Modes The joys of open play

Actually I agree with you. There was another thread where someone posted a vid of 3 players ganking 2 others and somehow that's ok?

Trying to shame players on this forum for how they play the game is never ok, no matter how egregious.

I really would like to shift the conversation away from players and toward the mechanics, but so many posted videos include commander names - both from the giving and receiving end of things. Oh well.

Hi

Just now in HD 63154 B3a - Module Guardian site - while in open a fellow cmdr took my blueprint, the rat waited until I lit all the pylons and dropped the relic in the slot. He got the blueprint, and when I confronted him he logged out...

That's actually really funny!
Blueprint logger!

Welcome to Elite!

I really would like to shift the conversation away from players and toward the mechanics, but so many posted videos include commander names - both from the giving and receiving end of things. Oh well.

I know is hard to understand but my CMDR is not ME, so if you insult / Shame / Threaten etc him, you are not doing that to me.

Games give you a chance to do stuff you dont in RL, like flying arround in space, or being someone that you really are not.

Most people do not make the distintion because well lets say they are a bit short sighted, and think they are their characters.

Anyway CMDR +++++ is not me, I really dont blow up ships with people inside for a living, really I do not, but well… I dont know about you guys.

You might be right about that but I bet those few players that did try open probably went to the CG thinking it would be all sunshine and rainbows, got blown up in their shieldless type 6 and concluded that open is full of griefers.
I think their complaints don't lie in the action itself. It's the fact that ganking goes without any risk, while the shieldless type 6 faces rebuy or worse(losing everything because not enough for rebuy)

AP Birdman

Banned
I think their complaints don't lie in the action itself. It's the fact that ganking goes without any risk, while the shieldless type 6 faces rebuy or worse(losing everything because not enough for rebuy)

I'm sorry, call me a jerk but if I see someone flying shieldless in a CG I can't just let their foolishness go unpunished. At least I'm kind enough to send them a message afterwards informing them of the error of their ways and offer my help to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Any other place I'll sometimes let it slide but if you're in the CG you better be building your ship accordingly or else I'm gonna make you pay for it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, call me a jerk but if I see someone flying shieldless in a CG I can't just let their foolishness go unpunished. At leats I'm kind enough to send them a message afterwards informing them of the error of their ways and offer my help to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Any other place I'll sometimes let it slide but if you're in the CG you better be building your ship accordingly or else I'm gonna make you pay for it.

I really do not understand why someone would fly shieldless, at a CG, in Open!
In a PG as part of a wing, sure. I've done that. Even in Solo with a fast hauler I can understand.

But in Open!
With no shields!

No sympathy whatsoever for anyone who gets caught out doing that.

AP Birdman

Banned
In a PG as part of a wing, sure. I've done that. Even in Solo with a fast hauler I can understand.

But in Open!
With no shields!

I'm honestly shocked at how often I see it and even more blown away by how many times I've gotten a reply saying "why did you blow me up?"
I mean, I do wish Fdev or even myself could send out a PSA to every player warning them of what the CG in open is "unofficially" for.

I had a friend that I run cargo with who has never played in open, call me a jerk for taking part in consensual pvp in the CG because he doesn't understand what the CG is for and I know there's a lot more players like him.

Last edited:
I'm honestly shocked at how often I see it and even more blown away by how many times I've gotten a reply saying "why did you blow me up?"
I mean, I do wish Fdev or even myself could send out a PSA to every player warning them of what the CG in open is "unofficially" for.

I had a friend that I run cargo with who has never played in open, call me a jerk for taking part in consensual pvp in the CG because he doesn't understand what the CG is for and I know there's a lot more players like him.

You know people who don't understand CGs are hot spots to bring people together and encourage all types of gameplay?

You may want to point them towards the Mobius Group, if they want that style of play.
Though to be honest, shieldless at a busy CG, even in Mobius they'd still be at risk of accidental death (being accidentally rammed etc..).

Shame the game does not automatically push no shield ships to Solo the moment people hit undock.

I'm sorry, call me a jerk but if I see someone flying shieldless in a CG I can't just let their foolishness go unpunished. At least I'm kind enough to send them a message afterwards informing them of the error of their ways and offer my help to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Then you should face equal risk and pay the piper for attacking other ships unprovoked. Until then, this is a moot "point". Mine still stands valid and you know it

But in Open!
With no shields!

I did so once. In cold running Anaconda. That wanted chieftan/challenger (do not remember correctly) escaped from my multicannons just before losing his shields. I've lost about 40% of hull. I don't think that I've been caught out.
Why?... Because I wanted to test the build in PvP and was looking for new experience. Both goals achieved.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've never really been one to blow up traders, but shieldless vessels are the exception. Total rookies in lower tier ships get a message, everyone else gets these haaaaaands.

Shieldless Novice Cutters with docking computers in Shinrarta lol. Shame.

Well I have been playing an online space game since 2003 in which you characters are "capsuleers", about 3 years ago I quited it as my second job and now only go there occasionaly.
If you know the game you know about the long hours waiting for some target to appear and all the frustration it brings, you also know about the temptation of shotting at whatever, whoever passes nearby just because (even if it would not be a fair fight at all), but I never did it, my character sec status is at 5.1 and still my solo kills runs in some hundereds (I realy dont count ganks and battle kills as "my" kills).
So honestly if you are frustrated and see a noob flying around dont shot first and teach later, do the thing the other way as he will probabbly have his hands full trying to get atound the extremely unintuitive comms system.

Last edited:
Well I have been playing an online space game since 2003 in which you characters are "capsuleers", about 3 years ago I quited it as my second job and now only go there occasionaly.
If you know the game you know about the long hours waiting for some target to appear and all the frustration it brings, you also know about the temptation of shotting at whatever, whoever passes nearby just because (even if it would not be a fair fight at all), but I never did it, my character sec status is at 5.1 and still my solo kills runs in some hundereds (I realy dont count ganks and battle kills as "my" kills).
So honestly if you are frustrated and see a noob flying around dont shot first and teach later, do the thing the other way as he will probabbly have his hands full trying to get atound the extremely unintuitive comms system.

All "shooting first" taught me was that my "students" learned to never come back to that game.

As well as myself, the only thing I ever learned was that the game was against trying to do the right thing so hard, that the game died over 3-5 years ago because of it.

AP Birdman

Banned
All "shooting first" taught me was that my "students" learned to never come back to that game.

As well as myself, the only thing I ever learned was that the game was against trying to do the right thing so hard, that the game died over 3-5 years ago because of it.

I am very aware of players getting ganked then never playing again which is the main reason I send messages and offer my help and I never kill the same player more than once unless they send me a nasty, salty message, then the gloves come off.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if it griefed players leaving the game was such an issue, Fdev would've done something about it a long time ago.

Last edited:

AP Birdman

Banned
You know people who don't understand CGs are hot spots to bring people together and encourage all types of gameplay?

You may want to point them towards the Mobius Group, if they want that style of play.
Though to be honest, shieldless at a busy CG, even in Mobius they'd still be at risk of accidental death (being accidentally rammed etc..).

Shame the game does not automatically push no shield ships to Solo the moment people hit undock.

Unfortunately, we're on Xbox and don't have a mobius pg

Unfortunately, we're on Xbox and don't have a mobius pg

https://elitepve.com/page/join

How to join the Elite: Dangerous Mobius PvE groups for XBOX

Fill out the Mobius player registration sheet to join
Send a friend request to "the gamer tag "MobiusX EU" or "MobiusXUS1" - please note the spelling.
GO to "How to search for the Private Groups"
Start the game from the launcher as usual

Remember, if there is no form, then there is no approval of either the friend request or the PG approval

I'm saying nothing.....

/whistles

I am very aware of players getting ganked then never playing again which is the main reason I send messages and offer my help and I never kill the same player more than once unless they send me a nasty, salty message, then the gloves come off.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if it griefed players leaving the game was such an issue, Fdev would've done something about it a long time ago.

Well at least you didn't give that lame, proven false, notion of "oh well then this isn't the game for them" excuse.

Point is, you're not helping them in that regard. You're only helping them never want to come back to a game/genre that they would have otherwise loved and enjoyed with you even. But nah.

I've seen so many people come and go in Eve it's not even funny. Everything about Eve was something they longed for in a game, any game. But that forced "you better gank and steal and backstab or else you are not playing right" mentality is what made them leave permanently.

Top Bottom