The GLFrontier Thread

The save games are interchangable between PC versions of the game

Corrolary:

GLFrontier is reverse-engineered Atari version with bits of emulator code stuck in and (rather sloppy) GL-support added, aside from true to original display mode.

Saves from GLFrontier won't really work with any other version.
For best experience I'd recommend PC version running in DOSBox (textures, the best colours, least bugs), but do mind that DOSBox itself is rather resource intensive.

As for the shift key, I don't know the source of the problem, but I hazily remember someone else having some similar issue under Vista - using the search function might be fruitful.

If you're desperate you might try slowing down with your main thruster while flying backwards - in fact, putting the ship in "engines-off" (I *so* love this misnomer :rolleyes: ) mode, accelerating on full-burn halfway to the target, then flipping your ship so you're facing away from your destination, switching to rear view and decelerating using your main thruster is the fastest possible, (aside from bug exploits), if somewhat demanding and fuel consuming way to get somewhere.

P.S. Switch ship to engines-off mode in combat! With good thruster-work no less-manoeuvrable enemy will ever shake you off, and I'm talking about the "see the type of the missiles they carry" distances here.

glFrontier - old saved games?

Hi, great to find this forum...who'd have thought it so many years on.

Remember fondly breaking into the school computer lab in the middle of the night to play Elite on their BBC Micros...:eek:

Remember reading the manuals for Frontier cover to cover, including all the stories from the Frontier....waiting for my very first PC 486 DX2, 50 Mhz to arrive. (must dig those manuals out sometime, pretty sure I still have the wall chart as well.)

So I've taken a look at glFFE...and enjoyed playing it, although progressing up the ranks seems a bit quick!!!

However, longed to get back into my old Viper Defence Craft in Frontier...

Loaded up glFroniter...but wouldn't load my saved games...:( no...is my ship lost forever?

Got DosBox up and running...

elite.jpg

Yey....it works.

So now, anyway I can use my saved games in the gl version?

Time to polish up my dog-fighting skills...and see if this retired commander still has what it takes to be ELITE. :D

So now, anyway I can use my saved games in the gl version?
Nope.

Besides, glFrontier is, in spite of being a great thing overall, an inferior version - it's based on Atari version of Frontier, so no textures, and it's OpenGL renderer is rather atrocious - eating fine details like continents and making stars hideously dark green up close - high resolution doesn't quite make up for that, so you're stuck with old renderer if you want the game to look good, and with original renderer it's just originally pixelized original Frontier, only without textures, while DOS version has those.
Sure, if for some reason you can't or do not want to run Frontier in DOSBox, play GLFrontier - you will surely have a blast - I did, but if you have access to DOS version, use it, especially if you want to use your old saves.

Thanks for info...

bombing.jpg

Still got some of the old magic. :D

Man, my heart was pounding trying to get that ship into the atmosphere on approach...

It is running OK in DosBox, but had a few crashes. :confused:

Time to dig out an old laptop and get original DOS installed I think, think I've still got a working 486...guess it will be too fast on a Pentium 166.

i wouldn't, keep playing in dos-box, to me everything works fine, speed is not processor related (the game is that fast). playing in dos-box gives you the advantage of a full joystick control, by mapping keys to your joystick.;)

did you tried FFED3D?

listed below my .conf file for frontier/ffe, it's ment to use with dos-box 0.73
(front.conf)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1600x1000
windowresolution=1280x800
output=ddraw
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=D:\Spiele\Frontier\FE2\CAPTURE
memsize=16

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal3x

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=max
cycleup=500
cycledown=500

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=win32
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sbpro2
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=1
sbmixer=false
oplmode=auto
oplemu=compat
oplrate=44100

[gus]
gus=false

[speaker]
pcspeaker=false
pcrate=44100
disney=false
tandy=auto

[joystick]
joysticktype=2axis
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=us

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

you have to edit this to compare to your system of course (capture location, screen resolution)

start it with a command file like this (frontier.bat)

start dosbox \game\frontier.exe -conf front.conf -noconsole -exit
exit

all files have to be in your frontier directory together with dos-box.exe and it's dll's (i.e. "D:\games\frontier\game\"; dosbox and files goes to "frontier")

tip: you can even install your game like you did from floppy or CD with dos-box.

greetz
cmdr potsmoke66

Frontier GL

I've just downloaded and istalled the GLFrontier version and all the t*******s, but I can't get it to run full screen. My Os is Windows 7 ultimate. Can anyone help please.

Cheers

Cragsta

Let's be fair to the guy - he did wait for 3 1/2 hours on a Saturday night before passing judgement on the forum. Any other forum for a games company would have people sitting ready to answer every and any question 24/7 and they would be expected to search the forums for arbitrary questions... I mean really you have to feel for the guy.

let's be fair to the guy - he did wait for 3 1/2 hours on a saturday night before passing judgement on the forum. Any other forum for a games company would have people sitting ready to answer every and any question 24/7 and they would be expected to search the forums for arbitrary questions... I mean really you have to feel for the guy.
:D Hehehe.

I still opt for verbally brutalizing him, the posters here are generally too level headed to be legitimate flame targets and flaming bots is just not fun.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Sorry,

Would have helped, but as it was a Saturday night, I was out enjoying myself.

:cool:

Frontier GL in German Language

Ich suche Frontier GL in deutscher Sprache. Gibt es eine solche Version?

Seeking GL frontier in German. Is there such a version?

Thanks Daniel

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3551239#3551239
Deepstar said:
Nein, es gibt keine veröffentliche Deutsche Version davon.

Da das Spiel allerdings open source ist kannst du gerne das Spiel selbst übersetzen :)

Wobei ich sagen muss, so wirklich komplexes englisch hatten die beiden ersten Elites nie, da kommt man mit Schulenglisch sehr gut durch, daher sehe ich auch die Not in einer Übersetzung auch nicht so wirklich muss ich sagen :)

For those who don't speak German, here is what he said :

No, there is no published German version of it.

But as the game is open source, you're welcome to translate the game itself.

Although I must say, really complex had English first two Elites never because you get to school by English very well, so I also see the need in a translation not so really I have to say
(^^^ Google Translate, I think he was saying :)

Although I must say, the first two Elites never really had complex English if you learnt English very well, so I do not really see the need in a translation, I have to say.

I hope that answers your question and that I haven't messed up the answer in German too much. :eek:
(I have, see the next post by Boringnick)

Oh and Welcome to the forum Daniel :D

Last edited:
You said in the Egosoft forum that you're learning German, so let me help you with it:

I think he was saying:

Although I must say, the first two Elites never really had complex English if you learnt English very well, so I do not really see the need in a translation, I have to say.

Your translation has a slight failure here. It actually inverses the meaning! What he actually wrote was:

"the first two Elites never really had complex English and one can understand them with school English very well". (not a word for word translation but comes close)

"School English" = means that you learned it in school but actually don't use it in real life much and your proficiency is not that great. The opposite to "learnt English very well".

Last edited:
Top Bottom