The great big immersive 3D VR Index

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Thought it might be nice to have a little bit of an index on certain threads here in the VR Section.

Important information and update threads:
Elite Dangerous VR news article...
Oculus pre order information
VR minimum specification for Elite Dangerous

Oculus Rift Threads:

The Oculus Rift CV1 Discussion Thread
Oculus Rift & Windows 10 Thread
Supersampling Guide for DK2 - 1440P Resolution! (VIDEO)
Oculus Rift Community Request List
Oculus Rift General Discussion and OR Games to try out Thread
Rift Judder and FPS discussion thread.
ED and the Oculus Rift Developers Kit 2 (DK2) Discussion Thread
ED, the rift and sweetFX
Idea of Scale
Oculus Rifts Running Maxed Settings, please add your hardware here
Getting the Best DK2 VR Experience: Guide/Compendium for NVIDIA Users
DETAILED DK2 SETUP
How to get the DK2 working
Elite Dangerous, the DK2 and SLI discussion thread.
Tips & Suggestions: 'Galaxy Map' with OR
Got that CV1 finally.

Other VR Threads

The Vive discussion Thread
Playing Elite with Google Cardboard
Samsung Gear VR with ED??
Oculus vs. Vive 'head 2 head' in elite

Any suggestions are welcome.

New section for the 1.3 update from Oculus.

Wow and Wow again : DK2 and new ED patch and Oculus 1.3 : TIPS FOR SETUP
Extremely bad performance with certain high end ATI cards and Steam VR in Supercruise
Elite, Runtime 1.3 and your DK2

Our very own Dr of the VR posted this which might be of help.

Detailed DK2/CV1 Setup Guide with Oculus Runtime 1.3

DK2

1) Uninstall your Oculus runtime and other software and restart NB: If upon restart your desktop is weird and no windows open, your Oculus needs to be turned off (in some cases it becomes the primary screen)
2) Download the software here: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/setup/
3) Run it and let it begin downloading the drivers
4) Download the latest Nvidia Drivers and install them in the meantime. Don't restart until the drivers have finished downloading on Oculus
5) Go through the wizard, setting up an account etc. When you get to the bits about setting up the CV1, just skip most of it, including the bit where you have to plug in your rift and get it to detect etc.
6) The Home will open and you'll get a warning about the DK2 not being supported. Put the DK2 on and you will see that is not the case.
7) In the DESKTOP version of Home (both are always open), go to settings > general > Allow unknown sources - switch this last on
8) Run Elite, switch to HMD (Speakers/Headphones) and you might need to restart after this
9) Start the game, if it bugs out don't worry, start it again and second time should be fine.

Also, see this thread for getting it working beautifully otherwise, and for future tweaks etc.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/121355

Last edited by a moderator:

Avago Earo

Banned
Cheers!

Maybe a thread called something like 'Home Made VR', although this could be under the 'Playing Elite With Google Cardboard' one but maybe a more specific title like the one I suggested would be easier to locate for someone wanting advice and info on using Apps such as Trinus Gyre

Updated with the SDK links I took down as stickies. They are only semi-relevant (and are covered in another sticky anyway) now so don't need to be on the front page

Sir.Tj

Volunteer Moderator
Added a few more threads. :)

If you think any could go in the list let one of us lovely mods know.

All I have to say is check out the game “Papa Sangre 2” for iPhone/iPad. That is the first time I experienced 3d audioscapes, you play with your eyes closed and headphones in, and it was the closest thing to virtual reality I’ve ever experienced, and there were absolutely no visuals! Combining that with the oculus would be incredible.

Sir.Tj

Volunteer Moderator
Updated the 1st post with info on the new OR runtime and Issues getting ED to run.

Feel free to let me know if you think any other threads would help.

I think allowing more than one Vive thread would help. You cannot possibly think that no one notices that there are multiple Rift threads, yet when anyone tries to open a legitimate thread that happens to be about the Vive, it gets closed down, citing that "There is a Vive thread." So should my questions about getting the game to run in VR be placed in the same thread as people talking about shipping, with the people talking about room setup, with the people talking about Vive control options? That's not practical...

I think allowing more than one Vive thread would help. You cannot possibly think that no one notices that there are multiple Rift threads, yet when anyone tries to open a legitimate thread that happens to be about the Vive, it gets closed down, citing that "There is a Vive thread." So should my questions about getting the game to run in VR be placed in the same thread as people talking about shipping, with the people talking about room setup, with the people talking about Vive control options? That's not practical...

Agreed. This index could use an update to include the various vive threads popping up.

Maybe this should be titled the 3D Oculus VR Index. They shepherd us into two threads so they don't have to deal with us.

Is there a similar "AR" or at least just "control immersion" not "VR" post e.g. all the voice and/or headtracking options unified? Curious if for example the new Razer Stargazer realsense camera with opentrack or whatnot might be an option for the days I don't want to strap the Vive to my face, etc....

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom