The Great Pre-Upgraded Gear Sharing is Caring Thread

Thanks to @anthonycsheehy, @Darkman Returns and @CMDR Charybdis (and others!) in this thread, we've got a working theory about how the pre-upgraded weapons and suits work in Pioneer shops. I wanted to start this thread as a way for the community to share when they find these items so others can benefit from it but it's important that we know how it works before we do that.

So, before you reply to this thread, please read this fully!

1. We don't yet know exactly the "why" (as in why they appear when and where they appear, not why Fdev added them) but some weapons and suits that are pre-upgraded (so far we've seen no higher than G3) and with randomly applied engineering modules fitted are available to buy for credits.
  2. We do know that this is persistent between commanders (evidence)
  3. We do know that the item then instantly disapears once bought by one commander (evidence)
    1. The sharer will still see the item! But it's not there, so please don't share it twice - it'll disappear when you relog/reenter
  4. With the information provided to us by Fdev and the longest time between "share and collect" now recorded at 11.5 hours, I'd suggest that we can assume these items remain in stock until bought or a server change/tick alters their state. That is to say, there's not a timer to them and they remain in place until bought.
  5. We know that these items tend to "stock up" after a server restart, so once a week definitely on a Thursday after the weekly maintenance.
Here's an image of a G3 Maverick suit that has no modules fitted (so you'd be free to fit your own 2 engineered modules to it):
1621599296327.png

What we can do:

1. If you find one of these items and you want it, just buy it! But please don't share it here, because no one else can get it anyway. By all means, if you want to test the theory and have someone else check it after you bought it, please do so and report your findings in this thread
  2. If you find one of these items and you don't wish to buy it, please share! Post it here (preferably with a screenshot but not necessary)
    1. If the item is rare (G3 quality is generally rare and any item with a mod already installed - the light blue ones) then please consider posting just that you've found the item and then people can quote you and you can DM the location to them
    2. It is suggested you offer the location to the first respondant only, it's only fair that way but it's up to you of course
    3. When you get an item this way, thank them and let them know you got it!
    4. The sharer can then update their post/quote their post to tell everyone the item is claimed
    5. If the item is just an empty G2 item then I'd suggest just sharing the location as these are very common.
  3. If you read this thread and see an item you want, message the person sharing it and they can tell you the location if you're first
    1. This is important. PLEASE TELL THEM YOU GOT IT OR REPLY HERE TO SAY YOU GOT IT.
    2. This part is important and this is definitely half of the "caring" part of this thread.
    3. If the item is shared publically, just say you're getting it and please thank the person sharing it, it's just common courtesy.
Here's an example of what you can say when you share:

Artemis G2
Executioner G2
Dominator G2 - Night Vision

First to quote gets the location in DM!

And then when one is claimed, edit:

Artemis G2
Executioner G2
Dominator G2 - Night Vision

Good hunting and sharing :)

Last edited:
Edit: This is now GONE.

So here's the first share!

Paulo da Gama Station in HR 5243

1621604457493.png

I would like this but I'm not going to buy it. This was found by @Retropolitan and he's kindly shared it. What I want to try is someone here to come and buy it and then let me know. I will then try to buy it (to see if me staying here keeps it "locked" to buy with more than one commander).

This is a good chance to test how this works so please reply and let me know if you're coming to grab it and when you've bought it.

Last edited:
So here's the first share!

View attachment 228538

I would like this but I'm not going to buy it. This was found by @Retropolitan and he's kindly shared it. What I want to try is someone here to come and buy it and then let me know. I will then try to buy it (to see if me staying here keeps it "locked" to buy with more than one commander).

This is a good chance to test how this works so please reply and let me know if you're coming to grab it and when you've bought it.
let me know the system staion and ill go grab it

Suggestion: Add the station type/economy & system/faction state to any finds. There may be patterns.

We knew these were going to be available, and relatively rare, but hopefully generation will work a bit like HGE USS materials and we can collectively figure it out.
Great suggestion. If people want to do that then I'm happy for it. Although the thread mentioned in the OP is definitely the place where we want to "talk science" so by all means add it there too (if you don't want to then hat's cool, adding that info here will help and I'll just use it in that thread anyway). Trying to keep this one clean, if possible, so it's easy to use.

So is the hypothesis that these pre upgraded items tied randomly to a commander?
Ironically, this may actually be a faster way to get upgraded equipment than trying to find the necessary items manually.

Thanks to @anthonycsheehy, @Darkman Returns and @CMDR Charybdis (and others!) in this thread, we've got a working theory about how the pre-upgraded weapons and suits work in Pioneer shops. I wanted to start this thread as a way for the community to share when they find these items so others can benefit from it but it's important that we know how it works before we do that.

So, before you reply to this thread, please read this fully!

1. We don't yet know exactly the "why" but some weapons and suits that are pre-upgraded (so far we've seen no higher than G3) and with randomly applied engineering modules fitted are available to buy for credits.
  2. We do know that this is persistent between commanders (evidence)
  3. We do know that the item then instantly disapears once bought by one commander (evidence)
    1. We're testing a theory on this: the first commander who saw it could still see it after it was bought but it disappeared when they relogged.
    2. It may be possible for more than one to share it if the first finding it doesn't log off
    3. Results will be confirmed as we find them
  4. We still don't yet know how long these items remain in the shop or whether they disappear after a certain time
Here's an image of a G3 Maverick suit that has no modules fitted (so you'd be free to fit your own 2 engineered moduels to it):
View attachment 228492

What we can do:

1. If you find one of these items and you want it, just buy it! But please don't share it here, because no one else can get it anyway. By all means, if you want to test the theory and have someone else check it after you bought it, please do so and report your findings in this thread
  2. If you find one of these items and you don't wish to buy it, please share! Post it here (preferably with a screenshot but not necessary) including:
    1. The location (system and star port)
  3. If you read this thread and see an item you want, reply by quoting and state that you're going to get it.
    1. This is important. If we don't do this, it'll just end up annoying people.
    2. This part is important and this is definitely half of the "caring" part of this thread.
    3. It's ok to say "I'm going for it" but then someone else says it too. At the end of the day, it's not anyone's property and someone might be closer and get there first. By all means, make that a fun part of it but please don't make it into some sort of entitlement thing and start arguments over it. It's obviously first come first serve - it may even be possible to share it with them (will confirm that when we're certain)
    4. Perhaps add your distance in LY from the location. At least then another player can decide not to bother if they're further away
  4. Once you've bought it, please, please reply and tell everyone!
This will also help us perhaps work out how long these things remain up (it's also cool to reply and just say "I can still see it there, not buying it though", for science.

I'm going to spend some time today looking for pre-ups. If I find any I'm not bothered about then I'll share it here. Good hunting and sharing :)
We know the why - it is intended functionality: FDEV stated during the Livestreams prior to ALpha that pre-upgraded Suits, Personal Weapons (and potentially ship modules) would be available from time to time, at a premium.

FDEV Have stated that these pre-upgraded suits would be available on occassion but would be limited stock - so there might only be one or two available.

The WHY realy isn't a mystery at all - it was all public information.

We know the why - it is intended functionality: FDEV stated during the Livestreams prior to ALpha that pre-upgraded Suits, Personal Weapons (and potentially ship modules) would be available from time to time, at a premium.

FDEV Have stated that these pre-upgraded suits would be available on occassion but would be limited stock - so there might only be one or two available.

The WHY realy isn't a mystery at all - it was all public information.
I know that. I meant the why they pop when they pop, not the why Fdev did it. I've edited the OP to make that clearer.

So is the hypothesis that these pre upgraded items tied randomly to a commander?
Ironically, this may actually be a faster way to get upgraded equipment than trying to find the necessary items manually.
No, the hypothesis is it's persistent across all commanders and this has been proved twice so far.

Why it triggers is unknown. We're working on it in the other thread. As for it being faster? It's probably faster in some ways yes. At the end of the day, I just picked up a G3 suit - that's a fair few mats saved.

@CMDRRekoning all done? I'm about to head off.

Last edited:
TK Zenith laser pistol G2 reload speed mod
G2 Maverick suit no mods.
Kaiser Station (outpost) Epsilon Phoenicis system
Boom state , other stations in system also had G2+ items but I bought them

Top Bottom