The game is now in a worse state than before 3.1

Several long standing, well reported bugs are still in the game. 3 examples: massacre mission targets are not flagged and do not count towards the mission, skimmers have no faction or bounty information, destroying an npc's powerplant has no effect on their ship. Meanwhile, a whole bunch of new issues have appeared. Overall, the update is a step backwards for the game.

We did get a couple of new ships and the wires in the conda got a tweak.
I'm not sure this level of despair is truly warranted,but hey,I guess it was only a matter of time.

We did get a couple of new ships and the wires in the conda got a tweak.
I'm not sure this level of despair is truly warranted,but hey,I guess it was only a matter of time.

It's less despair than frustration really. I'd rather they fix gameplay bugs than add new ships. I read someone saying that the conda cockpit looks exactly the same though so... *shrug*

It's less despair than frustration really. I'd rather they fix gameplay bugs than add new ships. I read someone saying that the conda cockpit looks exactly the same though so... *shrug*
In fairness I couldn't see any difference to the wires,I'm waiting for a comparison unless it was a bit of a joke.
I think if FD were a little more transparent about long standing bugs,for instance certain bugs might require future content being added before it makes sense to fix it. I'm just assuming it's way more involved than just fixing it.

Several long standing, well reported bugs are still in the game. 3 examples: massacre mission targets are not flagged and do not count towards the mission, skimmers have no faction or bounty information, destroying an npc's powerplant has no effect on their ship. Meanwhile, a whole bunch of new issues have appeared. Overall, the update is a step backwards for the game.

I appreciate the new ships, but I'm annoyed "beyond" measure with Frontier's handling of bugs in this game. As someone who used to be a programmer, I can't even image having the lack of pride in one's own work to leave bugs unfixed for months and months. Are these guys & gals being paid minimum wage and thus don't care, or are they just not good at their job? Or perhaps more likely, management is wasting their time with endless meetings and other nonsense so that they can't do their jobs properly..

Whatever the reason, Frontier needs to figure it out.

Beyond Chapter 3 should probably be all bug fixes. The could advertise all the features that don't work correctly now and make them work in 3.2!

Anyway, I'm not in the same state of despair some seem to be in, but I am disappointed at the level of long-ago-reported bugs that are clearly bugs that are still present or that have become worse over time. Features taking precedent over basic functionality and bugs being ignored in the push for ever more content bullet points is a very legitimate complaint.

Breath into a paper bag for a week or two, then get back to us.

Hey, I don't mind reassessing in a couple of weeks and changing my opinion if they fix the most egregious stuff up. Do me a favour and keep an eye on the bug report forum over the same period and see if your opinion changes as well.

I appreciate the new ships, but I'm annoyed "beyond" measure with Frontier's handling of bugs in this game. As someone who used to be a programmer, I can't even image having the lack of pride in one's own work to leave bugs unfixed for months and months. Are these guys & gals being paid minimum wage and thus don't care, or are they just not good at their job? Or perhaps more likely, management is wasting their time with endless meetings and other nonsense so that they can't do their jobs properly..

Maybe a skeleton crew is maintaining the game and pushing out Beyond while the bulk of the work force is toiling away building atmos & space legs & other great things for paid dlc to come!

As a programmer I suspect it's the case of I'd rather work on this shinny new feature than go back and wrestle with bugs that have been around months or even years!
( if they were simple to fix they would have got fixed! - I know I cherry pick simple bugs sometimes just to get them off my list - but bigger bugs take weeks of work and often no one notices when they are finally fixed! ).

As a programmer I suspect it's the case of I'd rather work on this shinny new feature than go back and wrestle with bugs that have been around months or even years!

I actually enjoyed debugging my own code and making it even better - for me writing code was kinda like sculpting a statue out of rock, chiseling away the cruft until only 'perfection' remained. Debugging someone else's code is something I absolutely dreaded, especially if it was poorly-commented spaghetti code. That said, building shiny new things on a crap foundation only results in shiny new crap.

Hey, I don't mind reassessing in a couple of weeks and changing my opinion if they fix the most egregious stuff up. Do me a favour and keep an eye on the bug report forum over the same period and see if your opinion changes as well.

Will do. Every patch is followed by bugs, and an increase in bug reports, and frustration. I was getting pretty worked up over mission reward items needed for unlocks no longer appearing in game a patch or two back, it can be frustrating.

I'm guessing in a couple of weeks most of the bugs will be ironed out, just like every other time.

Will do. Every patch is followed by bugs, and an increase in bug reports, and frustration. I was getting pretty worked up over mission reward items needed for unlocks no longer appearing in game a patch or two back, it can be frustrating.

I'm guessing in a couple of weeks most of the bugs will be ironed out, just like every other time.

Thanks for your reasoned discourse. I see myself as a generally optimistic person and I would dearly like to feel the way you do. As you say, frustration can be pretty overwhelming and it does no one any good to get carried away. That said, some of the issues in my original post have persisted over many months and no one is really able to say why. I'm sure they are going to bust a gut fixing the new issues, its hard to see when the long standing stuff will get fixed. If not in the update patch then when? With no information and only speculation to go on, it's easy to assume the worst, that we will be living with them for a while to come.

Rafe Zetter

Banned
( if they were simple to fix they would have got fixed! - I know I cherry pick simple bugs sometimes just to get them off my list - but bigger bugs take weeks of work and often no one notices when they are finally fixed! ).

Then there's the other possibility "we have these bugs, but people keep buying and playing the game, so why should we waste and money time fixing them?"

Rafe Zetter

Banned

Because we all know and respect the high level of testing they perform on new content before it gets released.....

"Just like every other time"????? are you kidding me?

When exactly?

Existing bugs that are YEARS old would not exist AT ALL, if they took a couple of weeks to iron them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom