Ships The Keelback Club

That sir, is a great way to enjoy ED! I too am not bothered in get rich quick shenanigans but love to play the game at my own pace.
You will learn a lot of the game using the keelback, it's not good at anything but can do everything! It makes you think on how to do things before you get overwhelmed by steaming right in.
O7 Cmdr

did core mining yesterday. made About 24 Millions with Lowtemperature Diamonds. Let the Fighter watch my work. That was really fun. I felt the Cold, while being in an ice ring at 0%.

This is my Keelback! There are many like it, but this one is mine!

I'm a fairly new player, tried for a bit a few years back on the XBox and could not really get into it with a game-pad controller and the GFX were 'meh'. I built up a rig to play my other favorite, X4 and thought I should also give this another try. Well, I'm good and hooked now. It's my own tour-bus of the Milky Way and I love it. Dropping onto planets and tear-ing around in the SRV is way more fun than I predicted and sometimes the vistas are just jaw dropping. Really pretty well put together flight-sim game I think overall.

So after a lot of work in an Adder scoop mining and a little step into the Cobra MkIII with a 1A Collector I was able to put together enough credits to comfortably slide into the Keelback with mostly A rated gear. Overall, I like it. It's not fast... at all... but it yaws better than the Cobra it feels like to me and with a few touches from the pimp-a-ship kit and decent paint it's really not too ugly. Looks a bit like the Aliens drop ship and I like 'non-wedge' ship designs. The Sidewinder is an abomination to me, and the Cobra needs generous pimp-a-ship help to look nice too. This one just seems at home in the dust of a ring chewing off bits of asteroids. It looks like a miner's ship.

It's a compromise design:

• 64T Cargo
  • Collection(2A) and prospecting(1A) limpets
  • 2A Refinery
  • Single SRV bay
  • 4A Shields
  • S Mount mining tools / M Mount Multicannons for a chance to fight back if I have to.
  • She can jump about ~20LY with some cargo, ~17 packed up to the ceiling.
Having 64T of cargo and two collectors is about perfect with the amount that the mining laser can chip off the 'roids. I can toggle the laser on and let it run until the 'roid is dry and move on. I like this kind of mining right now. Kind of peaceful and beautiful hanging out inside the rings. My wife HATES it. Says this is the most boring game she's ever seen played. :) I'm really just learning the ropes though but so far I enjoy the resource gathering and exploration sides the best. Combat is fun, but ultimately not my favorite side of space games.

My only gripe is that it appears the medium ships didn't get the two freebie slots the S ships did, so I pay to get into a medium and I lose functionality because I can't bring the 1A soda straw fuel scoop that I could squeeze into the Cobra. I pretty much have to give up 1/2 my cargo capacity or shields for anything else... scoop, fighter, any other scanners, etc. Seems kind of off-putting that moving up to this brick on a rocket means giving up a slot. I like heading out and searching for new 'Pristine' rings and a scoop was good insurance that I could still get back home. Now I'll have to swap in a scoop instead of a cargo rack to go out exploring a bit, that stinks.

My Cobra is now letting me get my feet wet with bounties and combat, and the Adder is traded in (My GOD that engine was annoying to listen to!).

Doing one thing she seems to be really good at doing:
DF400C95CBD539F2640C5E233F18BCF135D79A77

50186F041D902D29F2F247E750C5997595304F73

Loaded up and taking 5 million in panite and platinum to market:
4F939ADAC521B304A31364B5AB8F96A127A466CF

Last edited:
This is my Keelback! There are many like it, but this one is mine!

I'm a fairly new player, tried for a bit a few years back on the XBox and could not really get into it with a game-pad controller and the GFX were 'meh'. I built up a rig to play my other favorite, X4 and thought I should also give this another try. Well, I'm good and hooked now. It's my own tour-bus of the Milky Way and I love it. Dropping onto planets and tear-ing around in the SRV is way more fun than I predicted and sometimes the vistas are just jaw dropping. Really pretty well put together flight-sim game I think overall.

So after a lot of work in an Adder scoop mining and a little step into the Cobra MkIII with a 1A Collector I was able to put together enough credits to comfortably slide into the Keelback with mostly A rated gear. Overall, I like it. It's not fast... at all... but it yaws better than the Cobra it feels like to me and with a few touches from the pimp-a-ship kit and decent paint it's really not too ugly. Looks a bit like the Aliens drop ship and I like 'non-wedge' ship designs. The Sidewinder is an abomination to me, and the Cobra needs generous pimp-a-ship help to look nice too. This one just seems at home in the dust of a ring chewing off bits of asteroids. It looks like a miner's ship.

It's a compromise design:

• 64T Cargo
  • Collection(2A) and prospecting(1A) limpets
  • 2A Refinery
  • Single SRV bay
  • 4A Shields
  • S Mount mining tools / M Mount Multicannons for a chance to fight back if I have to.
  • She can jump about ~20LY with some cargo, ~17 packed up to the ceiling.
Having 64T of cargo and two collectors is about perfect with the amount that the mining laser can chip off the 'roids. I can toggle the laser on and let it run until the 'roid is dry and move on. I like this kind of mining right now. Kind of peaceful and beautiful hanging out inside the rings. My wife HATES it. Says this is the most boring game she's ever seen played. :) I'm really just learning the ropes though but so far I enjoy the resource gathering and exploration sides the best. Combat is fun, but ultimately not my favorite side of space games.

My only gripe is that it appears the medium ships didn't get the two freebie slots the S ships did, so I pay to get into a medium and I lose functionality because I can't bring the 1A soda straw fuel scoop that I could squeeze into the Cobra. I pretty much have to give up 1/2 my cargo capacity or shields for anything else... scoop, fighter, any other scanners, etc. Seems kind of off-putting that moving up to this brick on a rocket means giving up a slot. I like heading out and searching for new 'Pristine' rings and a scoop was good insurance that I could still get back home. Now I'll have to swap in a scoop instead of a cargo rack to go out exploring a bit, that stinks.

My Cobra is now letting me get my feet wet with bounties and combat, and the Adder is traded in (My GOD that engine was annoying to listen to!).

I'm still pretty new and haven't done anything with the mining laser as of yet or the missile thing. I have, on the other hand, cracked a few asteroids to the the tune of 200 million CR or so. Love my Keelback, 400k buyback carrying up to 60 million worth of cargo, usually low temperature diamonds, in one haul. I play solo currently and have yet to be bothered by pirates. I am engineering it for speed though with the limited engineering I've learned from Farseer. I run a 3D shield for protection against asteroids. Going to cut my mass back even further once I learn more engineering. Also used my Keelback for bounty hunting in High Resource Extraction with the SLF! Got most of my mats that way and had a lot of fun....lots of practice. Looking forward to taking it out for exploration as well! Up to 30ly right now just for mining, fully laden. Bought a T-7 and helped out with the last CG (made nearly 100 million on that alone) and just bought a Krait Mrk II to jump into those combat zones with and be a bit more effective....all due to my Keelback. Gonna be my baby for a while.

CMDR Malityr

Last edited:
I'm still pretty new and haven't done anything with the mining laser as of yet or the missile thing. I have, on the hand, cracked a few asteroids to the the tune of 200 million or so. Love my Keelback, 400k buyback carrying up to, so far, 60 million worth of cargo, usually low temperature diamonds, in one haul. I play solo currently, but haven't been bothered yet by any pirates. But it's fast with a the limited engineering I've learned from Farseer.

CMDR Malityr

I need to get some FSD engineering going on it. With 64 tons in the hold it's a little gimpy on range. I have not yet hit a good spot for cracking roids. I suppose down the road I'll go ahead and give it a whirl, but that missing 1 slot from the cobra hurts because I can't fit a DSS without giving up something else I like having with me. I also have not yet found a outstanding market for Panite. Best I'm getting so far is around 260K per ton and I've only found a single system that seems to have much of it in the rings, still end up topping off with Platinum and Osmium. But.... ya gotta keep the lights on!

Plan is to save up enough for a second hull that I will be taking out to Colonia. I love the fact that I get to 'go west young man' in the game and join in a kind of frontier development. May be a DBX that I take and procure another Keelback out there. I plan to kind of make a home there.

I need to get some FSD engineering going on it. With 64 tons in the hold it's a little gimpy on range. I have not yet hit a good spot for cracking roids. I suppose down the road I'll go ahead and give it a whirl, but that missing 1 slot from the cobra hurts because I can't fit a DSS without giving up something else I like having with me. I also have not yet found a outstanding market for Panite. Best I'm getting so far is around 260K per ton and I've only found a single system that seems to have much of it in the rings, still end up topping off with Platinum and Osmium. But.... ya gotta keep the lights on!

Plan is to save up enough for a second hull that I will be taking out to Colonia. I love the fact that I get to 'go west young man' in the game and join in a kind of frontier development. May be a DBX that I take and procure another Keelback out there. I plan to kind of make a home there.

Most ships really come alive with engineering, and the Keelie is no exception. Get to Felicity Farseer and get some work done on your FSD (G5), thrusters (G3) and power plant (G1). Its very worth while. I also highly recommend unlocking the Guardian FSD Booster, which can give you an extra 10ly jump range. That will make your trip to Colonia much more enjoyable, as well as the inevitable trip back in the future.

You may as well drop your SRV for a DSS when you're mining, particularly for roids.

EDDB is a great tool for finding must things, particularly high commodity prices. You just can't go around willy-nilly and expect good prices.

Yeah, another slot would be great in the Keelie!

Most ships really come alive with engineering, and the Keelie is no exception. Get to Felicity Farseer and get some work done on your FSD (G5), thrusters (G3) and power plant (G1). Its very worth while. I also highly recommend unlocking the Guardian FSD Booster, which can give you an extra 10ly jump range. That will make your trip to Colonia much more enjoyable, as well as the inevitable trip back in the future.

Yup, I just figured out yesterday that I will need to unlock some bubble engineers first before I head out or I can't unlock the Colonia engineers. So I'm off to the Pleiades to get my Meta Alloy and explore a bit of the nebula and then back to Farseerer to work on FSD range for sure. Power is definitely one to work on too. I'm under, but just barely with everything deployed.

You may as well drop your SRV for a DSS when you're mining, particularly for roids.

I'm getting there. I hate that though because I'll often take SRV missions in between runs since they are fun. Between the 5E Cargo Rack / 5C Fuel Scoop and then the SRV Bay / DSS scanner swaps it gets a little expensive in time and money to cart them over to my new locations. I do alright mostly without the DSS. I don't crack because I spend maybe 1-1/2hrs in a ring chiping and seem to come out pretty good. Last load was 23 tons of Painite and a bit of Platinum and Osmium that netted about 10 Million. When I get into a bigger boat I'll give cracking a whirl.

Does the DSS do anything for you if you are not after cores? Are the hotspots just cores or hotspots for the mineral/metal in general. If the latter then I should go ahead and equip it I guess.

EDDB is a great tool for finding must things, particularly high commodity prices. You just can't go around willy-nilly and expect good prices.

Thanks for that tip. I had not seen that tool before. While not willy-nilly, the Galaxy Map's limited range and needing to dock in a system to see prices did limit my ability to get top prices in new places. I'm kind of taking it easy though, trying to enjoy what I have and get the most from it rather than race to make hundreds of millions and buy everything. I was pretty dang happy with pulling 10 million last night from a couple of good Panite scores while still at 1/2 cargo.

Yeah, another slot would be great in the Keelie!

From your lips to FDevs ears. I know every ship could always use one more, but this one in particular could use just one more class 1 slot!

I finally sold my Keelback, the Matryoshka. I only keep ships that I actively use, and I just don't fly the Keelback anymore. The Type-7 is my new favorite Lakon ship.

This seems to be the story of my life - fall in love with a ship, buy cosmetics for that ship, only to fall out of love with that ship and have unusable cosmetics sitting around collecting dust. Sigh...

I finally sold my Keelback, the Matryoshka. I only keep ships that I actively use, and I just don't fly the Keelback anymore. The Type-7 is my new favorite Lakon ship.

This seems to be the story of my life - fall in love with a ship, buy cosmetics for that ship, only to fall out of love with that ship and have unusable cosmetics sitting around collecting dust. Sigh...

Nooooooo ooo OOOO oooohhhhuuuuuu!

edit: well, I go with a Python most of the time ;-)

I knew she wouldn’t be my forever ship, but she’s low expense, low rebuy and a a reasonable jumper. I’m putting her to use as an Uber in Colonia. She can handle short-range sight seeing and taxi runs no problem and make more money than she could hauling the 80ish tons of cargo she can rack. “Chip Shot” still fits and Cramer Enterprises opens a new front in passenger services.

You're KEELING me man!

The Keelback is a beautiful mercenary ship. 4 frags, SLF, enough jump range for getting exploration data or trade and all on a cheap medium pad ship. And trust me, cheap counts when the murder bounties start coming in and notoriety goes up!

Oh, how can you sold such a beauty... I cant do that, I cant. SLF + SRV and 50lys jump range... And the sound of boosting...

Top Bottom