The Great ELW Fishing Expedition

Going strong.. This one does not look very comfortable to live on

Going back to the FC to pick up my long range ship. I found some interesting places @ -3000ly

Screenshot_1005.jpg

Can I ask the expert ELW hunters here if I'm visiting the best star classes. I'm reading that F is best, G is good, but I've heard elsewhere A is good. What two or three star classes are best to focus on?
Sorry I'm sure this has come up before.
I'm flying a line starting 50ly out from the carrier toward Explorers Rest station not far from Sagittarius A*.

Can I ask the expert ELW hunters here if I'm visiting the best star classes. I'm reading that F is best, G is good, but I've heard elsewhere A is good. What two or three star classes are best to focus on?
I'm flying a line starting 50ly out from the carrier toward Explorers Rest station not far from Sagittarius A*.
G, F, and A are the best ones to find ELWs (F being the absolute best). You will also find your fair share in K class systems as well.

My best advice....find a D-mass cube with 10K+ systems...filter for just A and F stars...and slow troll across it in Eco mode several times....if you get a hit or two..make several more passes and get a sample of say 500 or so..that'll give you a good idea of how many are in the cube total...if you get a hit rate of one in 45 or so....strip mine it...just the A and F systems though...don't waste your time with G or K systems...at best they will have a one in 100 hit rate.

Last edited:
Sure, filtering to A and F is the best. Filtering G is decent, but if you want to maximise your chances, it's better not to: half of G systems will be mass code C (instead of D), where your chances of Earth-likes are significantly lower.
Take a look at these charts compiled at EDAstro, from all the crowdsourced data:
systemstarplanets.png

And for the full picture, also this:

sectormassplanets.png

These show nicely why you'll want to stick with A and F, since going into G (and K) will also lead you down to mass code C. For a more detailed breakdown of star types and mass codes, see this thread.

My best advice....find a D-mass cube with 10K+ systems...filter for just A and F stars...and slow troll across it in Eco mode several times....if you get a hit or two..make several more passes and get a sample of say 500 or so..that'll give you a good idea of how many are in the cube toatal...if you get a hit rate of one in 45 or so....strip mine it...just the A and F systems though...don't waste your time with G or K systems...at best they will have a one in 100 hit rate.
Great chart above 👍
When I login again in my morning I'll see if I can unravel exactly what you mean by a D-mass cube, since the only Google search result I can find is a 2019 Reddit thread where you are talking about them.
I see grid lines on a flat plane on the ship's galaxy map, but not sure how I can identify a cube out of that. I still play on Horizons if it makes a difference.

When I login again in my morning I'll see if I can unravel exactly what you mean by a D-mass cube
You can find an excellent visualization of the galaxy is broken down into mass codes and boxels here.
Or, in short, you're looking for the last letter in a system's name, the one after which only numbers come: for example, the bolded letter in "Angosk OM-W d1-0" is in a mass code D boxel.
Horizons or Odyssey doesn't matter, and the grid lines on the galaxy map correspond to coordinates, not how the galaxy generation is structured.

Great chart above 👍
When I login again in my morning I'll see if I can unravel exactly what you mean by a D-mass cube, since the only Google search result I can find is a 2019 Reddit thread where you are talking about them.
I see grid lines on a flat plane on the ship's galaxy map, but not sure how I can identify a cube out of that. I still play on Horizons if it makes a difference.
The cubes are simply put, sub divisions of each sector. Each sector itself is just a big cube measuring 1280 LY on each side...An "H" cube is the entire sector..it is divided into 8 "G" mass cubes measuring 640LY on each side which in turn has 8 "F" cubes 320LY...on down the line...until you get to "A" mass cubes which are 10LY across and usually only have brown dwarf stars....I don't know EXACT numbers, but suffice it to say...the mass majority of ELWs are found in either "D" or "C" mass cubes...the D cubes having roughly twice as many ELWs as C cubes...and there are roughly 6 times as many C systems as there are D systems in total number of systems ...why i never even waste time with a G or K class star system.

In the pic posted below....the one in red was ZUNOU IN-B D13-xxxxx (it had 13200 D systems and had like a 1 in 40 hit rate) The green circle is a whole "E" cube with it's 8 smaller D cubes...the one in blue had an astounding hit rate of 1 in 36 hit rate for ELWs...the lower two adjacent cubes circled in green had a "decent" hit rate of around 1 in 55-60...the rest of the "E" cube wasn't worth searching...as the other 5 "D" cubes inside it were well over MY galactic average of around 1 in 70

cubes in ZUNOU.jpg

You found more in a day than I have ever... :ROFLMAO:
By chance, I'm in a D cube. So F and A, I'll drop the Gs.
Not sure this is an exercise I want to make a 'gaming career' of, but I'll play a while :)

@CHIGGY VONRICTOFEN not sure if you still wanted your expedition to be mentioned in the Hutton Live radio show - I've sent several messages, but not seen a reply :( For the moment I'll assume it's not something you're looking for, and that's fine :)

You found more in a day than I have ever... :ROFLMAO:
By chance, I'm in a D cube. So F and A, I'll drop the Gs.
Not sure this is an exercise I want to make a 'gaming career' of, but I'll play a while :)
Well...I did have a double hehe...I made like 150 jumps last night..If no ELW spike...on with the next jump..fast as I could go. It used to be faster, before the FSS and the blue blobs.
If you filter for just A/F and take whatever the galaxy map gives you, you get around a 1 in 70 hit rate...the cube I'm in is real close to twice that rate..

It can also operate in reverse...if you search 40-50 in a cube and DON'T find any..get out and try another cube...Ive seen quite a few that way...if the cube has a good hit rate, you'll know just by crossing it once in eco-mode.

Last edited:
Well...I did have a double hehe...I made like 150 jumps last night..If no ELW spike...on with the next jump..fast as I could go. It used to be faster, before the FSS and the blue blobs.
If you filter for just A/F and take whatever the galaxy map gives you, you get around a 1 in 70 hit rate...the cube I'm in is real close to twice that rate..

It can also operate in reverse...if you search 40-50 in a cube and DON'T find any..get out and try another cube...Ive seen quite a few that way...if the cube has a good hit rate, you'll know just by crossing it once in eco-mode.
OK I have done around 150 eco jumps looking for the ELW spike on DSS, but the first 100 were not necessarily in the same cube and G stars were included for a bit at the beginning. No luck so far.

And suddenly you find two within 10 jumps.. That is RNJesus for you...
And THAT is the cube you you devote to further investigation...500-1000 systems...if you get say 10-12 or more in first 500..strip mine it. you can see it in this map. Red circles are where i found one and did another pass and nada....moved on....yellow was promising.. i devoted a few hundred jumps but was just average, green i hit 3 just crossing...another 500 and had 14 elws..so i started strip mining...after 2000 out of 10000 systems..i can just about estimate exact amount of ELWs present. Fastest way to chop down a tree is with a sharp ax....don't waste time with a dull blade...lol

cube hunting.JPG

Top Bottom