The iconic European DLC

Recent discussions about future DLCs made me remember when I was young and was taught about our native wildlife here in Europe. I realized that I've known about the quintessential European wildlife animals all my life. But they don't feel very exotic to me because they are, well, native. I think lots of Europeans feel that way here on the forums too. Anyway, here is what I feel are the quintessential European animals for a DLC:

europe dlc.png

Yes, ibexes are awesome, and so are musk oxes, lynxes, wisents, chamois, etcetera. I'd love to see all of them. But I think the four animals above are icons for European nature, just like wolves and bears (that we already have in game in some form) and squirrels and hedgehogs (that are too small to be considered imo).

Red deer, wild boar, and european badgers would be able to share a habitat, and interestingly, so could European badgers and red foxes (they are known to burrow together and tolerate each other). However, red foxes cannot share a habitat with red deer and wild boar, as it would cause undue stress I imagine :p These four animals will provide interesting dynamics when making habitats.

The thing is that this would basically be a "woodland creatures" pack. Most other wishlists include the other animals for more variety and for the conservation message.

- the alpine ibex is just as iconic as any of the animals on your list.
- the Iberian lynx is critically endangered and is starting to gain a captive presence.
- the wisent only exists because a single Polish king decided to preserve a herd on his estates (I'll pass on this one, though).

In terms of wild pigs IMO the boar ought to be lower on the list. I'd rather see the Red River hog, babirusa, or the Visayan warty pig before the wild boar, in their associated packs of course, all of which are more important to conservation.

• the alpine ibex is just as iconic as any of the animals on your list.
  • the Iberian lynx is critically endangered and is starting to gain a captive presence.
Personally I think these are important to have in an European DLC

While I like the Wisent, it's basically the American Bison (only judging from a gamer POV - not my personal view)
In recent years they are more spread out in other European countries as well, in very small herds (nature reserves)
Tbh, less appeal when you already have the American Bison.
If they give reskins a chance - I think this could be a nice option.

Wild boar doesn't work for me. Can't explain it - but in this selection of pics, easily the less interesting one.
While it's not the typical European animal but still present in some - i'd prefer the Muskox. That way you can also address the Arctic pack, which people thought it needed those species.

Last edited:
I'd buy it for sure. I think the "problem" if one considers it a problem - I don't - is that they are animals that have quite a few more exotic or iconic derivatives, or are not European only an animals. I'd like all of these by the way, I've just been trying to get my head around what European animals there are that don't have some very similar elsewhere. It's kind of not like in other continents - animals either are very continent oriented or mostly just link back to Europe (the wolf being the exception, it's all over most of the world). Don't get me wrong though, I like the idea, I'm just having a hard time coming up with a good, unique pack.

I'd buy it for sure. I think the "problem" if one considers it a problem - I don't - is that they are animals that have quite a few more exotic or iconic derivatives, or are not European only an animals. I'd like all of these by the way, I've just been trying to get my head around what European animals there are that don't have some very similar elsewhere. It's kind of not like in other continents - animals either are very continent oriented or mostly just link back to Europe (the wolf being the exception, it's all over most of the world). Don't get me wrong though, I like the idea, I'm just having a hard time coming up with a good, unique pack.

Well, the two most popular choices are the Iberian lynx and Alpine ibex. The lynx options are the more common Eurasian, which is also a European species, or the bobcat and Canadian lynx, which could fit into a North American pack, but in terms of American cats the cougar seems like the more obvious choice. So if we assume the cougar will get into the North American pack (if one indeed is on the roadmap), then that leaves the Iberian or Eurasian for Europe. The latter is more common, as I said, both in captivity and the wild, but the Iberian is more critical and fits in better with the conservation message. In terms of European species, there aren't an enormous amount which can slot into the "in urgent need of protection" mold, so the Iberian lynx makes sense.

As for the ibex, there are of course other species - the Nubian/Walian is a popular animal in some zoos. The Alpine has more zoo-game appeal, though, as it was in both the Zoo Tycoon titles, and it's generally what most people think of (outside of North America) when they think of a mountain goat. So that one makes some sense, too.

The other two slots are IMO harder to fill. The red fox would be a good inclusion, I think, but they are widespread over every continent. There is a conservation message there - the "fox hunt" - but in some areas, like Australia, they are a serious pest and a threat to native wildlife. So it's a mixed bag. Then we can consider the deer species - the red deer and the fallow. I typically go for the fallow deer, as they exist in many walkthrough habitats which would give them a slight edge in terms of gameplay. The red deer is more iconic, however, so it's a tough choice. Both are pests in some countries as well. The wild boar is iconic, sure, and dangerous, but it's also extremely widespread, and there are other wild pigs in the world which ought to be considered first (what I mean by that is, if we get the wild boar, then the odds of them adding another wild pig to another pack are slimmer if they assume the community would be fatigued by them). The badger is an interesting one, no objections there, but again there are other similar animals which have more appeal, such as the ratel/honey badger, or the wolverine (not a badger, I know, but it comes from a similar background).

If they gave us, for example, the Eurasian brown bear, I doubt people would be very happy with that, so they'll have to think outside the box (or disappoint us, like they did with the Arctic wolf).

I would use all of those but I think I would also go for somewhat ‘wilder’ choices, so

• Alpine ibex
  • Iberian or Eurasian lynx
  • Wolverine

Again it’s hard to pick only four but for the final animal I’d suggest one of maybe Arctic fox, otter, musk ox, wisent (I don’t care if people think it’s too much like the American bison, that’s their problem) or maybe the red deer. You could also have a bird like the white stork or common crane, or even a pelican.

A must-have animal for me is the elk/moose but that might be part of a North American pack.

Well, the two most popular choices are the Iberian lynx and Alpine ibex. The lynx options are the more common Eurasian, which is also a European species, or the bobcat and Canadian lynx, which could fit into a North American pack, but in terms of American cats the cougar seems like the more obvious choice. So if we assume the cougar will get into the North American pack (if one indeed is on the roadmap), then that leaves the Iberian or Eurasian for Europe. The latter is more common, as I said, both in captivity and the wild, but the Iberian is more critical and fits in better with the conservation message. In terms of European species, there aren't an enormous amount which can slot into the "in urgent need of protection" mold, so the Iberian lynx makes sense.

As for the ibex, there are of course other species - the Nubian/Walian is a popular animal in some zoos. The Alpine has more zoo-game appeal, though, as it was in both the Zoo Tycoon titles, and it's generally what most people think of (outside of North America) when they think of a mountain goat. So that one makes some sense, too.

The other two slots are IMO harder to fill. The red fox would be a good inclusion, I think, but they are widespread over every continent. There is a conservation message there - the "fox hunt" - but in some areas, like Australia, they are a serious pest and a threat to native wildlife. So it's a mixed bag. Then we can consider the deer species - the red deer and the fallow. I typically go for the fallow deer, as they exist in many walkthrough habitats which would give them a slight edge in terms of gameplay. The red deer is more iconic, however, so it's a tough choice. Both are pests in some countries as well. The wild boar is iconic, sure, and dangerous, but it's also extremely widespread, and there are other wild pigs in the world which ought to be considered first (what I mean by that is, if we get the wild boar, then the odds of them adding another wild pig to another pack are slimmer if they assume the community would be fatigued by them). The badger is an interesting one, no objections there, but again there are other similar animals which have more appeal, such as the ratel/honey badger, or the wolverine (not a badger, I know, but it comes from a similar background).

If they gave us, for example, the Eurasian brown bear, I doubt people would be very happy with that, so they'll have to think outside the box (or disappoint us, like they did with the Arctic wolf).
Those are some really good suggestions, the Ibex and the Lynx. A deer species would work, I just wonder if all 6 habital continents have a common type of deer species like a Red Deer, White Tailed for NA, etc. It could still work but I wonder if any type of deer would be too generic across the board. I'd love the wild boar, I can't see beyond that adding in another porcine animal and as you said maybe the European badger rather than add in the American Badger - we would of course still need their hostile savannah-based cousin. :ROFLMAO: but I think having 2 badgers instead of 3 would be perfectly fine. I agree with your thoughts about the Red fox, just for the reasons you mentioned - I've never been to a non North American zoo but are red foxes common in any other parts of the world's zoos?

So yes, maybe the Ibex (antelope base rig), Lynx (new smaller cat rig that could maybe be used for Ocelots or Clouded Leopards), Wild Bar (Warthog rig) and European Badger (new rig that could be used for other smaller low to the ground animals)

@markun - I just saw your comment about the wolverine. I didn't realize until I looked it up that they are in Europe. Even though I associate them more with North America, that would be a fine choice by me. I'd love to have them in the game.

@markun - I just saw your comment about the wolverine. I didn't realize until I looked it up that they are in Europe. Even though I associate them more with North America, that would be a fine choice by me. I'd love to have them in the game.

Yes the wolverine could also be part of a North American pack. I left out the beaver too as I think that people might associate it more with North America/Canada although it's one of ours too :)

Yes the wolverine could also be part of a North American pack. I left out the beaver too as I think that people might associate it more with North America/Canada although it's one of ours too :)

Get us an otter too and we're well on our way to a second European pack. :)

And if they really want to;
they could add the crested porcupine to the European one.
By most standards people consider it an African animal but it's also present in Italy.
Works for me, I was trying to figure out how to shove it into an already packed African support DLC :ROFLMAO:

I would absolutely love the Wild Boar in the Game. The Roe Deer would be also great but I also like the Red Deer. Also the Red Fox is a great Choice that a lot of People seem to want in the Game. A Ibex would be great and the White Stork. You could also add 1 or maybe 2 Exhibit Animals. For Example the Fire Salamander, Common toad, Edible frog or the European pond turtle (some of them would also be great as Effects to place them in Ponds or maybe a special Pond Exhibit)

I also think the Alpine Ibex has a nice conservation story, in which zoos also played a very important role, so I would like to see them too. And I would prefer Eurasian Lynx over Iberian, as it is a commonly kept species in Europe and also has a strong reintroduction history in Central Europe.
For the other species, I really don't care that much, and as long as it isn't an other Brown bear or a Wolf, I would be happy about that. But I really liked the idea of getting (Dalmatian) Pelicans or Porcupines and would also put the Great Bustard and the Capercaillie at this level, as these would be some complete surprises.

If there were to be a Europe DLC pack, a combination along these lines seems most logical to me: Iberian or Eurasian lynx, Eurasian otter, wild boar, chamois or alpine ibex. I say the other because otters generally are acceptably cute addition and well-liked by zoogoers worldwide, and because they would make more sense than beavers. A note I would add about the suggestions for various types of birds: Frontier doesn’t seem too keen on adding birds that aren’t either flightless or otherwise don’t fly as much (the peafowl), so unless they whip up one large DLC pack with a bunch of traditionally flighted birds, we shouldn’t expect to see pelicans or the like. I’d also add that unless they cave on the incessant demands for marine animals, the only logical new DLC options remaining are some sort of token Europe DLC and the inevitable penguin DLC, unless they start adding species from previously addressed regions.

If there were to be a Europe DLC pack, a combination along these lines seems most logical to me: Iberian or Eurasian lynx, Eurasian otter, wild boar, chamois or alpine ibex. I say the other because otters generally are acceptably cute addition and well-liked by zoogoers worldwide, and because they would make more sense than beavers. A note I would add about the suggestions for various types of birds: Frontier doesn’t seem too keen on adding birds that aren’t either flightless or otherwise don’t fly as much (the peafowl), so unless they whip up one large DLC pack with a bunch of traditionally flighted birds, we shouldn’t expect to see pelicans or the like. I’d also add that unless they cave on the incessant demands for marine animals, the only logical new DLC options remaining are some sort of token Europe DLC and the inevitable penguin DLC, unless they start adding species from previously addressed regions.

The trouble with the otter and penguin is the same as the trouble with birds. There are no underwater navigation mechanics in the game as yet, so there'd be no real way to do the otter justice. If we had underwater navigation confirmed in an update, then I'd love the otter, but without it the otter very much loses its magic.

And if they really want to;
they could add the crested porcupine to the European one.
By most standards people consider it an African animal but it's also present in Italy.

The problem there is that you run into the same problem that is already present with the other "European" species in the game. The timber wolf is generic, so it applies to North America, Europe, and even as far as India technically. The greater flamingo is technically European, but is more commonly associated with Africa. I'm sure this doesn't especially bother you specifically, but one of the biggest complaints about European animals in-game is that they're either only technically European or broad enough that they can apply to a wide range of regions.

Again, I would love the crested porcupine - but as an African animal.

A wild boar in a game would make me freak out like some aussies do now with the dingo. Like, really, a wild boar? Don't think that's a species we need in an international zoo. The lynx is far more interesting. Even the european wild cat would be.

As for otters: "We don't have swimming animations" isn't an argument for me, as I am 99% sure Frontier will manage that eventually. However, I'd prefer the asian small-clawed ottter anyway, so we could leave that to an asian pack OR just don't use it in one of those wicked continent packs all together, but wait until they found another pattern.

I'm sorry, but here is me, being happy that we are finally over with all the shouting for an australian pack and the whoe forum discussing just this one single choice, and now, two days after the australian pack release, all starts again with europe. I can't wait for the continent packs to be over and just finally having a less predictable DLC.

A note I would add about the suggestions for various types of birds: Frontier doesn’t seem too keen on adding birds that aren’t either flightless or otherwise don’t fly as much (the peafowl), so unless they whip up one large DLC pack with a bunch of traditionally flighted birds, we shouldn’t expect to see pelicans or the like.

I wouldn’t describe pelicans as traditionally flighted in the zoo context. Although there is a move towards keeping them - and flamingos - in huge aviaries like at Odense Zoo for example, they are usually kept in the open on lakes and ponds.

As the game has set this precedent with the greater flamingo I see no reason to exclude pelicans.

A wild boar in a game would make me freak out like some aussies do now with the dingo. Like, really, a wild boar? Don't think that's a species we need in an international zoo. The lynx is far more interesting. Even the european wild cat would be.

It’s a bit like the discussion about raccoons - one person’s mundane local animal is another’s exotic curiosity. And wild boars are commonly found in zoos all over Europe at least, so it would be an understandable inclusion.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t describe pelicans as traditionally flighted in the zoo context. Although there is a move towards keeping them - and flamingos - in huge aviaries like at Odense Zoo for example, they are usually kept in the open on lakes and ponds.

As the game has set this precedent with the greater flamingo I see no reason to exclude pelicans.

It’s a bit like the discussion about raccoons - one person’s mundane local animal is another’s exotic curiosity. And wild boars are commonly found in zoos all over Europe at least, so it would be an understandable inclusion.

If we had more slots I wouldn't mind, but as @NZFanatic stated out, the lynx is endangered while absolutely non of the other animals that are named are, if my research is correct. Given the limited slots, wild boars are too close to a warthhog for me in Planet Zoo. Badgers and foxes are unique, though. Red deer might be too close to the many antilopes, but that's the animal I would call iconic for europe.

I'm sorry, but here is me, being happy that we are finally over with all the shouting for an australian pack and the whoe forum discussing just this one single choice, and now, two days after the australian pack release, all starts again with europe. I can't wait for the continent packs to be over and just finally having a less predictable DLC.

I'm honestly not at all clamouring for a European DLC and I'm not convinced one is actually coming, either. I still reckon the next DLC will be something completely different. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but we will see.

In any case, opinions are always varied. For me at least I'm looking to the future because I'm not especially thrilled with the Australia Pack. I recognise that it's unpopular to speak negatively of something Frontier doubtless worked hard on and that the majority seems to love, but that's life. I'm very eager to know what the future holds for this game and what we might expect going forward. It's also because I'd like to know whether some of the animals I and others wanted (such as the emu, Tasmanian devil, Arctic fox, capybara, and so on) will ever actually make it into the game in some fashion. Probably not as part of "continent" packs but part of other ones.

Top Bottom