The Games Store Wars: Ubisoft

Ubi won't be selling The Division 2 through Steam, but instead head to Epic's new hat emporium:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/9/18174375/division-2-pc-epic-games-store-steam

The Division 2 will be semi-exclusive to the Epic Games Store on Windows PC. Ubisoft will also sell the PC version through its own online storefront, but The Division 2 won’t be released through Steam, which previously featured a product page for the game.

Since it will probably be featuring a PUBG Battle Royale mode (because let's be serious there will be one), it will fit right in :p

Ubi won't be selling The Division 2 through Steam, but instead head to Epic's new hat emporium:

Since it will probably be featuring a PUBG Battle Royale mode (because let's be serious there will be one), it will fit right in :p

I've had some good deals from both the Ubi store and the Epic one...Subnautica for free from Epic and various deals and freebies through the Ubi store like AC Black Flag and Watchdogs for free or several discounts on Ubi games...Like 25% off the Gold version of AC Odyssey or the Division with season pass for £15... that weren't reflected in the Steam versions.

Last edited:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd rather buy directly from whoever makes a game or someone who isn't Steam (even Humble, although I challenge you to buy and activate Elite through them… talk about giving the gift of work).

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd rather buy directly from whoever makes a game or someone who isn't Steam (even Humble, although I challenge you to buy and activate Elite through them… talk about giving the gift of work).

I agree. regardless if you save a few bucks by going through epic or one of the other distributors you are going to have to have an uplay account in order to play the game so epic in this case will be nothing but an additional reroute PLUS if you ever have technical problems or issues with the game the platform will do jack crap for you anyway instead directing you to the producing company. World of Warships and EVE online both available via steam have a history or problems in this regard. I can see the trade-off if you get a heavy discount or a game for free but 10 or 20% wont cut it for me (Ubisoft store has an inbuild 20% off feature if you have coins and wait till a game isnt "new" anymore)

I personally don't care where a game is released and now since I started to play on the xbox one x a few months back I care even less. I am mostly a single player and despite having +300 games on steam i have no friends on that platform. At the same time i understand why some people could be mad at it but I read somewhere that instead of the 70% share from sales ubi got from valve they will get if i am not mistaken 90% from Epic.

Otoh, you can buy it from the UBI store directly so why using Epic's store? ;)

GOG all the way for me. It's all about the standalone installers and that i can pay with paysafe vouchers (so i need never put credit card info online).

I will admit the only reason i signed up for the Epic Store was to get Subnautica free, and i can play that fine off line (bonus).

Steam (and anything like it) is a no go for a variety of reasons (Steam-as-DRM, dangerous levels of control over PC gaming etc).

GOG all the way for me. It's all about the standalone installers and that i can pay with paysafe vouchers (so i need never put credit card info online).

I will admit the only reason i signed up for the Epic Store was to get Subnautica free, and i can play that fine off line (bonus).

Steam (and anything like it) is a no go for a variety of reasons (Steam-as-DRM, dangerous levels of control over PC gaming etc).

I haven't used a credit or debit card in any online transaction for 20 years... that's what Paypal is for.

So many tinfoil hat conspiracies in one post...

Last edited:
With the Chinese and Russians hacking everything and everyone, i just prefer to keep my banking details off line (ymmv).

I haven't used a credit or debit card in any online transaction for 20 years... that's what Paypal is for.

So many tinfoil hat conspiracies in one post...

Welcome to the community forum.

It is possible to use a PayPal account without a card or bank account but only for a short time. If you are receiving money which you are spending this would also create the need to verify your PayPal using a card or a bank.

You don't need to pay using that funding source if you don't wish to but you would need to eventually add it to verify your PayPal account.

I hope this answers your question.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5...-credit-card-bank-details-to-your/td-p/413381

You might not know how the paysafe voucher works?

I put zero bank info online to use it to buy games, as in zero info online. It's 100% secure system, whereas PayPal not so much. And as GOG is the only online game store that allows PaySafe payments, that is where my money goes. That is all :)

Last edited:
With the Chinese and Russians hacking everything and everyone, i just prefer to keep my banking details off line (ymmv).

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5...-credit-card-bank-details-to-your/td-p/413381

You might not know how the paysafe voucher works?

I put zero bank info online to use it to buy games, as in zero info online. It's 100% secure system, whereas PayPal not so much. And as GOG is the only online game store that allows PaySafe payments, that is where my money goes. That is all :)

Still all a bit tinfoil hat for me...but I admire your resiliance all the same.

Doesn't have any features for customers to express their opinion about the game. No rating system, no reviews. Weak excuse about "prevention of review bombing" is just that - an excuse. It's a definite no for me.
And it doesn't even matter if you think user reviews are helpful or not, it's the fact that there is no system in place right at the store front for actual customers to tell what they think about the game. Surely will make changing games retroactively, such as adding microtransactions post launch after all the big review sites have posted their scores less painful. For them. That's not a tinfoil hat rant, that's what gaming industry has been trying to do for a very long while now. Take the voice from the consumer. By completely buying off pretty much whole gaming media turning it into one of their marketing tools, nothing else. And by being openly against user reviews in general. Wonder why neither Uplay or Origin has user reviews...

Last edited:
I avoid third-party clients, and for any offline game, any sort of persistent DRM.

Epic Games seems to require the use of their launcher to install and play titles from their store, so that rules out my patronage. Same goes for anything that requires Steam, uPlay, or Origin.

Everything your bank knows about you is online. It's still true that there is less exposure than if you spread the info around various e-tailers, but banks can be, and occasionally are, compromised.

Still all a bit tinfoil hat for me...but I admire your resiliance all the same.

I DID have a paypal account years ago, i needed it for some ebay stuff i did back then, but over the last decade we have seen a huge push from the Chinese, Russian and N.Koreans in terms of hacking 'western' companies. So i decided to scale back my exposure to that.

I never was a Steam fan (had early discussions with some of the developers and we disagreed on the 'always online' aspect built into it's dna etc) and have watched it grow to totally dominate and i would argue distort PC gaming.

Sure it did 'save' PC gaming in the dark days of console dominance in the AAA's but that time is well past, but the influence of Steam is nearly all pervasive and growing more so; just look at the mess of MP in NMS (GOG vs Steam versions) and other games, Steams built in mod plug-ins (and how that influences a games ability to be enjoyed without Steam etc).

I avoid third-party clients, and for any offline game, any sort of persistent DRM.

Epic Games seems to require the use of their launcher to install and play titles from their store, so that rules out my patronage. Same goes for anything that requires Steam, uPlay, or Origin.

100% with you on all that, however while i did need the Epic Games installer to download Subnautica, i do not need it to run the game, i can launch the games .exe directly. Now it seems a recent patch to the Epic Games installer has disabled that, which is another reason i dislike clients like Steam that decide to update stuff that might break functionality (for me). I have since unistalled the Epic Games installer (as i don't need it for anything else) and can still play Subnautica. I feel a little bad about that, but we need less 'Steam-likes' and more GOG-likes in the game space imho (just for the DRM free aspect).

Everything your bank knows about you is online. It's still true that there is less exposure than if you spread the info around various e-tailers, but banks can be, and occasionally are, compromised.

Well i have faith a bank will fully reimburse me if they get hacked, and sort out the mess of that. I have less faith in that happening if those details have been stolen from all manner of third party sites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom