The future of VR in Elite:Dangerous

From Wired:
'Sony president Shuhei Yoshida has said that making sure people actually enjoy their first VR experience is crucial, saying that "the danger is that the first time people try it is the most sensitive time."'

My first experience after buying a Rift was Oculus Dreamdeck. I found myself perched on a platform on the edge of a high-rise building in a cityscape - you know the one I mean..
I was nearly overcome with vertigo and dizzy terror on looking down. I was addicted from that point on. Nothing comes close. I would never consider playing ED on a flat monitor, even if I could be bothered to dig out my TrakHat kit again.

Sitting in the SRV makes it easier to digest as you have reference points. Walking in Skyrim VR however made me fairly uncomfortable after short play sessions (for which the game isn't designed for).

I think we'll see soon enough in NMS VR, which is oddly the only reason why I'm not selling my Rift at the moment.
I think this can be solved with a helmet HUD so your spacelegs become essentially a human sized vehicle.

But I'm a bit surprised that you can handle that SRV bouncing around but have issues with Skyrim VR. The SRV always felt like a more intense experience in terms of VR motion.

I think this can be solved with a helmet HUD so your spacelegs become essentially a human sized vehicle.

But I'm a bit surprised that you can handle that SRV bouncing around but have issues with Skyrim VR. The SRV always felt like a more intense experience in terms of VR motion.
Yeah, I find the SRV pretty intense and uncomfortable too. I haven't played Skyrim VR, but I have pretty solid VR legs and have no issue with 1st person movement generally (I comfortably played Alien Isolation and Subnautica). For me, it's the combination of the roughness of the terrain and the constant din of the engines.I try to spend as much time gliding as possible. Really wish they'd introduce some kind of hovercraft with more mellow sound design - I can't spend more than 30 minutes in the SRV without a break, and I always end up with a headache.

Yeah, I find the SRV pretty intense and uncomfortable too. I haven't played Skyrim VR, but I have pretty solid VR legs and have no issue with 1st person movement generally (I comfortably played Alien Isolation and Subnautica). For me, it's the combination of the roughness of the terrain and the constant din of the engines.I try to spend as much time gliding as possible. Really wish they'd introduce some kind of hovercraft with more mellow sound design - I can't spend more than 30 minutes in the SRV without a break, and I always end up with a headache.
At the risk of sounding obvious, you do fix horizon and switch the various options for bumps and roll blackouts, right? Makes the whole SRV experience far easier to deal with. (of course climbing steep terrain is slightly more challenging when you can't see the windows...)

I'm not saying that his comments aren't accurate, but this is hardly unbridled enthusiasm :):

“I have never believed [VR] would take off. Right from day one, I said it would be niche,” he noted. “[snip] And the other problem is, trying to use it in a family environment, it's really divisive. Because no one can see or hear what you're seeing.”

https://gamedaily.biz/article/194/david-braben-why-the-industry-needs-the-return-of-the-publisher
That last bit was a bit weird, using VR in a family environment? So what? I would argue gaming isn't really targeted towards families. In my experience, I think it's only the naughty Nintendo systems that are genuinely trying to be family orientated gaming systems, with the other systems having way more non-family friendly content than actual family orientated content.

My kids take it in turns to play VR games because they have to but they don't care. But I have to take turns with it when my GF plays. When I was a kid we'd take turns too. Didn't even consider it a problem.

I think now we have devices that no longer require external sensors which appear to do at least an alright job tracking, VR will become even more mainstream.

At the risk of sounding obvious, you do fix horizon and switch the various options for bumps and roll blackouts, right? Makes the whole SRV experience far easier to deal with. (of course climbing steep terrain is slightly more challenging when you can't see the windows...)
Thanks Kaltern - shamefully, I don't think that I have investigated the various options here... just using the defaults. I'll check them out.

That last bit was a bit weird, using VR in a family environment? So what? I would argue gaming isn't really targeted towards families. In my experience, I think it's only the naughty Nintendo systems that are genuinely trying to be family orientated gaming systems, with the other systems having way more non-family friendly content than actual family orientated content.

My kids take it in turns to play VR games because they have to but they don't care. But I have to take turns with it when my GF plays. When I was a kid we'd take turns too. Didn't even consider it a problem.

I think now we have devices that no longer require external sensors which appear to do at least an alright job tracking, VR will become even more mainstream.
I can see what he is saying, it can be a little anti-social, but as you say gaming is often fairly a solitary experience. I guess he means that there's even more of a gulf between what the user is experiencing and what any observer can see (watching someone play on a 2D system can still represent a shared experience I guess). Still, hardly a fatal flaw in VR.

Thanks Kaltern - shamefully, I don't think that I have investigated the various options here... just using the defaults. I'll check them out.
It made a huge difference for me, went from feeling queasy and headachey within a few minutes to being able to drive around for half an hour or so, and eventually to where I am now, where getting bored of it stops me first.

Apart from lifting your headset, breaking the immersion, to scribble the message down on a piece of paper, has anyone come up with a good way of recording the audible Eagle Eye messages?

The best suggestion i have is to use Oculus Dash and have a notepad window pinned into my cockpit, to allow me to type the code in, either by looking down the nosegap or using a virtual keyboard. It'd be a lot easier if FD had the beacons send a message too or provided some form of integrated VR knee-board.

Unless I'm missing something, the Eagle Eye beacons look to be a feature for which the game designers have forgotten about VR.

Top Bottom