means that the first gas giant should have eight moons.

The First Gas Giant - My hypothesis is that this giant has eight moons. I see only five other blobs. Since the system's orbit lines aren't highly inclined, it isn't likely there's a rogue planet in the system. Here's hoping there's some binary moons here. Time to find out what's here! :D

That's a lot of Rocky bodies - It looks like there may be eight here after all. Right away, I see there's two moons very close together. Could it be a binary moon?

Nope. But two of those moons have geological sites, so I'll be heading this way. I select the first one I find instinctively. I love how this planetary system is almost completely perpendicular to me.

Another pair of close moons
- Given that this pair of moons is farther out, I have much higher hopes that they're a binary pair.

It is. I can tell because the orbital lines for this moon is around a mutual barycenter which is not the gas giant.

Looking at the Complete System Map
- Having resolved the last of the moons, I look at the system map. While there, I realized I never actually looked at the planet the FSS detected automatically. Good thing I did, because it also had geological sites.

I spend the rest of this play session exploring the rest of the system, probing worlds and landing on them. This is why I enjoy the FSS so much. Not only am I discovering a system, as opposed to being handed a completed system map, but I discover other things along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Darkfyre, I agree totally. The new system gives me a feeling of discovery which the honk alone never did.

Great post, thanks. It is understandable that the changes aren't for all but I'm really enjoying it all.

Thanks again for a nice look at the FSS.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this too. I am (was?) a traveller explorer mainly. I'm gradually working out my new exploration "flow", and finding that I'm enjoying it more. My criteria for determining how interesting a system is, has had to adjust quite a bit. But now that I'm starting to get used to it, I can relax into it and just enjoy the process of discovery.

But your not exploring now , you just sit there and play the Nintendo game and say " yay I am exploring " lol , The old system you honked ... looked at map see if anything interesting to visit or just leave for the next system , this is too long to find out you need to move on. each system just got a whole lot longer to do and has become boring , there's no ` feel ` of exploring ,just a ` feel ` of sitting at a desk using a scanner....sad face

Also the lighting, it all goes together. Getting a much better sense of being there.

I was sitting typing to someone, with a white star in my eyes, and the glare, combined with the shine of my cockpit, it really felt like I was there. wow

Scytale

Banned
But your not exploring now , you just sit there and play the Nintendo game and say " yay I am exploring " lol , The old system you honked ... looked at map see if anything interesting to visit or just leave for the next system , this is too long to find out you need to move on. each system just got a whole lot longer to do and has become boring , there's no ` feel ` of exploring ,just a ` feel ` of sitting at a desk using a scanner....sad face

This ^

Old = jump, honk, map, fly, auto discover. How is this any more "exploring" than the new system"? Is that the definition of "the right way"? Pffffft!
The system has changed and for a lot of us for the better. One man's boring is another man's treasure.

Well done, FD! You have given this old dog new tricks to learn and I'm loving it.

As I was using the FSS for the first time, I couldn't help but continually thinking to myself that this would be an activity a Cmdr could assign to a crew member, either NPC or human. The requirement to be at minimum accelleration kept slapping me up side the head each time I thought that.

A lot of people who held your view and even rage quit the game are now coming back and after having tried it are really enjoying it. It's very easy to reduce a change to a game in a way that makes it sound pathetic. I could do the same about the old system. But this argument has been done to death.

End of the day a lot of people, including myself, are LOVING it. So dismissing what we are all enjoying as pathetic is just baiting for an argument. I'd say let's just let it go now.

Please avoid personal attacks and going off topic as per forum rules. This is a thread about what's good about FSS, the OP has gone to a lot of effort to explain why they love it. Mocking FSS and the people that enjoy it is at best off-topic so a notice to all that this will not be tolerated in this thread.

Yep the old system was really great, as you arrived a system you "honked" and get the full map of the system, you look at the system map and can realize if there is something cool to tag, so you see a ELW some 500.000ls away, you already know because the honk reveled its a ELW but you need to get close, very close so your DSS can scan that body and register that discovery, tag it if its a 1st one. this fellow CMDRs is exploration.

Now you enter a system, honk and it only tells you the number o bodies in the system, to get more information you need to use the FSS, shame on you, and them imagine, you need to search for the signs using that radio kind of tool!!! really!!! you can even get all the USS locations and imagine you don't need to SC for hours just to find that HGE. And with the new DSS you don't need to struggle to find that POI you want...and in the meantime you are really playing the game....

Again, please follow the rules. The OP has gone to a lot of effort to explain something, and if you are going to respond to that explanation, then that is considered on topic. If you want to make your own point, then you should start your own thread about it.

I am not saying you have to like FSS, but please read the forum rules about what is considered off topic.

On the contrary, I feel like I’m exploring more than ever now. Finding surface POI’s, flying down to surfaces, investigating signal sources, studying planet details, looking at the Orrery map. I also don’t understand the sentiment that exploring in 3.3 consists of only looking at the blue blobs in the FSS? My time with the new mechanics has resulted in a lot more time spent flying and probing than actual time in the FSS itself. The feeling of discovery in 3.3 is much greater for me than it’s been over the past four years.

There is so much more to exploration in 3.3 than just the FSS itself.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Stay on topic please and leave out the personal remarks.

First off, to the OP: it's a decently detailed illustration. Well done!
However, this is just one system. I wonder if many will do five thousand.

Now, I hope this isn't going to be classified as off-topic, since I wish to reply to what drkaii posted here.

A lot of people who held your view and even rage quit the game are now coming back and after having tried it are really enjoying it.
No offense, but that seems to be your experience, and it doesn't mirror mine. Pretty much everyone I heard from who have quit (don't know anyone who rage quit) exploring haven't changed their minds after trying it live. It's the same as it was in the beta.

End of the day a lot of people, including myself, are LOVING it. So dismissing what we are all enjoying as pathetic is just baiting for an argument. I'd say let's just let it go now.
On the other hand, a lot of people, including myself, dislike it. So dismissing what we all no longer enjoy is bad as well.
Feedback has been given, plenty of good suggestions have also been given but Frontier didn't do any major changes, so that's that. The new system still has issues that I believe will be apparent to everyone over time, but hopefully, we'll get FSS 2.0 sometime later. Quite like what went on with Engineering 1.0 and 1.5 years later, 2.0.

Last edited:
Nice guide Darkfyre99! Thanks for updating this to a non-beta thread, I've updated the link from my "Best of Forum" thread accordingly.

First off, to the OP: it's a decently detailed illustration. Well done!
However, this is just one system. I wonder if many will do five thousand.

Now, I hope this isn't going to be classified as off-topic, since I wish to reply to what drkaii posted here.

No offense, but that seems to be your experience, and it doesn't mirror mine. Pretty much everyone I heard from who have quit (don't know anyone who rage quit) exploring haven't changed their minds after trying it live. It's the same as it was in the beta.

On the other hand, a lot of people, including myself, dislike it. So dismissing what we all no longer enjoy is bad as well.
Feedback has been given, plenty of good suggestions have also been given but Frontier didn't do any major changes, so that's that. The new system still has issues that I believe will be apparent to everyone over time, but hopefully, we'll get FSS 2.0 sometime later. Quite like what went on with Engineering 1.0 and 1.5 years later, 2.0.

No nothing here is off topic. To respond, yes my point was anecdotal. I don't want to say names but I know a few big names who said they were quitting and are now coming back. My only goal was to stop people from coming and dismissing the FSS mechanics as pathetic, and anecdotal evidence can be useful in that. Not as proof that FSS is good, but at least that it isn't pathetic.

Going on with that to answer your second point, I certainly was not dismissing the old way of doing things as pathetic, or people who find the new way as bad as worthy of dismissal. However I will say it is off topic, unless it is done with direct reference to the points made in the above, like you did when you said "I read it and I wonder if you will still say the same after 5000 jumps".

Top Bottom