The Gnosis Isn't Going To The Cone Sector, And Was Never Going To.

I'll choose, for now, to differentiate between "disabled" and "wrecked", and think of the scouts as the vanguard, waiting for the larger ships to come and do the actual pummeling.

Whether this is misguided, we'll see, I guess.

You never know, maybe FD might pull out one of these sparkly Thargoid Motherships :eek:.

Where is this interpretation of events coming from? The systems they were trying to jump to were not initially locked, only surrounded by locked systems, and weren't locked until after the jump was publicized if I'm recalling events correctly. Additionally there isn't anything to suggest FDev denied the request and had their hand forced by Canonn "insisting" on anything. In fact, FDev's own wording suggested Canonn didn't know of this outcome or the intent to prevent them from reaching the systems for future narrative reasons.

He's trying to blame Canonn for playing frontiers game and asking nicely to move a ship. I dont get it either but there you go.

Cannon insisted. FD instead of saying simply no for design reasons, choose way to weave story into lore, because they felt getting accused of God mode was getting bored.

Forcing every ship in the game to carry a mandatory, unmodifiable, non-bypassable, navigation computer that the FSD is slaved to which enforces permit limits with a 100% success rate is already way beyond that.

It was never meant to get there. Regions in ED are locked for a reason.

Yeah they're locked for the delivery of 'future content'.

However (and I realise that as a very casual player you might not be aware of this, or may have forgotten in your rush to polish your lance and mount your white charger yet again) they have been locked for delivery of 'future content' since MAY 2016. Hell, Polaris has been permit locked since I started playing which will be three years next month.

So tell me, do you think it's actually unrealistic of players to expect that over TWO DAMN YEARS later, some of that famed 'future content' may have actually turned into 'current content'? Especially coming immediately after a point update with a 2 gigabyte download last week?

Personally, I don't think that's unreasonable at all and that's where much of the disappointment that some players feel is coming from.

Like a lot of players, I actually hoped that the reason three specific systems had been left unlocked in the permit locked sector was that there was going to be some even vaguely significant new content there for us to discover and engage with. Maybe something that could drive an actual narrative forward with regard to the Thargoids because so far their 'narrative seems to consist of 'they blow things up and they keep sending bigger ships'. Let's be frank; it's hardly Tolstoy is it? There's actually way more genuine narrative around the Guardians than what is supposed to be the legendary 'big bad' of Elite.

Yeah it's great that the first ever live attack on a megaship happened. It looked great in the video that I watched after I got up, before I went to work, by which time it had already ended.

So what do we have now? A new Thargoid for people to shoot, even bigger than the last one, which was even bigger than the one before.

Really, I'm totally delighted for those players who can sate their gaming needs by just shooting bigger and bigger NPCs, for no meaningful purpose whatsoever. Nothing to be done with any of the stuff they drop, nothing even faintly resembling a storyline around them. Just target practice.

Since the INRA bases were found God knows how long ago, there has been essentially nothing to move anything resembling a story around them forward. We know nothing more about them, where they're from, what they want, literally nothing. The game used to have an evolving mystery around them, what the hell happened to it?

The whole thing has just left me feeling somewhat meh. I can understand what FDev tried to do in terms of not wanting to just say 'nope' to Canonn and fair play to them for trying to balance out their need to keep a lock on the sector without just dropping the player group's plan completely, but what it's really served to highlight is just how much people are crying out for some really in-depth content in the game rather than superficial 'here, have a bigger thing to shoot and shut up for another few months'

Jam tomorrow...

Final point - I will (and do) happily praise FDev when they do praiseworthy things with the game. I'm not in any way a hater, or someone consumed with relentless negativity. However that is where my legitimacy comes from when what I have to say about something may be less complimentary and much as they expect us players to do, I'm sure they understand that they need to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to feedback.

Last edited:
Just to say that as of about 5 mins ago I was sitting in open splatting Thargoids at the Gnosis - so looks like it's gone the other way - no way anyone's getting insta gibbed - it's a duckshoot - soon as the Thargoids warp in I pop them in about 2 shots.
Somewhere between the two extremes might be an idea......

Just to say that as of about 5 mins ago I was sitting in open splatting Thargoids at the Gnosis - so looks like it's gone the other way - no way anyone's getting insta gibbed - it's a duckshoot - soon as the Thargoids warp in I pop them in about 2 shots.

Lifting the NFZ was a good change, but the rest of the 'fixes' went too far.

I'm out there in an exploration-based Clipper with 86MJ of shields, so I suspect I'll be putting that theory to a hard test when I undock shortly :D Although I'll probably be flying back to the bubble.

Sorry I'm miffed.
'It was never going to jump' is a bit of a kick in the hazelnuts considering the hype train that they did nothing to stop.

Thing is now they've broken the fourth wall and explained their though processes and why they did what they did, I do understand it and have a degree of sympathy. They've been roasted for God-modding and just roflstomping stuff in the past, so I can totally understand why they tried a different approach here; given that the fact is there was never any content to be delivered behind the lock anyway, they at least tried to make something happen out there. It's only fair to acknowledge that.

My own issue with it is really more around the simple fact that there was never any content to be discovered in the Cone Sector to begin with and that over two years after those locks were put in place, we're still Waiting for Godot in terms of the significant lore delivery which is presumably intended.

I don't expect a weekly thrill ride from the game with things moving along at a brisk pace but really, it was January 2017 when the first Thargoid interdictions happened. 20 months ago. 14 months since the Thargoid surface sites were discovered. Since then, the sum total of new Thargoid related shenanigans has consisted of bigger ship, bigger ship, smaller ship, another bigger ship. That's what's irking me. It's not really the kind of pacing that you might expect and the level of dedication that players need to remain engaged in the face of it is very much at the high end of the scale.

Once more, I'd like a quote of FD stating the event wasn't possible before the actual event.

THAT I can do.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-Cone-Sector?p=6986250&viewfull=1#post6986250

and

Hey Rainbro,

Just to clarify from the post above.

The area of space (Cone sector) that the Gnosis was aiming to jump to was never a location that was able to jump to. This is because the location is specifically meant to be used for future narrative. That's the reason why the initiative from the community was weaved into the actual lore of the game.

Thanks,

Zac

It was never meant to get there. Regions in ED are locked for a reason.

Cannon insisted. FD instead of saying simply no for design reasons, choose way to weave story into lore, because they felt getting accused of God mode was getting bored.

Fdev could've said, nope not that system, when Cannon requested it.
Now they misled thousands of players knowing it wasn't going to happen, they even hyped the darn thing the day before it was supposed to take place.
Yup Fdev handled this charmingly.

Both of those are AFTER the outcome was known. What was requested was BEFORE.

OH... see.. it's actually possible to read Flowey's sentence two different ways.

for clarification, NO.. FD didn't tell anyone that it wasn't possible before the attempted jump was made, even though they knew that the jump wasn't possible BEFORE the jump was made.

Clear as mud?

OH... see.. it's actually possible to read Flowey's sentence two different ways.

for clarification, NO.. FD didn't tell anyone that it wasn't possible before the attempted jump was made, even though they knew that the jump wasn't possible BEFORE the jump was made.

Clear as mud?

I forgot the announcement made by Will was made before the event.

Clear as mud?
I'd say it's been clear to most of us the FDev was exclusive in this knowledge beforehand. But a few seem to think otherwise even to the point of accusing Canonn of knowingly and belligerently trying to violate that impossibility.

Yeah they're locked for the delivery of 'future content'.

However (and I realise that as a very casual player you might not be aware of this, or may have forgotten in your rush to polish your lance and mount your white charger yet again) they have been locked for delivery of 'future content' since MAY 2016. Hell, Polaris has been permit locked since I started playing which will be three years next month.

So tell me, do you think it's actually unrealistic of players to expect that over TWO DAMN YEARS later, some of that famed 'future content' may have actually turned into 'current content'? Especially coming immediately after a point update with a 2 gigabyte download last week?

Personally, I don't think that's unreasonable at all and that's where much of the disappointment that some players feel is coming from.

Like a lot of players, I actually hoped that the reason three specific systems had been left unlocked in the permit locked sector was that there was going to be some even vaguely significant new content there for us to discover and engage with. Maybe something that could drive an actual narrative forward with regard to the Thargoids because so far their 'narrative seems to consist of 'they blow things up and they keep sending bigger ships'. Let's be frank; it's hardly Tolstoy is it? There's actually way more genuine narrative around the Guardians than what is supposed to be the legendary 'big bad' of Elite.

Yeah it's great that the first ever live attack on a megaship happened. It looked great in the video that I watched after I got up, before I went to work, by which time it had already ended.

So what do we have now? A new Thargoid for people to shoot, even bigger than the last one, which was even bigger than the one before.

Really, I'm totally delighted for those players who can sate their gaming needs by just shooting bigger and bigger NPCs, for no meaningful purpose whatsoever. Nothing to be done with any of the stuff they drop, nothing even faintly resembling a storyline around them. Just target practice.

Since the INRA bases were found God knows how long ago, there has been essentially nothing to move anything resembling a story around them forward. We know nothing more about them, where they're from, what they want, literally nothing. The game used to have an evolving mystery around them, what the hell happened to it?

The whole thing has just left me feeling somewhat meh. I can understand what FDev tried to do in terms of not wanting to just say 'nope' to Canonn and fair play to them for trying to balance out their need to keep a lock on the sector without just dropping the player group's plan completely, but what it's really served to highlight is just how much people are crying out for some really in-depth content in the game rather than superficial 'here, have a bigger thing to shoot and shut up for another few months'

Jam tomorrow...

Final point - I will (and do) happily praise FDev when they do praiseworthy things with the game. I'm not in any way a hater, or someone consumed with relentless negativity. However that is where my legitimacy comes from when what I have to say about something may be less complimentary and much as they expect us players to do, I'm sure they understand that they need to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to feedback.

This pretty much sums up my hopes and expectations exactly. Certainly, I didn't expect to be flying back to Maia trying to think of something to do with my time in game.

Top Bottom