The galaxy map commodities filter is unusable due to showing inaccurate prices

actually the january update patch notes are claiming that the proposal of showing price for current cargo is forwarded to the devs for further improvements :)
Amazing how just getting a correctly functioning feature is cause for such celebration, we could be expecting so much more.

Docked at fleet carrier who buys Painate for 645K Cr. Demand is 3000t. I had about 180t Painate. Price at commodity market IS still 645K Cr when I docked. When I clicked to sell, it says I'll get around 118 mil. Cr. But, I got about 80 mil. Cr. after transaction. I am aware of "bulk sale fee".
That's a lot of fun! Lovely Jubbly! Selling is like a box of chocolate, you'll never know what you gonna get.

I am kind a spoiled brat who's used to shop goods in real life for prices which are labeled on items I purchase. It is common practice in Europe, but it seems it works in different way at some star system 130 Ly away from Earth.
If game developers could re-code market transactions which include "bulk sale fee" into final price? I don't mind how much fee would be, but I'd love not to feel cheated/scammed every time I dock to station to sell commodities without knowing how much I'm getting payed.

People in USA, probably have a lot of fun when they purchase items without knowing exact price until they get to cashier. Sell prices in shops are presented without value-added tax (VAT). I hope that USA will never ever invade Europe. It would be such a :)

Sure. Whatever the number is, all I'm asking for is that the galaxy map shows accurate numbers based on my current state. If I have 200 tons of cargo, then I open the galaxy map and start checking import prices, it should show what I would get if I docked right now. Otherwise I fly to the station, and can't tell if I get hit by the tax until I dock.

my interpretation is this was always done on purpose. all info on the gal map is last known and may/more than likely is outdated. you don't get updated information until you scan the nav beacon or dock or purchase up to date trade info. i always felt it was an attempt to encourage 'exploration' or having to work to find good trade routes, hot spots, etc., forcing players to interact more with the galaxy.

Docked at fleet carrier who buys Painate for 645K Cr. Demand is 3000t. I had about 180t Painate. Price at commodity market IS still 645K Cr when I docked. When I clicked to sell, it says I'll get around 118 mil. Cr. But, I got about 80 mil. Cr. after transaction. I am aware of "bulk sale fee".
That's a lot of fun! Lovely Jubbly! Selling is like a box of chocolate, you'll never know what you gonna get.

I am kind a spoiled brat who's used to shop goods in real life for prices which are labeled on items I purchase. It is common practice in Europe, but it seems it works in different way at some star system 130 Ly away from Earth.
If game developers could re-code market transactions which include "bulk sale fee" into final price? I don't mind how much fee would be, but I'd love not to feel cheated/scammed every time I dock to station to sell commodities without knowing how much I'm getting payed.

People in USA, probably have a lot of fun when they purchase items without knowing exact price until they get to cashier. Sell prices in shops are presented without value-added tax (VAT). I hope that USA will never ever invade Europe. It would be such a :)
bulktax does not apply to fleetcarrier markets, and it never applies after selling. so i'd say that's a bug. maybe the owner changed the price while you have been at selling?

I love the way it promises great profits for a commodity that is actually:
A) illegal so you will always get 25% less
B) might not even be a black market so no way to actually sell the goods

I love the way it promises great profits for a commodity that is actually:
A) illegal so you will always get 25% less
B) might not even be a black market so no way to actually sell the goods
I've bug reported that one a few times (the report gets wiped after each patch, so I resubmit it when I can find enough time to refresh the details). It seems to work off a default commodity list for each station, without regard for whether certain good's legal status has changed due to the current controlling faction, etc. So you get some goods marked as illegal when viewed in the galaxy map trading screen when they're currently not, and more commonly vice versa. The commodity market just seems to ignore the legal status.

With regard to the accuracy of the prices shown, they're accurate at the moment you view them but don't account for your current cargo. You don't need to visit the station to get them to update (other than the first visit to a station in the system to make them available). That said, the actual price once you get there may be affected by bulk tax or changes in faction states (if the daily BGS 'tick' happens while in transit). Carrier prices are player-set and so aren't affected by the bulk tax or state effects, but can be changed at any moment by the player and changes can take a while to be shared across the servers.

btw. - if you like to see something something really fun, compare galactic average right hand panel to galactic average in the commodity market...
That may be caused by a current bug where the commodity market screen sometimes says 'Galactic Average' at the top of the column while it's actually set to a specific station.

Prices are fixed on carriers, no matter what the current demand is. The price can only change if the owner changes the price. Bulk tax only applies to ports.

@OP - Station data is not going to be completely accurate, the prices will fluctuate, you are not the only cmdr selling that commodity to the port. Bulk tax obviously varies based on how much you are trying to sell to the market. Prices will not update until you actually visit the port and sell.

Last edited:
If you have NPC crew they take a cut of profits

I think that might be a reason. Didn't tested it yet, but it is very likely, since I find no one have similar complaints regarding income.
Since I'm noob with some experience, I didn't expected that NPC crew takes cut even if they are not traveling with me on my mining missions.
I'll notify my HR department with request to end contracts with hired NPC pilots. I'll take another Painate mission and see what happens. I can hire another crew anytime.
Corporate greed should not be underestimated :)
Thanks for the tip

I find the map prices fine for casual mission running etc when I don't care about min/maxing on profit / distance, but am more interested in just staying 'in the game'. Which I guess is what it was written for, rather than those looking to min/max their profits.

My main issue is that the in-game tools give little idea of supply levels - number of times I've turned up wanting to buy my mission goods to be confronted the a market supply of only 2T. That makes me a bit sad ...

I think that might be a reason. Didn't tested it yet, but it is very likely, since I find no one have similar complaints regarding income.
Since I'm noob with some experience, I didn't expected that NPC crew takes cut even if they are not traveling with me on my mining missions.
I'll notify my HR department with request to end contracts with hired NPC pilots. I'll take another Painate mission and see what happens. I can hire another crew anytime.
Corporate greed should not be underestimated :)
Thanks for the tip

If you're not interested in training them up from 'Harmless' to keep the cost down you can always hire and then fire immediately before you hand in the mission(s). That way you just have the initial recruitment cost to cover and no wages.

If you're not interested in training them up from 'Harmless' to keep the cost down you can always hire and then fire immediately before you hand in the mission(s). That way you just have the initial recruitment cost to cover and no wages.

Dude, Thanks a LOT !
You gave me solution in just few simple words :) How awesome it is ?
That was exactly what was issue. Two hired NPCs took 24% cut from all my profits even when I'm not taking them on trip. They are fired :)
I sold half loaded cargo of my T 9 heavy and got exactly as said.

bulktax does not apply to fleetcarrier markets, and it never applies after selling. so i'd say that's a bug. maybe the owner changed the price while you have been at selling?

Or, more likely...

Crew, both active & sat at the bar....

(Well and truly ninja'd)

The one major point in this is that the in game is only as good as the last tick (daily update) or your last dock at that station, whichever is the most recent.
Hence why people run the third party apps EDMC and Inara or EDDB. That way, the most recent price and demand/supply of any Cmdr is that which is displayed. It was these tools in part that made the mining rush on LTDs and Void Opals before that possible. Without them, it would have been a harder to find those high-end prices consistently.

Top Bottom