The Galapagos Tortoise needs her Name to be fixed

I've read a Comment that the Galapagos Tortoise in the Game is a extinct Species according to the Zoopedia and Education Board (If I remember correctly it's C. nigra which according to Wikipedia is already extinct since 1846). Please fix this to the Name of a living Species with a fitting Appearance

In this case, C. nigra can refer to the entire species complex, mainly because there is some debate over the taxonomy for Galapagos tortoises, ie. subspecies or full species for each island population. I would imagine most Galapagos tortoises in real life zoos are probably hybrids or come from an unknown lineage, so C. nigra is probably the most accurate descriptor (using it as the type specimen for the entire species complex, which is the convention)

In this case, C. nigra can refer to the entire species complex, mainly because there is some debate over the taxonomy for Galapagos tortoises, ie. subspecies or full species for each island population. I would imagine most Galapagos tortoises in real life zoos are probably hybrids or come from an unknown lineage, so C. nigra is probably the most accurate descriptor (using it as the type specimen for the entire species complex, which is the convention)
In this case I don’t agree that the included animal can be considered to represent the whole complex, since the species within it are too morphologically distinct from each other to be represented accurately with a single model. Nor is there much to be gained from using the broader designation, since it does not effectively affect the range or climate in-game. On those bases they should select a single Galapagos species (that matches the model) and change the scientific name and zoopedia appropriately.

This is exactly my point, breeding Galápagos tortoise isn't a really common event (only one zoo in Europe has archived it yet) and it's almost impossible to get pure lineages, so we would probably end with something similar as the Proboscis monkey. And as you said, there's still a lot of debate about the Chelonoidis species, specially the C. nigra complex. So I can't see any point in changing its name.

I visited a zoo recently that had a Galapagos tortoise breeding program. I don’t think they distinguished the specific species and just called them Galapagos tortoises but I think they’re mostly hybrids in captivity so maybe the name for the whole complex is ok but I’d prefer it be changed to a more specific Alive species

Top Bottom