The GLFrontier Thread

ok.
If i start a new game i sell everything except the interstellar, interplanetary drives as well as the autopilot (in the ship overview it is also shown as mounted).
As the next step i open the star map, go onto system view and see those ***** all arround the central star. After zooming in onto a base i would normally click on a red button on the lower right on the screen to tell the autopilot to go there - but this button is missing...
So.. what i would like to know is if i have forgot something or if there is a chance of error? I guess the first is right since such a bug would have been more prominent i guess..

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
I seem to remember there was occasions where the autopilot wouldn't select the required destination. So it's probably not you. I used to have the same problem. Try uninstalling and reinstalling he autopilot.

And welcome to the forum.

THanks for the welcome.
Well, i tried to.. several times, and it still not works :0(
Is there a preferred build i should download? Or some hiont of how to install (well, the game runs, hence i think it is installed correctly?)

THanks for the welcome.
Well, i tried to.. several times, and it still not works :0(
Is there a preferred build i should download? Or some hiont of how to install (well, the game runs, hence i think it is installed correctly?)
Well, in my version of GLFrontier the icon you describe does appear. If it isn't there - and therefore you can't select it - try hitting F10 before clicking on the place you want to go to.

doesnt work as well...
I think i will simply blame my PC...
Curious. I just downloaded both Windows binary versions of GLFrontier, selected start point 1 (Ross 154) and the autopilot icon was there both times :confused:
The only difference was that the orbital icon doesn't work in the newer version (you have to push F2 to get it).
You may have a flaky PC after all...

it is also possible that i simply dont recall the symbol anymore after all these years, but we ARE talking about the F10 icon which is normally a red blip?

I think I know what is your problem.

After entering star chart [f2] you enter system chart [f6] then remote orbital map [f10], but you should enter local orbital map [f2 again] instead.
Am I correct?

It is not possible to set the autopilot using remote orbital map - the icon is empty, only local orbital map allows you to do that.

Also, you're playing GLFrontier, not GLFFE?

BTW: Notice how you can't get the remote map when locking on an unexplored system.
Yeah, that makes sense. Telescopes have been used to determine the star type, but planetary information can only be obtained by visiting the system.
It's a bit ironic that by the year 3200 telescopes don't have the resolution to find extra-solar planets, when in Real Life 2009 we are getting tantalisingly close to being able to see Earth-size planets :rolleyes:

Yeah, that makes sense. Telescopes have been used to determine the star type, but planetary information can only be obtained by visiting the system.
It's a bit ironic that by the year 3200 telescopes don't have the resolution to find extra-solar planets, when in Real Life 2009 we are getting tantalisingly close to being able to see Earth-size planets :rolleyes:
Something that should be fixed in E4. :D

I'd love to see the good old red warning plastered over orbital map missing smaller bodies and having larger ones covered by low-res textures.

Controls in GLfrontier

I've been playin alot of GLfrontier on my laptop top recently but can't seem to work out how to stop or slow down while in flight. Enter works fine to accelerate but shift (what I thought was used to slow down) doesn't do anything. Is there another key combo I can use to reduce speed. I used to do lots of mining in the game when I played it back on the amiga but with no slow down I can't manually land on planets.

If infact I can't fix this I might just dig out the amiga copy and play it with UAE so onto my next question, can I copy the save from the GLfrontier and use it in the Amiga version??

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Hi Unite, Welcome to the forum.

The save games are interchangable between PC versions of the game, Not sure if they can be played on UAE...One way to find out though :D

The Shift key is the correct one for slowing down.

Thanks for the replys. Not sure whats going on then, the shift key ain't working for whatever reason (****** vista no doubt). Will try the save with UAE and let you know if it works, failing that might just get the DOS version out and play it through dosbox or I could even dust off the A1200 hmmmm that could be a good idea :)

Top Bottom