The Golconda - Overview of Phases

The new outpost, with an agricultural installation close by, and the Golconda dimly visible in the distance:

Managed to land on the outpost, not as simple as it sounds considering the number of NPCs also trying to claim the three landing slots at the same time. Would have been better served with a planetary base with a lot of slots.

The new outpost, with an agricultural installation close by, and the Golconda dimly visible in the distance:

Managed to land on the outpost, not as simple as it sounds considering the number of NPCs also trying to claim the three landing slots at the same time. Would have been better served with a planetary base with a lot of slots.
Well the Empire did say....

Just purchased the collection, these are from stations with 15% discount. I don't know whether the 15% is taken into consideration.

Federal Corvette: 101,256,794 credits
Federal Dropship: 7,710,885 credits
Federal Assualt Ship: 10,673,666 credits
Federal Gunship: 19,292,666 credits
Eagle 37,128 credits

Just purchased the collection, these are from stations with 15% discount. I don't know whether the 15% is taken into consideration.
It is. As is your CMDRs additional discount for being Elite ranked.

Still it's a fairly significant discount from the CG...~30%.

I guess that means if I swapped the hull of a Corvette for a new one, I could shave off about 3mil of my rebuy cost. That's not worth the hassle to me.

Now I feel almost as decadent as an Imp. 😅

It is. As is your CMDRs additional discount for being Elite ranked.

Still it's a fairly significant discount from the CG...~30%.
TBH, never knew that Elite ranked would get extra discount.
It is nice having all the Core Dynamics ships for around the normal list price for the Corvette. I have never really given the Federal ships a try, I guess now is the time.

Very nice. And dare I say, called it! 😁

I guess that means if I swapped the hull of a Corvette for a new one, I could shave off about 3mil of my rebuy cost. That's not worth the hassle to me.

Now I feel almost as decadent as an Imp. 😅
I just did it and i shaved about 2.72 millions of the rebuy cost or 54.5 millions of the total ship value.
Oh, well - I am cheap

The hull discount will apply to transfer costs as well, if you're in the habit of towing the Corvette around...

Some additional thoughts now that I've had a chance to take a look in person...

Ideally the Outpost option would come with a residential Installation. Large installations can have easily hundreds of times the internal volume of an outpost, and that's before you even consider that in many of the outpost models much of the internal volume has to be occupied by docking bay stuff.

The International Space Station has a pressurized volume of about 1000 m3, and can theoretically house about 8 people (although it very rarely has that many aboard at once). That works out to 125 m3 per person. Pulling a random urban geography study off the Google, that is comparable to the volumetric housing density of severely overcrowded rental housing on Earth. So let's call that "pretty cramped but livable".

The Civilian Outpost model has two large modules that look habitable. One is about 400x200x80 meters, and the other is about 400x130x60m. That gives a total of 9.5M m3. So if the entire interior is solid residential housing, as crowded as the ISS or tenement housing, it can hold about 76,000 people. Thus, I guess if you a assume "tens of thousands" means like 20,000 or so, a single outpost actually could hold reasonable-ish sized apartments for all of them. Still not going to be much room for zero-g handball courts or other amenities, though!
The Golcondans did in fact get a Civilian Outpost, so the above numbers hold. Fortunately for them, they have also been given an installation. While the Agricultural model isn't the largest installation available, the main block still has on the order of 100 times greater internal volume than the presumed habitation modules on the outpost. If even a fraction of that is devoted to residential space (I can't imagine it's exclusively agricultural production facilities inside) then they'll have a very reasonable amount of living space for a population of 20,000 or so. Another nice feature of the Agricultural installation is the spinning farm domes. It may not be a planet, but they'll have the opportunity to feel grass under their feet. Those domes are around 300m diameter, so even plenty of space for a football match now and then!

I also like that the Golcondans got their own faction, and the outpost (actually the entire instance) is under their control. Their faction doesn't show up in the influence table, so presumably it's cut off from the BGS - sensible, since they're supposed to be isolationists, so (for now) they don't care about influence in the system, much less getting into conflicts or conducting expansions. However, since they are described as isolationist, it's a bit jarring to see every faction in the system offering missions and passengers at their outpost. Especially since the Golcondans themselves don't offer these!

The Golconda is there too, parked 30 km from the outpost. A good distance for a vehicle you want to preserve as a museum or a shrine, but don't necessarily trust not to break up or explode some day. The log messages can still be accessed, via comm beacons positioned near the ship. Missed opportunity not adding a final message recording this emotional farewell to the Golconda we read about in Galnet.

Seems a bit odd Forester's Choice has a PAX lounge and it seems a bit busy in the medium traffic queue.

[Edit: Also has a remarkably well stocked Outfitting, and why couldn't we help transport the settlers over?]

Last edited:
I think with FDev merely utilising the existing in-game assets, they have managed to flesh out a good story with a logical ending and final placement of assets in system. (IMHO Story-wise Fdev have mis-stepped with all the missions being offered at isolationist Forester's Choice AND not having a post-script message at the Golconda detailing the occupants departure to their new home...... as pointed out above; by Cmdr Maolagin)

Is it possible to claim the decal without going to the station? I kinda wondered off into the black...
Nope you have to be in system and land..

'The Golconda' decal will be available to commanders who dock at Forester's Choice or either Federation or Empire megaship from 5 December to 16 December.
They spoilered it to allow you to plan as the system is out side the bubble allready... if you can't make it back by 16th the time limit expires so best for get about it...

Top Bottom