The iconic European DLC

Full of american animals? Ehhhh... I can not really agree with that. I wish we had more American animals, in addition to more european animals. As far as I remember we actually have more asian animals in the base game than american.

Agree with you on this. If we go by base game alone, it's more that the game is full of African and Asian animals, with some North American snowflakes. Going by habitat animals only: Four species total, 8 total if you include the Arctic pack. Africa -28 in base game non-deluxe edition, Asia - 18 in base game non-deluxe edition. Europe has 2 in the base game both of which overlap into other continents (Flamingo and Timber Wolf) I'd say at this point North America and Europe both need more representation.

Agree with you on this. If we go by base game alone, it's more that the game is full of African and Asian animals, with some North American snowflakes. Going by habitat animals only: Four species total, 8 total if you include the Arctic pack. Africa -28 in base game non-deluxe edition, Asia - 18 in base game non-deluxe edition. Europe has 2 in the base game both of which overlap into other continents (Flamingo and Timber Wolf) I'd say at this point North America and Europe both need more representation.

If I'm correct the Timber Wolf even is wrongly labled as european. And I never saw a Flamingo in the wild where I live :D So the colder parts of europe have actually just... no animal at all. But yes, both, america and europe. deserve more representation now. The next pack would be perfect for it, in my opinion.

If I'm correct the Timber Wolf even is wrongly labled as european. And I never saw a Flamingo in the wild where I live :D So the colder parts of europe have actually just... no animal at all. But yes, both, america and europe. deserve more representation now. The next pack would be perfect for it, in my opinion.

Flamingo's are not an extremely rare sight here in the Netherlands.

Flamingos or flamingoes[1] /fləˈmɪŋɡoʊz/ are a type of wading bird in the family Phoenicopteridae, the only bird family in the order Phoenicopteriformes. Four flamingo species are distributed throughout the Americas, including the Caribbean, and two species are native to Africa, Asia, and Europe.

source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamingo

We could talk about this forever but for me the timber wolf is just a grey wolf so I am happy to have it in my game as a European animal. If a European DLC did include a Eurasian grey wolf I would personally be really fed up. It just isn't sufficiently different to North American subspecies to merit inclusion as a separate animal.

There actually is a population of greater flamingos in Nordrhein-Westfalen.

Most of the birds are Chilean flamingos from South America, but several European flamingos and even a red flamingo from the Caribbean complete the colourful company. No-ones exactly sure how the flamingos arrived in Münsterland. The most likely explanation is that the exotic birds somehow managed to escape from zoos or private collections. The European flamingos could even have flown to Central Europe from Southern Spain or the South of France by themselves.

Interesting read, but some foreign escapees, who are able to survive in some minor populations, don't really count as European animals. Otherwise, we have to count the big cats as British ;)

Interesting read, but some foreign escapees, who are able to survive in some minor populations, don't really count as European animals. Otherwise, we have to count the big cats as British ;)

They do when they already have a natural European range - Spain and France mentioned there - which the greater flamingo does. I mention the German population as a side note and in response to @Swjosdotschka's comment about the range of the flamingo.

Flamingo's are not an extremely rare sight here in the Netherlands.
source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamingo
Wait what? Where do you live around here that you regularly see flamingoes? I've been all over the Netherlands, lived in different towns and cities all my life, love to walk in nature reserves, heath and forests and swampy bird reserves, and I've never seen wild flamingoes. As far as I'm concerned they are not an authentic Dutch bird species.

Okay, obviously there are Flamingos in the colder regions of europe. But tbh, I don't count probably escaped animals that managed to survive here as foreign animals. Otherwise we could easily have parrots, wallabys and what not in a European DLC. We have to draw a line somewhere.

Okay, obviously there are Flamingos in the colder regions of europe. But tbh, I don't count probably escaped animals that managed to survive here as foreign animals. Otherwise we could easily have parrots, wallabys and what not in a European DLC. We have to draw a line somewhere.

But they are indeed European. Just not native to colder parts.

As a Spaniard, I'm proud that the only European animal included in the based game is quite common in Spain, although I also consider the Timberwolf as the general grey wolf and therefore European too (the description of the zoopedia says so, but the name of the animal doesn't match the description). Although the Artic pack added the reindeer and the polar bear (found only in Norway), Europe is still the most underrepresented continent in the game. We don't even have an exhibit animal. I wish they had added the European brown bear instead of the Himalayan brown bear in the base game. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Yes, we need red fox, european badger, red deer and a lynx species! All new animals. Please not another bison, bear or wolf.
Well, if we get all that, I'd be hapoy to get the wisent and European wolf as well, tbh. But I guess a European DLC won't get more animals than any other DLC.

Wait what? Where do you live around here that you regularly see flamingoes? I've been all over the Netherlands, lived in different towns and cities all my life, love to walk in nature reserves, heath and forests and swampy bird reserves, and I've never seen wild flamingoes. As far as I'm concerned they are not an authentic Dutch bird species.

I did not use the word regular and authentic.

And they are not authentic but they can be found in Europe as well. And in the Netherlands. For that matter the Tag Europe to me is correct.

Last edited:
This is the second time I've seen this said here, just wondering what you mean by snowflakes :D

Well, if we get all that, I'd be hapoy to get the wisent and European wolf as well, tbh. But I guess a European DLC won't get more animals than any other DLC.
To be honest, I would much rather have the ibex and a chamois or something over a wisent. At least the ibex and chamois look different enough from each other, a wisent is just the same thing as an American bison but smaller, essentially. Would not be very exiting tbh.

Frankly speaking, if any proposed European dlc had one or any combination of a wisent, brown bear or wolf species, I would flat out refuse to purchase it. No. Thank. You!

I think my perfect, ideal European dlc would be this:
  • Iberian lynx (Or Eurasian but I'd rather have Iberian)
  • Alpine ibex
  • Golden jackel or a fox species (Arctic or red. I think red would be a bit plain though.)
  • Some type of hoofed animal (Could be elk, moose, chamois, saiga antelope)
  • Fire salamander as an exhibit animal and it's exhibit "theme" is woodland.

There are marmots in Europe, mooses or arctic foxes.
Wisents were once usual all over Europe but they were exterminated almost everywhere.

No please! Another bison, wolf or brown bear is the same animals, just different name. Already enough we have 2 brown bears and 2 tigers. Looks the same! We need different animals...
Exactly. There's just no excuse to include a bison clone, a third brown bear species or fourth(!) canis lupus species/subspecies.

No please! Another bison, wolf or brown bear is the same animals, just different name. Already enough we have 2 brown bears and 2 tigers. Looks the same! We need different animals...
I don't mind seeing the Wisent, already voiced my opinion on the first page on this one.
Having more unique animals is something I prefer over the Wisent.
In recent years the Wisent has become a bit more popular in Europe (conservation efforts) and it's the National animal of 2 European countries.

Iberian Lynx/Alpine Ibex/European badger/Red Fox would be a nice European DLC

Exactly. There's just no excuse to include a bison clone, a third brown bear species or fourth(!) canis lupus species/subspecies.

The wisent is absolutely not a clone. Unlike the wolves and brown bears it is a distinct species in its own right. Given the likelihood of their only being four habitat animals in a European pack it might not be my first choice but as someone who builds mainly European zoos it’s definitely something I would appreciate.

The wisent is absolutely not a clone. Unlike the wolves and brown bears it is a distinct species in its own right. Given the likelihood of their only being four habitat animals in a European pack it might not be my first choice but as someone who builds mainly European zoos it’s definitely something I would appreciate.
My point was that is functions very similarly/fits very similar niches. I think there are much better choices to be included, which was my main argument. It's not even in my top 10 for Europe honestly. Like I said, it's inclusion would be enough for me not to buy any European dlc

Top Bottom